Have you tried high fat low carb diet ?

Options
124»

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm going to get back on topic!

I eat LCHF. I'm Type II diabetic, so this method of eating is key for my health. If I wasn't Type II I probably wouldn't eat this way. It isn't any magical diet and yes, a lot of the weight you will lose at first is water weight. I dropped about 6 lbs my first week. I'm sure at least 5 of those were pure water weight.

I will say that for those of us with medical issues such as Type II diabetes, LCHF is a way of life, not a temporary way of eating. I eat moderate protein as diabetes is hard enough on the kidneys and I had some protein in my urine at my last lab session so I can't overdo it in that regard.

As for timing of eating, unless you have medical issues that prevent you from eating at certain times, eat whenever you would like. I will frequently snack up to a 1/2 hour before I go to sleep. The timing doesn't matter and I tend to take in the majority of my calories between 5 and 10 pm. I work in elementary and middle schools and the time is just not always here for me to eat regularly during those times.

You shouldn't look at LCHF as a way to definitely lose weight. As with any other way of setting your macros, it is overall calorie consumption that will be the key for your weight loss. Some of us just have to choose a different way because of medical issues. Of course, if you are interested in the LCHF lifestyle, by all means, do it!

I hope this helps.
  • gaelicstorm26
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    lodro wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    bringon30 wrote: »
    I realized just how many of my calories were coming from empty carb calories. I also started noticing that I wasn't craving the carb-heavy junk that I once craved ALL the time.

Now, before anyone jumps on me for "demonizing a food group," that is not what I did. I merely explained why I like the low carb way of eating and why it works for me.

True, although if a person limits processed junk foods, high fructose breads, cakes, cookies, ice cream, etc. then the carbs they do choose should be fairly nutritious and low calorie.

Dietary fat is 9 calories per gram, the highest of the other macros by more than double. A person could easily make poor dietary fat food choices (like a single burger with 57 grams of fat) and go over their calories when factoring in the rest of their intake.

The trick really is getting more involved with whole foods and limiting processed foods and not overeating... not by going low carb or high fat or vice versa... that choice is meaningless as it pertains to composing a rational diet.

NOT if you're insulin resistant, pre diabetic or type 2 diabetic. In those cases, going low carb - high fat - moderate protein is the rational choice to make.

Neither is it a fad diet in and of itself. It's been along longer than the present day high carb recommendations for a "healthy" macro ratio

And if you're allergic to peanuts it might be a good idea to lay off peanut butter. Does everyone really have to always put a disclaimer at the end saying "*unless you have a medical condition that necessitate otherwise" ?

The problem is that IR, prediabetes, and T2 diabetes are far more common than peanut butter allergy, and many people are undiagnosed

And the OP hasn't mentioned that he had any medicals, so why is that even important to this conversation? If someone has a medical issues, the information is generally tailored to that person, which is commonly demonstrated with someone says they have IR, PCOS, hypothyroidism, etc... And considering how lean the OP is (if that is a current picture), it's even more unlikely he would have any of those issues (unless genetics).

OP, I agree with tennisdude, that you should give it a month or so. It also might help if you slowly drop carbs to allow your body to get used to a lower amount. Sometimes just jumping right in can adversely affect things.

what part of "undiagnosed" you don't understand?

I understand it quite well. Do you understand how statistics are developed? Because if we went by all the statistics out there, over 100% of the world would have some kind of medical issue. Many are extrapolations based on various assumptions to ensure the agencies get funding to support additional research.

Well, that's a legitimate point of view, of course.
    Is, in your opinion, the obesity epidemic real, or just made up "to ensure the agencies get funding to support additional research"?

Again that doesn't apply to this thread. At some point, people need to take a step back and look at the whole picture instead of getting lost in minute details.

And so far, in the context of this discussion, there is NO reason to address medical issues. He asked about a particular way of eating because of some issue with losing weight. It's probably more beneficial to address the bigger and more typical issues that generally occur on here... is the OP logging, are they using the food scale, how many calories are they eating, what is their exercise routine, etc...

Or do you propose they we assume everyone has an undiagnosed medical issue?

Personally, I always disclose that I have Type II diabetes because people who do LCHF can get such negative responses, as if we are idiots who have bought into everything Dr. Oz (or any other highly publicized "health guru") says and have no ability to think for ourselves. Or that we demonize carbs. Or that we think that calories don't matter. I've seen if often in these forums.

Also, being Type II is important to me. It is part of who I am, like it or not. I like to put it out there because there might be others reading or responding who are Type II and want to connect. We get so much crappy information from our own doctors about being Type II. I have connected with many others on MFP this way.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    I realized just how many of my calories were coming from empty carb calories. I also started noticing that I wasn't craving the carb-heavy junk that I once craved ALL the time.

Now, before anyone jumps on me for "demonizing a food group," that is not what I did. I merely explained why I like the low carb way of eating and why it works for me.

