biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    lmao the typo is kind of, ah, you might want to fix that! XD

Haha, I was like..... what?
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Diet soda contain a chemical called aspartame. It doesn't take much research on this chemical to realise that it isn't good for you. No sodas or diet sodas are good for you, they contain no nutritional value!

I got truly sick, when I drank this stuff. Felt like crap from this crap.

• owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    owensy12 wrote: »
    Drink what you want. My view on diet sodas is that they trick your body into thinking it's getting sugar, and it's not, thus increasing your cravings for sweet things.

Go into any fast food outlet or supermarket and you will see overweight people ordering large meals with diet cokes, or have trolleys full of sweets and crisps etc, and they will undoubtably have a few bottles of Diet something in there, like that makes it all ok.

Excuse you. First and foremost, even as a fat person I am still required to eat to live. So yes when I go to a restaurant and order food, I do think it's okay. Not because of the diet soda I order, but because as a human being I am entitled to eat, thank you very much. I don't know if my meal would constitute "large" to you, nor do I care because it's none of your business. Even when I was not counting calories I drank diet soda because that's what I drink, I never have regular soda. I am not stupid enough to think I was somehow offsetting the calories but I appreciate the jab at the intelligence of overweight people. You realize we don't lose brain cells as we gain fat cells, right?

I'm not saying that anyone on here does this, and I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence. It was not a personal attack. However, there are a large amount of obese people who think that by drinking Diet Coke with any high-calorie meal will somehow make it all better. I've seen it happen and know people who do it. There's also the psychological affect where people who drink zero calorie diet drinks will end up overeating as the think they are saving calories.

This is my opinion.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    ...and there are obese people who "get it". Like me. Adding a sugar soda on top of a calorie loaded meal is not helping anything.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    Anyone ever have Coke Light? It's not available in the US but I love it when traveling in other countries. Coke zero is my coke of choice here at home.

We get it in the UK prefer it to diet then realised it has a lot more calories but it is good
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever have Coke Light? It's not available in the US but I love it when traveling in other countries. Coke zero is my coke of choice here at home.

We get it in the UK prefer it to diet then realised it has a lot more calories but it is good

Hm, I wonder if that means it's equivalent to "Coke Life" in the US (it's a new product here). It has some sugar, some sweetener, and has I think around 100 calories in a 12oz can.

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fassets.coca-colacompany.com%2Fc2%2Fc3%2F962773b64115affbbf2bbdedafcc%2Fccl-fridgepack300.jpg
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Drink what you want. My view on diet sodas is that they trick your body into thinking it's getting sugar, and it's not, thus increasing your cravings for sweet things.

Go into any fast food outlet or supermarket and you will see overweight people ordering large meals with diet cokes, or have trolleys full of sweets and crisps etc, and they will undoubtably have a few bottles of Diet something in there, like that makes it all ok.

Excuse you. First and foremost, even as a fat person I am still required to eat to live. So yes when I go to a restaurant and order food, I do think it's okay. Not because of the diet soda I order, but because as a human being I am entitled to eat, thank you very much. I don't know if my meal would constitute "large" to you, nor do I care because it's none of your business. Even when I was not counting calories I drank diet soda because that's what I drink, I never have regular soda. I am not stupid enough to think I was somehow offsetting the calories but I appreciate the jab at the intelligence of overweight people. You realize we don't lose brain cells as we gain fat cells, right?

I'm not saying that anyone on here does this, and I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence. It was not a personal attack. However, there are a large amount of obese people who think that by drinking Diet Coke with any high-calorie meal will somehow make it all better. I've seen it happen and know people who do it. There's also the psychological affect where people who drink zero calorie diet drinks will end up overeating as the think they are saving calories.

This is my opinion.

So ... how do you KNOW that these people think that having the diet soda will make it all better? (When I was in High School, I worked at McD's and saw this happen and thought the same thing as you. But I was a kid. Now, I realize that they may have a lot of other reasons. Like the above mentioned avoiding of sugar: at least they aren't adding 500 liquid calories on top of the meal).

The psychological effect may affect some people, but generally it's not those who are actually paying attention to calories. If you're logging, it's not really much of a big dea.
  • owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »

This is my opinion.

So ... how do you KNOW that these people think that having the diet soda will make it all better? (When I was in High School, I worked at McD's and saw this happen and thought the same thing as you. But I was a kid. Now, I realize that they may have a lot of other reasons. Like the above mentioned avoiding of sugar: at least they aren't adding 500 liquid calories on top of the meal).

The psychological effect may affect some people, but generally it's not those who are actually paying attention to calories. If you're logging, it's not really much of a big dea.

Maybe they do have other reasons and it certainly would be a smart choice as to not add more calories onto an already calorific meal. But there are some people who think Diet Coke is the magical drink that will make them lose weight and make everything better. Unless you're drinking it AND lowering your calories, it does not do that obviously. There are many people who think 'oh it's ok, I'm having a diet Coke'.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    AAAAND the diabetics are pretty well restricted to either the diet coke or water. A well-constructed burger, however, fits very well in to a diabetic's meal plan. About 9% of the population in the US is diagnosed diabetic.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Hm, I wonder if that means it's equivalent to "Coke Life" in the US (it's a new product here). It has some sugar, some sweetener, and has I think around 100 calories in a 12oz can.

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fassets.coca-colacompany.com%2Fc2%2Fc3%2F962773b64115affbbf2bbdedafcc%2Fccl-fridgepack300.jpg

No, we've got both. Coke light is our diet coke. And has no calories.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options

This is my opinion.

Maybe they do have other reasons and it certainly would be a smart choice as to not add more calories onto an already calorific meal. But there are some people who think Diet Coke is the magical drink that will make them lose weight and make everything better. Unless you're drinking it AND lowering your calories, it does not do that obviously. There are many people who think 'oh it's ok, I'm having a diet Coke'.

No one thinks Diet Coke is a magic drink that somehow makes you lose weight supernaturally. No one has ever thought that, and you're making it up to make fat people who drink diet soda seem stupid.

If a person replaces regular soda with diet soda and makes no other changes, they WILL lose weight, because they could be cutting up to 1200+ calories out of their diet per day. If a person has no intention of losing weight and chooses to drink a diet soda, it could be because they don't like wasting calories on drinks. Should someone mock you for eating vegetables because they also saw you eat cake? "Oh, you think eating squash magically makes that cake disappear?" Diet soda is a choice people are allowed to make without you or anyone else making assumptions about their intellect, goals, motives, etc. I have never been overweight, but when I was heavier I would order a large value meal and a diet soda. Why? Because I like the taste. Also, because I'm a type 1 diabetic and I don't feel like taking insulin for a drink. I like to save my expensive medications for food.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

This is my opinion.

Really? How do you know that is what they think?
  • jtate0212
    jtate0212 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    so i have glass of come zero a day

Who are we to judge? :blush:
    Tee hee!
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to drink any diet drink, they make me sick, I was a huge coke head..lol.. I drank 2 2L a day if not more, I gave that up and kook aid 5 months ago. I drink mostly water now, I had a sip of hubs coke the other day and GROSS way to sweet same with juice can't stand it now.