65+% fat, 30% protein, and 5% carbs - The Ketogenic Diet

Options
Is anyone else on this diet? I usually end up eating way more than 65% of my calories from fat which is fine. What do ya'll end up eating on a daily basis? I go for whole eggs, high quality meats, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, cheese, and cook with a lot of coconut oil. I try to get organic when it's available.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am in ketosis. I was having problems with hitting my protein because of too much fat, but I added protein powder to my coffee and that seems to have helped.

Breakfast is coffee with cream and PP, couple eggs, maybe bacon
    Lunch is usually leftovers or nuts.
    Dinner is meat and veggies, often with a cheese dip or dressing.

Try the reddit Keto group, or The Low Carber Daily group to find more people who eat this way - there aren't many who eat keto, or are supportive of it, on the main boards.

Best wishes.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Also ketogenic here - pretty much the same foods, but definitely try to keep fish or seafood at least once a week and a variety of nuts! I love simplicity and focus on a good variety of simple foods over the week.

Will second The low carber group here or the very large keto community on Reddit.
  • DebJ618
    DebJ618 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am not keto... though remain curious to maybe try if/when I hit a plateau. However, I do aim for at least 50% fats (doesn't work... would love ideas on how to increase fat), 25-35% protein (also have problems meeting this sometimes in part due to money), and finally 15-25% carbs (still going over... but getting a bit better).

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am not keto... though remain curious to maybe try if/when I hit a plateau. However, I do aim for at least 50% fats (doesn't work... would love ideas on how to increase fat), 25-35% protein (also have problems meeting this sometimes in part due to money), and finally 15-25% carbs (still going over... but getting a bit better).

Cheese, nuts, butter, heavy cream in coffee or coconut cream, don't trim your meats as much, eat chicken skins, nuts, avocado, olives, salad dressings and dips for veggies, and fat meats like bacon and sausages are all good ways to boost fats.
  • dorje77
    dorje77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm also in keto: 251g fats (85%), 67g pro (10%), 33g cho (5%).
  • DebJ618
    Options
    Since those in this thread have experience... is it true that keto helps ensure that one does not have muscle loss while losing weight?
  • dorje77
    Options
    Yes if you get enough proteins.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    dorje77 wrote: »

Wrong.

• dorje77
    Options
    A minor amount of proteins are requested to make ketones, so you have to eat them.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Since those in this thread have experience... is it true that keto helps ensure that one does not have muscle loss while losing weight?

No...

You will NEVER lose 100% fat and 0% lean mass. The body is simply not that efficient. The goal is to maintain as much muscle as possible and is primarily a function of incorporating a good resistance training routine (ie lifting weights). Protein is absolutely important too, but with regards to maintaining muscle mass, it pales in comparison to the importance of a proper lifting regimen.
  • dorje77
    Options
    Yes, I consider always that everyone is training hard. :D I simply didn't read well the question.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Yes, I consider always that everyone is training hard. :D I simply didn't read well the question.

Well...for one that seems an awfully inappropriate assumption to make - especially about those who may be new to weight loss.

And two, one doesn't need to be in ketosis to get sufficient protein.

• dorje77
    Options
    Off course.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could ever eat this way. I like fruit and chocolate and crisps way too much.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Love a good visual!

pBZKfPR.jpg
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Off course.

No it isn't.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

You will always lose some muscle when losing weight. Get adequate protein on any diet and combine with resistance training to minimize the loss.
  • DebJ618
    Options
    I know there is always some muscle loss... and yes weight lifting and resistance training are extremely important... it was just one of the things I had read on other sites about keto is it leads to greater fat burning and in weight loss less loss of lean muscle...

Thank you everyone for the info!

And yes the chart is awesome!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've thought about it but haven't done it because of confusion about it's affect on my kidneys from processing a lot of protein. I have a sib who is in the same boat and did a high protein low carb eating routine that improved the glucose saturation but caused acidosis and now has kidney disease and now cannot eat any food that contains purines. There has been some minor improvement in my sib's health status, but not enough to keep from having to take medication that has it's own issues.

Anyone diabetic and not power lifting/heavy weight workouts doing this? Are you heavy on both protein and fat, or moderate of protein and heavy on fat? What's a range that seems to be working well for you?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    I would have though twice about creating a thread which recommends specific macro percentages vs. actual grams.

Depending on an individuals daily calorie goal, 65+% dietary fat, 30% protein, and 5% carbs can be wildly different from one person to the next.