I gained a pound this week, starvation mode?

Options
13»

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Probably water weight. You're not going to gain a pound because you're starving.

It's a POUND. A pint of water.

But do eat. Too little food and you may not go into starvation mode but you will get sick.

And exercise and lift for a beautiful body.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a small child or a midget, eat at least 1200. Ok?

you gonna offer the girl some advice or just go with this snarky retort stuff?

I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was trying to be helpful. But here is more info.

You did not gain 1 actual pound unless you ate 3,500 calories over your TDEE which you clearly could not have done if you have only been eating 1000 calories a day. Weight fluctuates, especially for women. Don't use only the scale to measure progress, take pictures and use your measuring tape.

Educate yourself on BMR and TDEE and learn that eating less than 1200 calories is not healthy.

so...... why didn't you just say that, cause clearly that would be more helpful than your original comment right.... or should someone be able to extrapolate the thought from your head... what you were thinking... rather than what you are saying?

nice that you threw in the magic number there too..... did you actually calculate her BMR or TDEE? perhaps calculate the deficit?
  • MikeDasTrainer
    Options
    Watch your sodium levels, they have been very low for someone who exercises intensly. When you work out, salt travels out from the blood and other body fluids to the surface bringing with it water. When this occurs, your electrlyte balance (including salt) becomes skewed, this can cause the body to retain more water as less salt is able to bring out heated water to the surface to sweat. As well salt aids in neurotranmission of signals from the brain that can aid in parasympathetic brian functions such as metabolism. I'm obviously not trying to say go overboard and eat 5,000g of salt per day, but youmay want to increase more to your daily allowance.

Also, side note, recent research has started to show that even extremly low sodium diets can cause an increase in blood pressure as well due to faulty water balance.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    The starvation mode that people keep talking about is the way our bodies were designed. I prefer to call it famine mode. If a famine occurs or think countries where people only have a half cup of rice a day to keep them alive, the body will adjust and cut way back on energy burning to try to keep from starving to death--hence, metabolism crashes and you do not lose weight. Keep in mind that the body needs about 1200-1400 calories a day to function. I am talking heartbeat, breathing, and other bodily functions. That is the BMR--how many calories a day we need to survive if we were in a coma. That is why you hear of people who have eating disorders dying of heart attacks--they finally did not have enough energy to keep their heart beating.

Needless to say, I believe in famine mode

I so agree. It is a proven fact by science that when your body does not get enough nutrition/calories it slows down your metabolism. Yes you will eventually loose weight on a very low calorie diet but do you really want to loose it by starving????

As for the scale I hope that dies a quick painful death...why do people insist on weighing themselves everyday??? or even every other day. I personally don't own one and go by size. Yes I do weigh in when I feel like it (usually once every two weeks) but even then I don't care what it says. Woman have a notorious tendancy to hold water at certian times and trust me if you gained 1 lb over night it's not actual fat....takes longer then that.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    you can fluctuate by a good 2lb and possibly up to 3lb in water weight and poop. go poop. problem solved.

give it time, and possibly eat back more of your exercise calories for your health.

I like this.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a normal weight fluctuation.

As long as the overall long term trend is down (if that is your goal) then it is nothing to worry about. One week is simply not enough time to extrapolate anything meaningful from...
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    darn it i don't know why that posted twice:mad:
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It looked to me like you need a little more protein and fat. Like good fats tho like Avocado, nuts and seeds. They would also add fiber.

BTW seen you eat the Fage Greek yogurt , i love that stuff too:wink:
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 8", narrow build, start weight 136lbs, now 133lbs, goal 126lbs. I track food every day and weigh the food where necessary. Workouts are one HIIT session w personal trainer where I am dripping with sweat, 1 body pump, 1 step, 1spin then 2 runs and another gym session. I exercise 6-7 days a week. Prior to dieting 3 weeks ago I exercised 4 times a week and some sessions not that intense so I have really upped the ante now. I want to tone up, I have major muffin top at moment.

STOP DIETING. RIGHT NOW!

Eat at maintenance or SLIGHTLY below, get on a heavy lifting program, get adequate protein. You will recomp your body. Upping your intense workouts and eating extremely low calories is only going to cause you to lose LBM.

I can guarantee if you lift heavy for 8 weeks, with a little moderate cardio tossed in only if you want to, eat almost maintenance and at least 100g protein per day, that you will like your body at 133lbs WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than what you're going to see at 126lbs doing crazy intense Cardio workouts... because literally everything you are doing right now is cardio... yes even the Body Pump. Protein and lifting maintain muscle or at the very least minimize loss of muscle while eating below maintenance calories to a certain extent. You're constantly eating below BMR and aren't going to get the "toned" results you are looking for by going down that path. You're going to be low weight with a high BF% still.

