Quest bar formula change

Options
124»

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    My gnc said they had hoards of people trying to find the old formula and cant sell the new ones anymore lol
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I haven't purchased any Quest bars in a long time. I bought a single pumpkin flavor one at the local vitamin shoppe a month or so ago and that's it.

I still have some of the new formulation bars collecting dust in my pantry. It's not that they're bad, per se, I just don't - I dunno - feel any urgent desire to consume these bars and buy or hoard more, like I did before.

Makes me wonder somewhat what the heck that old fiber was about that changing it out has somehow made the bars remarkably less desirable. Meh.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I bought a box of the new formula cookies and cream yesterday. Seriously not worth the price. They are crumbly, have a weird after taste, more fat, less fibre....really just not good. I use to eat one and crave another one, it took serious self control to not open another bar, this isn't the case with the new formula. I bought this box in the USA, the ones I buy in Canada still have the old formula....at least for now. Once I can no longer find the old formula here I won't be buying quest bars anymore, the taste is disappointing, and I highly doubt quest would have become so popular if they would have used this recipe first.

On a side note I tried their chips for the first time and they are pretty good, but I'm more of a sweets person, so can't really see me making these a regular purchase
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I haven't purchased any Quest bars in a long time. I bought a single pumpkin flavor one at the local vitamin shoppe a month or so ago and that's it.

I still have some of the new formulation bars collecting dust in my pantry. It's not that they're bad, per se, I just don't - I dunno - feel any urgent desire to consume these bars and buy or hoard more, like I did before.

Makes me wonder somewhat what the heck that old fiber was about that changing it out has somehow made the bars remarkably less desirable. Meh.

They really are less desirable. I don't even hate them really. I just don't...want them. I find them a waste of money now.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    My gnc said they had hoards of people trying to find the old formula and cant sell the new ones anymore lol

I found a gnc last night that only had the old formula (minus the mint and s'mores), but I was SO excited to find them!!
  • Seiceanu
    Seiceanu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Quest bars for years. Unfortunately with the new formula they came up, I had to stop. It tastes horrible and it makes me throw up. What a disappointment...
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Seiceanu wrote: »
    I've been eating Quest bars for years. Unfortunately with the new formula they came up, I had to stop. It tastes horrible and it makes me throw up. What a disappointment...
    I think they're listening to the backlash and are sending something to beta testers

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Seiceanu wrote: »
    I think they're listening to the backlash and are sending something to beta testers

Yes. Last week they sent out an email that went to everyone on their mailing list rather than just the beta testers. So they had to come "clean" and make the new formula announcement. Hopefully the bars will be better although I bake my own protein cookies now.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I used to be type 2 diabetic. I ate Quest bars before long term cardio or when traveling. There was minimal impact on glucometer tests.

Glucometer will pick up a spike in blood sugar.

Oddly enough, eating sugar will spike your blood sugar. Drinking a coke or cup of orange juice.

Not so much with protein.

A piece of steak does not impact a glucometer like a snickers bar.

Protein would not be a culprit of choice for a Quest bar creating a quick BG spike.

Protein spikes insulin but not blood glucose. Your body will then release glucagon to keep your blood sugar from dropping too low from the insulin release.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    If the new ones have less fiber I'll be happy.

I know right help keep my water bill down :)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I just ate a double chocolate chunk yesterday. The only thing I noticed was how chocolaty it was:)

I just had this one for my afternoon snack. I couldn't tell if anything changed or not. I do love this flavor.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    On the quest facebook page there are tons of people commenting about how bad the new formula is and people giving bad reviews now. I hope they change it back. Now when I buy them I have to make sure they are the old formula before I buy.

That always happens when products change recipes. Most often, there isn't a difference in taste, but people complain anyway because they don't like change. It happened in the UK, when Cadbury changed the recipe for creme eggs. There actually wasn't a difference in taste at all but everyone moaned anyway. As soon as people know the recipe for something was changed, they'll complain even if they hadn't noticed a difference.
    I wouldn't have known that the recipe changed had I not come across this thread, and I've been eating the new ones for a week or so.

I think I may have noticed just because of how many I eat. I actually thought it was just a weird bar or bad batch at first. I wish they tasted the same to me, but they really taste really bad now with a bad aftertaste and an "artificial" taste that I really dislike. They are missing the flavor I loved that made them so addictive, haha. I also hate how the texture is more cakey now, solid, and dense. I wish they would go back to the old formula.

I had a S'Mores bar for the first time a few weeks ago and the artificial taste was enough to put me off Quest bars forever.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    For those looking to make their own:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fiberyum-IMO-Syrup-Sweetener-Isomalto-oligosaccharide/dp/B00XQMAC1G/
    http://www.amazon.com/Vitafiber-Basic-Syrup-15-8-1-33/dp/B00TE3ZPJ0/
    ^That's the liquid fiber base they use to make Quest Bars. You can search Google and Youtube for some various instructions on how to use that with flavoring and protein powder to make your own Quest Bar.
    I kind of wish I knew what S'More Quest Bars would taste like if they used oligosarccharide instead of corn fiber.
    I'm a little mad that they're the same price. I'm highly doubtful corn fiber costs anywhere near as much as to use.

Thanks!

Someone please make a batch and report back :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    KK, I've been making my own protein bars with Vitafiber for the past month. I'm happy with the results. If you like the protein powder you use, you should like the finished product.

Granted, some come out better tasting than others (I've been experimenting), but they're all pretty good. In general, I find my home made bars are a bit less sweet than commercial bars.

I've used Quest and Trutein protein powder. I like the consistency of the bars made with Trutein better than those made with Quest. I think the egg white protein in Trutein might be making the difference.

I make them in batches of 8 using 240 grams of VitaFiber to 8 servings of protein powder plus a little water and a pinch of salt and any mix ins. So far I've made peanut butter, blueberry, brownie, and a riff on the German Christmas cookie Zimtsterne.
  • mimi10019
    mimi10019 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all.
    I have been an avid Quest eater for years. Most days eating more than 1. I am very active and used them as fuel. I noticed GI distress and nausea and they tasted different. Then, I went to the Vitamin Shoppe (used to just buy online) and bought one and noticed the changed calories. Looked it up. Corn fiber. I knew then why I had been feeling sick. I stopped immediately. They refunded me for the ones I had at home and bought without knowing about the new formula. My body is back to normal. I miss them. When I go to a new store, I look for the old ones. When I find them, I buy them! Otherwise I have been buying vitafiber (the stuff they use in the old bars) and with trial and error have been making amazing bars. I have heard about 3 other clean bars and have tried 2 of the - combat, Mission 1 and no cow bars. All made with same sweetner/fiber as old quest. Combat is amazing. I bought the other 2 but have not tried yet
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Personally I like the new formula. I have Ibs. The old formula gave me gas and the new ones doesn't. I also find the bars softer and easier to chew.