True, although if a person limits processed junk foods, high fructose breads, cakes, cookies, ice cream, etc. then the carbs they do choose should be fairly nutritious and low calorie.

Dietary fat is 9 calories per gram, the highest of the other macros by more than double. A person could easily make poor dietary fat food choices (like a single burger with 57 grams of fat) and go over their calories when factoring in the rest of their intake.

The trick really is getting more involved with whole foods and limiting processed foods and not overeating... not by going low carb or high fat or vice versa... that choice is meaningless as it pertains to composing a rational diet.

NOT if you're insulin resistant, pre diabetic or type 2 diabetic. In those cases, going low carb - high fat - moderate protein is the rational choice to make.

Neither is it a fad diet in and of itself. It's been along longer than the present day high carb recommendations for a "healthy" macro ratio

And if you're allergic to peanuts it might be a good idea to lay off peanut butter. Does everyone really have to always put a disclaimer at the end saying "*unless you have a medical condition that necessitate otherwise" ?

The problem is that IR, prediabetes, and T2 diabetes are far more common than peanut butter allergy, and many people are undiagnosed

And the OP hasn't mentioned that he had any medicals, so why is that even important to this conversation? If someone has a medical issues, the information is generally tailored to that person, which is commonly demonstrated with someone says they have IR, PCOS, hypothyroidism, etc... And considering how lean the OP is (if that is a current picture), it's even more unlikely he would have any of those issues (unless genetics).

OP, I agree with tennisdude, that you should give it a month or so. It also might help if you slowly drop carbs to allow your body to get used to a lower amount. Sometimes just jumping right in can adversely affect things.

I understand it quite well. Do you understand how statistics are developed? Because if we went by all the statistics out there, over 100% of the world would have some kind of medical issue. Many are extrapolations based on various assumptions to ensure the agencies get funding to support additional research.

Is, in your opinion, the obesity epidemic real, or just made up "to ensure the agencies get funding to support additional research"?

Again that doesn't apply to this thread. At some point, people need to take a step back and look at the whole picture instead of getting lost in minute details.

And so far, in the context of this discussion, there is NO reason to address medical issues. He asked about a particular way of eating because of some issue with losing weight. It's probably more beneficial to address the bigger and more typical issues that generally occur on here... is the OP logging, are they using the food scale, how many calories are they eating, what is their exercise routine, etc...

Insulin resistance is not a "medical issue", diagnosed or otherwise: by now it is a common place occurrence for about 1/3 of populations in countries that are on a standard western, industrialized diet. And in some sub segments of the populations about 50% of people can be insulin resistant.

Can you actually substantiate those claims?

pslemon asked recently for the data in an other thread and they were given to him. Today we are gently informed that those studies are unreliable because researchers falsify data "to ensure the agencies get funding to support additional research"...So what's the point to give those data if you are not going to believe what you don't like?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Insulin resistance is not a "medical issue", diagnosed or otherwise: by now it is a common place occurrence for about 1/3 of populations in countries that are on a standard western, industrialized diet. And in some sub segments of the populations about 50% of people can be insulin resistant.

pslemon asked recently for the data in an other thread and they were given to him. Today we are gently informed that those studies are unreliable because researchers falsify data "to ensure the agencies get funding to support additional research"...So what's the point to give those data if you are not going to believe what you don't like?

I did not see those studies and there is a trend here in the forums of advocates of certain diets making claims, then trying to support those claims with research that doesn't even come close to supporting their claims. Burden of proof is on the claim maker
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Personally, I always disclose that I have Type II diabetes because people who do LCHF can get such negative responses, as if we are idiots who have bought into everything Dr. Oz (or any other highly publicized "health guru") says and have no ability to think for ourselves. Or that we demonize carbs. Or that we think that calories don't matter. I've seen if often in these forums.

Also, being Type II is important to me. It is part of who I am, like it or not. I like to put it out there because there might be others reading or responding who are Type II and want to connect. We get so much crappy information from our own doctors about being Type II. I have connected with many others on MFP this way.

Disclosing that information is fine.

However, the title of this thread was not:

Are you Diabetic and how has the LCHF diet been working for you?

The thread opener made no reference of those with medical issues; only how low carb, high fat may or may not work for purposes of weight loss. In the end, weight loss is not about how a person shifts their macros. Asserting that it matters is misleading and factually incorrect. Weight loss is about being in a caloric deficit... not by going low carb or high fat or vice versa.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Where did I say anything was falsified? I said agencies make certain assumption based on statistical data. Some of those assumptions may or may not be correct or valid.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options

I did not see those studies and there is a trend here in the forums of advocates of certain diets making claims, then trying to support those claims with research that doesn't even come close to supporting their claims. Burden of proof is on the claim maker

I actually searched for those studies because pslemon asked, and since he is a "volunteer moderator", it was a way to thank him, sorta. As for you, and everyone else want to believe that IR is as rare as peanut butter allergy is perfectly fine for me, no problem at all. You win the internet!

