Anyone have any thoughts on Chia Seeds?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Flavorless, calorie dense, and they make me feel parched for a long time after consuming (I typically used them for chia pudding)

I have a nearly full bag in my freezer that I bought from Costco over a year ago. I'd rather get all the whatever-benefits of chia seeds from other sources.

I recommend trying it for yourself but buying a small bag or seeing if you could get a sample of chia seeds from a friend.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use them as a breakfast topping to my oatmeal. Fiber and Omega 3
    Same. 1/2 cup of oatmeal, two tablespoons each of chia seeds, flax seeds and psyllium fibre, a half cup of blueberries and I'm full till lunch time.

@goldthistime How many calories do the chia ,flax and psyllium add up to? I know just 15g of chia is around 70 calories.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Same. 1/2 cup of oatmeal, two tablespoons each of chia seeds, flax seeds and psyllium fibre, a half cup of blueberries and I'm full till lunch time.

@goldthistime How many calories do the chia ,flax and psyllium add up to? I know just 15g of chia is around 70 calories.

Tons. I often have breakfasts over 600 calories. No free lunches unfortunately. I feel full, but I've used up a decent percentage of calories on carbs, although chia is strangely high in fat too.

• Christine_72
    Options

Tons. I often have breakfasts over 600 calories. No free lunches unfortunately. I feel full, but I've used up a decent percentage of calories on carbs, although chia is strangely high in fat too.

yeah I'd imagine it'd be a lot. I struggle to fit a TBS or 2 of chia seeds in sometimes. I love flax seeds etc etc but the calories put me off.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't have the patience to be farting around with chia seeds.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Flavorless, calorie dense, and they make me feel parched for a long time after consuming (I typically used them for chia pudding)

I have a nearly full bag in my freezer that I bought from Costco over a year ago. I'd rather get all the whatever-benefits of chia seeds from other sources.

I recommend trying it for yourself but buying a small bag or seeing if you could get a sample of chia seeds from a friend.

From Costco??? You have my sympathies. You'll be finishing those off on your deathbed. I bought Chia from Bulk Barn, enough to fill a salt shaker. That's it.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »

From Costco??? You have my sympathies. You'll be finishing those off on your deathbed. I bought Chia from Bulk Barn, enough to fill a salt shaker. That's it.

Yup, 2 lbs of chia seeds, which is great if you really really love chia seeds. :D

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I love chia pudding,but only make two at once. I would eat too much if it was prepared in the refrigerator.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Do the chia seeds actually make it taste better? I've looked at some banana-chia pudding recipes but ended up making something without the chia seeds since I didn't see the point of adding the calories and I don't believe in superfoods and all that. But if there's a taste purpose I'm up for it.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Do the chia seeds actually make it taste better? I've looked at some banana-chia pudding recipes but ended up making something without the chia seeds since I didn't see the point of adding the calories and I don't believe in superfoods and all that. But if there's a taste purpose I'm up for it.

To me, chia seeds are tasteless. They're good for thickening stuff up and for the little boost of protein, fibre and omega's

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

To me, chia seeds are tasteless. They're good for thickening stuff up and for the little boost of protein, fibre and omega's

That's what I assumed.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I had seen them at the grocery and heard of many uses for them

I bought some and made chia pudding with added 85% dark chocolate, half and half, and a teaspoon of coconut oil. Splenda to taste

It was weird at first but quite good

I have added flax seeds at times.

Chia seeds in salads and smoothies.

Kind of a yummy something different

I use cocoa powder, sweetened almond milk and add nuts and such. See now I think I have to go home and make one. lol

Good idea using the sweetened milk! I cant stomach stevia and get headaches from artificial.