Your body is having a wonderful time dining on your muscle mass while you are eating at a nearly 1000calorie deficit.

I'm 5'8, 165lbs, 25% bodyfat, down from 198lbs, 30+% bodyfat and I've done it by eating at least 1600 cals a day and most of my workouts being heavy lifting. Also, check into your goal weight, 126 is on the low end for women of our height.

Sounds like you found a smart woman to give you advice -- I'd listen.
    im going to second listening to her!
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I'm eating about the same as you (I'm not working out quite so much at the moment though) and have been steadily losing 3lb a week until last week when I lost just 1lb and started to worry about 'starvation mode' but I've now put it down to my monthly cycle as now I'm back to losing again at the same rate. Is it possible it could be the same cause for you?

Are you 200lbs overweight? No.

Do yourself a favor.... cut it back to 1lb/week at most. Unless you want to get to your goal weight and realize that your body doesn't look like you thought it would at that weight and think that you need to continue to lose.

Eat, lift, run if you feel like it, and be patient. A lot of times slow and steady does win the race on actually getting to a point where you are no longer battling to stay at a certain weight and you can just maintain your goal body.

Well this isn't my thread but since you commented on my strategy I'll just explain that I'm doing 5 weeks low cal to shed quickly as I'm starting a new job a week Monday and I want the confidence of fitting in my clothes...and that's working. On this Monday, I'm upping the cals to a more sustainable level and doing exactly what you recommend.
  • nikilis
    Options
    its over people.

fzKJ7gCl.gif
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was trying to be helpful. But here is more info.

You did not gain 1 actual pound unless you ate 3,500 calories over your TDEE which you clearly could not have done if you have only been eating 1000 calories a day. Weight fluctuates, especially for women. Don't use only the scale to measure progress, take pictures and use your measuring tape.

Educate yourself on BMR and TDEE and learn that eating less than 1200 calories is not healthy.

so...... why didn't you just say that, cause clearly that would be more helpful than your original comment right.... or should someone be able to extrapolate the thought from your head... what you were thinking... rather than what you are saying?

nice that you threw in the magic number there too..... did you actually calculate her BMR or TDEE? perhaps calculate the deficit?

There was nothing wrong with my original statement. It is true. Unless you are a very, very small person, eat more than 1,000. It's pretty simple. Did I need to explain why? I didn't feel the need to since some other people also touched on it. She then stated that she is 5'8" and her weight, which should average out to an estimated BMR of around 1400. Is that exact? No, of course not, and I never claimed that it was. This is just common sense AND recommended by health experts and this site.

If you have a problem with me or with what I say, you can put me on ignore. It won't hurt my feelings, honest.
  • nikilis
    Options

There was nothing wrong with my original statement. It is true. Unless you are a very, very small person, eat more than 1,000. It's pretty simple. Did I need to explain why? I didn't feel the need to since some other people also touched on it. She then stated that she is 5'8" and her weight, which should average out to an estimated BMR of around 1400. Is that exact? No, of course not, and I never claimed that it was. This is just common sense AND recommended by health experts and this site.

If you have a problem with me or with what I say, you can put me on ignore. It won't hurt my feelings, honest.

so you just made a vague, snarky comment in order to... help? got ya.
  • Clare291174
    Clare291174 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm starting 'strength training' next week and I know lifting weights will burn fat and improvr definition so I'm really looking forward to doing that. I do eat nuts, not in my food diary as I manually input them as quick add calories. I struggle with eating protein. This is why I have the Greek yogurt in the morning. Would chicken salad for lunch be a good idea? I will speak to the trainer I have only had 2 sessions, he knows I want to lose a few pounds and tone up my middle. My arms are nice from body pump. Legs/bum ok. Seriously thanks to all for posts, even the telling off ones, everyone has said stuff I agree with. I think because I have done Weight Watchers in past I'm wired to eat low fat above all else irrespective of carbs/lean protein balance. I'm trying to reeducate myself to achieve a better, fitter and maintainable shape. It's Friday though so that means some wine tonight, blow the calories!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Chicken is a good source of protein. I also got some chocolate whey protein powder that I stir into Milk and drink before or after I lift. (after usually or if I am due for a meal I drink it before so I have some quick energy). Sometimes I put half a scoop in my coffee if I need to up my protein that day.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Clare, like others i am not an expert, except regarding myself and my body. i need to eat a MINIMUM of 1200/day and more if i am exercising. my BMR tells me i should be eating more like 1500. I am looking at this process as a journey and lifestyle change, not a diet. so, mindset needs to change first along with your attitude about food/drink and this whole process.