• gaelicstorm26
    Options

The thread opener made no reference of those with medical issues; only how low carb, high fat may or may not work for purposes of weight loss. In the end, weight loss is not about how a person shifts their macros. It is only about being in a caloric deficit.

You're right--weight loss is about the calories, not in how we get those calories in. I also make that very clear in my responses about eating LCHF. I don't want anyone to feel that shifting macros is going to cause some miracle to happen. But people do need to understand that shifting macros can make a difference for those with medical needs, and they should know that before comparing experiences. My personal experience with LCHF is very much impacted by the lowered insulin levels, so my weight loss is going to reflect that. It's good knowledge for people to have. I realize that people without insulin resistance or diabetes might not truly understand that component, but for anyone considering changing their way of life to this degree, the information is quite handy. So if the OP is considering eating LCHF and does not have underlying medical issues, his results might not be the same. Apples and oranges.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options

Where did I say anything was falsified? I said agencies make certain assumption based on statistical data. Some of those assumptions may or may not be correct or valid.

then I misunderstood you, but the outcome is the same, you don't believe in statistical data, so no point to discuss them.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I dont think anything would suggest that you are idiots. And I think it's awesome that you found a method to address your concerns.

The general issue, or where debates start, is when people come in proclaiming that we should all assume that everyone has a metabolic disorder and that a particular diet is the most effective strategy to burn fat. This absolute has been with more than just LCHF. I have seen it used in the other extremes.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I actually searched for those studies because pslemon asked, and since he is a "volunteer moderator", it was a way to thank him, sorta. As for you, and everyone else want to believe that IR is as rare as peanut butter allergy is perfectly fine for me, no problem at all. You win the internet!

Nice strawman and also good to see the trend of low carb advocates with the inability to support their statements continuing.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    OP, you've made it clear that you seem willing to try anything that sounds plausible and are lost amidst the hundreds of suggestions floating around for weight loss (try this diet, eat 1200 calories, don't eat after 7pm, etc.).

What you have been doing is not working. Many of the suggestions may not help you. I would suggest doing some basic reading about what is actually required for weight loss. Once you understand the basics, then you can try to hone in on a way of eating that will help you stay within your calorie deficit:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • gaelicstorm26
    Options

I dont think anything would suggest that you are idiots. And I think it's awesome that you found a method to address your concerns.

The general issue, or where debates start, is when people come in proclaiming that we should all assume that everyone has a metabolic disorder and that a particular diet is the most effective strategy to burn fat. This absolute has been with more than just LCHF. I have seen it used in the other extremes.

Thanks!

And I agree, that is where problems start. Not one way of eating is right for every person. What's important is finding something that is sustainable and makes your body feel great. For me, that is LCHF, for someone else, it could be completely different. I just want people considering LCHF to be realistic. There might be sacrifices and you need to make peace with that.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    This thread again. B)
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

The thread opener made no reference of those with medical issues; only how low carb, high fat may or may not work for purposes of weight loss. In the end, weight loss is not about how a person shifts their macros. It is only about being in a caloric deficit.

You're right--weight loss is about the calories, not in how we get those calories in. I also make that very clear in my responses about eating LCHF. I don't want anyone to feel that shifting macros is going to cause some miracle to happen. But people do need to understand that shifting macros can make a difference for those with medical needs, and they should know that before comparing experiences. My personal experience with LCHF is very much impacted by the lowered insulin levels, so my weight loss is going to reflect that. It's good knowledge for people to have. I realize that people without insulin resistance or diabetes might not truly understand that component, but for anyone considering changing their way of life to this degree, the information is quite handy. So if the OP is considering eating LCHF and does not have underlying medical issues, his results might not be the same. Apples and oranges.

I want people to know that for many people shifting macros does provide a miracle - LESS HUNGER. Eliminating or minimizing the physical drive to eat more is an essential component of long term weight reduction and health. Fixing the contents of diet help many eat less.

• gaelicstorm26
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean about causing less hunger just by switching macros. I think that less hunger is more about individual food choices at meals rather than macros alone. At least, that has been my experience. Some days eating LCHF I'm more hungry than others. It has a lot to do with the individual foods I'm choosing, at least for me. Maybe others are different.
  • gaelicstorm26
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    This thread again. B)

You know you love it!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean about causing less hunger just by switching macros. I think that less hunger is more about individual food choices at meals rather than macros alone. At least, that has been my experience. Some days eating LCHF I'm more hungry than others. It has a lot to do with the individual foods I'm choosing, at least for me. Maybe others are different.

I'm like you. It seems like some of those for whom LCHF works were struggling with insatiable hunger before and now aren't. I wonder if part of that was their carb choices when they were eating more carbs, but I think it's likely keto has a dampening effect on certain types of hunger issues, so it very well could be that.