65+% fat, 30% protein, and 5% carbs - The Ketogenic Diet

Options

Replies

• umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    I've thought about it but haven't done it because of confusion about it's affect on my kidneys from processing a lot of protein. I have a sib who is in the same boat and did a high protein low carb eating routine that improved the glucose saturation but caused acidosis and now has kidney disease and now cannot eat any food that contains purines. There has been some minor improvement in my sib's health status, but not enough to keep from having to take medication that has it's own issues.

Anyone diabetic and not power lifting/heavy weight workouts doing this? Are you heavy on both protein and fat, or moderate of protein and heavy on fat? What's a range that seems to be working well for you?

Completely sedentary with elevated a1c and diabetic genes doing keto. I never hear of anyone doing high protein keto, only high fat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Since those in this thread have experience... is it true that keto helps ensure that one does not have muscle loss while losing weight?

I assume that I am losing some muscle, but no more than I would if losing on a higher carb diet that is also 25% protein.

@umayster That food pyramid is really good! I might switch my nuts with the cheese, but It's about perfect!

• nvmomketo
    Options
    I've thought about it but haven't done it because of confusion about it's affect on my kidneys from processing a lot of protein. I have a sib who is in the same boat and did a high protein low carb eating routine that improved the glucose saturation but caused acidosis and now has kidney disease and now cannot eat any food that contains purines. There has been some minor improvement in my sib's health status, but not enough to keep from having to take medication that has it's own issues.

Anyone diabetic and not power lifting/heavy weight workouts doing this? Are you heavy on both protein and fat, or moderate of protein and heavy on fat? What's a range that seems to be working well for you?

I'm prediabetic, or I was. I upped my protein to 25% about a month ago. 20% protein is pretty natural for me.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I'm prediabetic, or I was. I upped my protein to 25% about a month ago. 20% protein is pretty natural for me.

Yes, but are you working out? Well? And don't say it's deep and holds water.
  • Judy533
    Judy533 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started keto. My son has been on keto for about a year and lost 60 lb.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Yes, but are you working out? Well? And don't say it's deep and holds water.

It's deep and holds water?? What?

I just walk, and not very regularly at that. Maybe a few times a month lately. Perhaps I misunderstood; I thought the question was is there was anyone not doing heavy weight workouts. That's me at the moment.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    A well. . . .is deep and holds water. Ugh. Horrible fail on my part. I was thinking you were doing something more then walking, must be mistaken. Something like P90?!? And yes I understood the heavy lifting part of the question. We wouldn't want to derail a thread.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    A well. . . .is deep and holds water. Ugh. Horrible fail on my part. I was thinking you were doing something more then walking, must be mistaken. Something like P90?!? And yes I understood the heavy lifting part of the question. We wouldn't want to derail a thread.

Well? groan.... I have plans for P90x again but have been away and sick so haven't yet started - the usual excuses.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Cheese, nuts, butter, heavy cream in coffee or coconut cream, don't trim your meats as much, eat chicken skins, nuts, avocado, olives, salad dressings and dips for veggies, and fat meats like bacon and sausages are all good ways to boost fats.

Sounds good, but if i ate like that, since i am sensitive to greasy food, it would make me sick & nautious. What can a person do to avoid that?

• _Terrapin_
    Options

Well? groan.... I have plans for P90x again but have been away and sick so haven't yet started - the usual excuses.
    tick tock you'll never regret a workout. Get up and get moving.

• dorje77
    dorje77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it but haven't done it because of confusion about it's affect on my kidneys from processing a lot of protein.
    Keto is high in fat, not in proteins. For example, I assume only 67g of proteins daily (and I'm 80kg).
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could ever eat this way. I like fruit and chocolate and crisps way too much.

So do I.....which is why I sill eat them.....and I do follow Keto!
  • ladipoet
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    I would have though twice about creating a thread which recommends specific macro percentages vs. actual grams.

Depending on an individuals daily calorie goal, 65+% dietary fat, 30% protein, and 5% carbs can be wildly different from one person to the next.

Second this!!
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »

Cheese, nuts, butter, heavy cream in coffee or coconut cream, don't trim your meats as much, eat chicken skins, nuts, avocado, olives, salad dressings and dips for veggies, and fat meats like bacon and sausages are all good ways to boost fats.

Sounds good, but if i ate like that, since i am sensitive to greasy food, it would make me sick & nautious. What can a person do to avoid that?

Unfortunately, If you're trying to follow Keto, not much. :/ If it makes you sick, then find another way of eating that works for you and stick to it. There is no "one-right-way-of-eating."
  • nvmomketo
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »

One very fit guy that I've "talked" with on the boards eats even macros of protein and fat while keeping carbs (generally) below 150g. The examples of food above were given to help boost fat in a diet. Not adding as much fats, and eating lots of protein, may help.

If you can't eat a lot of fats, then LCHF may not work well for you.

:) Can't argue with that! You're right.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options

Keto IS NOT high protein!
  • LeilaPitcher
    LeilaPitcher Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    dorje77 wrote: »
    I'm also in keto: 251g fats (85%), 67g pro (10%), 33g cho (5%).

• LeilaPitcher
    Options
    That's different. 87% seems really high. Proteins too! What's your secret?
  • LeilaPitcher
    Options

• LeilaPitcher
    Options
    Just tell yourself you'll just stretch today. The energy from that will get your butt in gear. It's my truck anyway;)