Anyone have any thoughts on Chia Seeds?

Options
Beneficial or not needed?

Replies

• amazetome
    amazetome Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I think that depends on your diet. I'm a vegetarian, so I find them beneficial for that little extra bit of protein and omega-3s. I sprinkle them in soup and yogurt.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't use them, but the literature and nutritional information available for them seem to indicate they are a decent source of fiber, usable if not ideal protein and fat ratios, and provide a range of micronutrients.

Doesn't provide anything you cant get readily from other sources, so not needed. Can be beneficial, if you are seeking the nutrients they provide, especially in a more restrictive eating lifestyle, such as a lacto-ovo.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, and experimenting with adding them mainly for the omega-3s. I'm finding them aintly but oddly tasty, and inclined to stick in my teeth big time.

Most societies have gotten along without them for millennia, so probably not needed. If you want more of the nutrients they contain, why not try them & see if you find them yummy/useful?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I like them. When I have the calories to spare and want a big snack, I make a chocolate chia pudding...really good!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I use them as a breakfast topping to my oatmeal. Fiber and Omega 3
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    They can thicken up a smoothie pretty good.
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I may have to get some and try them out. Thank you for your input.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I tried them but really... nope. Definitely not worth the calories for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I prefer salmon for my omega-3s, but no harm in trying them and seeing if you like them.

Plus:

gatvokrdeq7g.gif
    chia.gif 419.6K
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I use chia seeds in smoothies. I let them soak in the smoothie liquid for 10 minutes or so and they don't stick in my teeth.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I love them in smoothies, as non dairy pudding, and they add a nice texture to my pancakes. I think I started using them when they were being touted as a 'superfood' or whatever but I mostly just like them for the texture :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    They thicken gravy or soup pretty well if you don't want to use flour or cornstarch. I also add them to my daughter's smoothies so she gets full longer (I can't personally attest to it).
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I prefer salmon for my omega-3s, but no harm in trying them and seeing if you like them.

Plus:

gatvokrdeq7g.gif

So a potential benefit is following the Chia pet around and picking up the 'seeds' they leave behind. You probably get a little glute burn doing this; good luck to you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Very high in soluble fiber. I soak them in yogurt with fruit; sometimes with oats, sometimes on their own. There's nothing unique about chia seeds, and ounce for ounce they are very high calorie. But I am Queen of variety, so they are in.
  • FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I like them. When I have the calories to spare and want a big snack, I make a chocolate chia pudding...really good!

i agree & very filling.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    More like THIS.
    6.jpg
    Just so there are no illusions.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I had seen them at the grocery and heard of many uses for them

I bought some and made chia pudding with added 85% dark chocolate, half and half, and a teaspoon of coconut oil. Splenda to taste

It was weird at first but quite good

I have added flax seeds at times.

Chia seeds in salads and smoothies.

Kind of a yummy something different
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I had seen them at the grocery and heard of many uses for them

I bought some and made chia pudding with added 85% dark chocolate, half and half, and a teaspoon of coconut oil. Splenda to taste

It was weird at first but quite good

I have added flax seeds at times.

Chia seeds in salads and smoothies.

Kind of a yummy something different

I use cocoa powder, sweetened almond milk and add nuts and such. See now I think I have to go home and make one. lol
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I use them as a breakfast topping to my oatmeal. Fiber and Omega 3
    Same. 1/2 cup of oatmeal, two tablespoons each of chia seeds, flax seeds and psyllium fibre, a half cup of blueberries and I'm full till lunch time.