Trying to clean bulk

Options
holly_habanero
holly_habanero Posts: 4 Member
So I eat every three hours... I can't seem to even hit 1700 calories a day. I work out 6 days a week, weight lifting and hiit. My diet is mostly beans, rice, lean meats. Not very exciting but I just have no more room for food!! How do I hit my calorie mark?!?

Replies

• caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    do you count macros? what're your fats like? eating energy dense foods helps eg. nuts, fattier meats etc. When you say 'clean bulk' what do you mean like are you trying to increase your muscle mass while staying lean?
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You must be eating super small portions only getting 1700 cals and eating that frequently. Idk how old you are but you need to eat larger portions with what you're saying.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So I eat every three hours... I can't seem to even hit 1700 calories a day. I work out 6 days a week, weight lifting and hiit. My diet is mostly beans, rice, lean meats. Not very exciting but I just have no more room for food!! How do I hit my calorie mark?!?

The main issue is you are eating all low calorie items. Swap lean meats for higher fat meats, add in nuts, avocado, eggs, cook things in oil or butter (or just add butter), ice cream, nut butters (even eating spoonfuls of them), more ice cream (love my Klondikes), high calorie protein bars/shakes, bagels, etc...

Also, drop the HIIT. It's going to burn a bunch of calories which will require you to eat more. If you get to a point where you can keep up with the eating, HIIT is fine. I know I will use it when I get to a point of a bulk because I have no issue eating 3500 calories or so.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

The main issue is you are eating all low calorie items. Swap lean meats for higher fat meats, add in nuts, avocado, eggs, cook things in oil or butter (or just add butter), ice cream, nut butters (even eating spoonfuls of them), more ice cream (love my Klondikes), high calorie protein bars/shakes, bagels, etc...

Also, drop the HIIT. It's going to burn a bunch of calories which will require you to eat more. If you get to a point where you can keep up with the eating, HIIT is fine. I know I will use it when I get to a point of a bulk because I have no issue eating 3500 calories or so.

all this …

• ndj1979
    Options
    I am bulking on about 2800 calories a day and my diary is open. I have no problem hitting that number.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

x2!

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Ice cream and peanut butter is always the answer for "more calories".
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

amen
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

True dat
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

And pizza
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

And for those of us with a peanut free house (kids have peanut allergies) sunflower seed butter is good too. Especially the crunchy kind…yum. Cals, fats and a bit of protein.
  • roycenichols
    roycenichols Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Add protein shakes. Drinking doesn't make you fill nearly as full as eating does, so you can def increase calories that way. You can add other things besides a protein powder to the shake such as oatmeal, peanut butter and milk to add extra calories and increase your macro levels. Increase your cals slowly. You don't want a 'dirty bulk'. If you go from a low cal to a high cal too quickly you run the risk of excess fat storage. Let your body adjust to the slight increase over a few weeks. Increase in increments
  • EliasRider
    EliasRider Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try optimum nutrition serious mass. Take 1 serving aday. 1scoop in the morning 1 scoop evening. Add that in with your normal diet
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    EliasRider wrote: »
    Try optimum nutrition serious mass. Take 1 serving aday. 1scoop in the morning 1 scoop evening. Add that in with your normal diet

Great way to burn a whole in your wallet...
  • holly_habanero
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks u guys for the tips!! Trouble is, I can't have dairy, gluten, or sugar bc I have multiple sclerosis. However I've implemented the tips that I'm able to and I have successfully increased my calories up to 2,000 per day. Next week I'm aiming for 2,200!!
    @ndj1979 @roycenichols @Hornsby @psulemon @piperdown44
  • holly_habanero
    edited September 2015
    Options
    caci88 wrote: »
    do you count macros? what're your fats like? eating energy dense foods helps eg. nuts, fattier meats etc. When you say 'clean bulk' what do you mean like are you trying to increase your muscle mass while staying lean?

I do count macros, my protein/carb/fat ratio is 30/45/25. And yes I'm trying to increase mass without putting on too much fat in the process!! Thank you for your help!
    @caci88
  • sergiogasc
    sergiogasc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you have multiple sclerosis, take vitamin d 5000 units a day plus whatever else you would need according to your doctor. No related with the other topic but it is known to help a lot in your condition... but some many people still don't know it ;–)
    for muscles try to do less HIIT and more work outs, in my opinion, but I know less about it...
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter + spoon= GAINZ :) seriously though try upping your cals ~150 cals/day every few days until your glycogen stores top off (gain 3# of water 'overnight'). Hang out there for a while to figure out maintnence then add 250 c for your daily bulking calories. There is No Way you are working out 6 days a week and bulking on those calories.
  • holly_habanero
    Options
    @sergiogasc thank you!! I do take lots of vitamin D! I'm not taking any meds and I'm going the all dietary route so I'm very health conscious. I appreciate the tips!
  • tonmoysaha22
    tonmoysaha22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options