Do you guys like Quest Bars? Worth the price?

Options

Replies

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    If I want a protein bar, I'll just make my own... preservative free...

Not everyone is a chef! ;)
    I just bought some Fiber Syrup. I anticipate some lab experiments this weekend in my kitchen.
    *Donning chef's hat, singing like Swedish Chef*

It's so easy. No chef experience required to mix 3 ingredients in a bowl. There are youtube instructionals, too.

Sweet. I guess if one can brew IPAs, can also make some protein bars. Hmmm.... Maybe hop infused protein bars??? :smiley:

That would be kinda sickening actually... unless you infused them into an oil and incorporated some malt sweetness (hmmm).

I was kidding actually. Hops are insanely bitter. The aromatics would evaporate with heat treatment and it would be a mess. I would use some Bergamot peel from my parents' trees to add some awesome aromatics to a neutral tasting protein bar... hmmm....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    i personally don't get all the hype...it's just a protein bar...they're ok an all, but the way people gush over them on here, you'd think they'd give you multiple orgasms or something.

I personally prefer Cliff Bars if I'm going to have something like that...usually when I'm going to have something like that I'm out on a hike or fishing or something like that and I want something that has a bit more in the way of complete nutrition than a quest bar...but oh noes, carbs...

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    i personally don't get all the hype...it's just a protein bar...they're ok an all, but the way people gush over them on here, you'd think they'd give you multiple orgasms or something.

I personally prefer Cliff Bars if I'm going to have something like that...usually when I'm going to have something like that I'm out on a hike or fishing or something like that and I want something that has a bit more in the way of complete nutrition than a quest bar...but oh noes, carbs...

The advantage Quest bars have over most others is their macro balance and the fiber. It really depends on why you are eating one. I eat Quest for the protein and fiber and lack of sugars and carbs (T2Dm). Others like the Clif because they need more carbs than protein.

Protein: 19-21 g per Quest bar compared to only 9-11 g per Clif

Carbs: 20-21 g per Quest compared to 44 per Clif

Fiber:14-20 g per bar (depending on the flavor) compared to only 4-5 for a Clif bar

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I enjoy stashing a few for some quick food. Most of the flavors are pretty good, but I don't eat them regularly because of their price.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    No, I don't like them at all, since using MFP all I heard was how amazing they are and so good and oh put it in the microwave and is the bomb, and bla bla bla and when I tried them the first time was like holly $h!T this is it? -.- so they are a no for me, I stick with my very cheap Kellogg's chocolate/peanut protein bar with 10g of protein and $ 2.99 a box of 5.

But hey I can def. Understand how convenient the quest bar are for some and how it helps them with ttheir macros and how it's so worthy
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    We all quest down here.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

The advantage Quest bars have over most others is their macro balance and the fiber. It really depends on why you are eating one. I eat Quest for the protein and fiber and lack of sugars and carbs (T2Dm). Others like the Clif because they need more carbs than protein.

Fiber:14-20 g per bar (depending on the flavor) compared to only 4-5 for a Clif bar

Or, you could just eat real food ;)
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options

LMAO :D multiple orgasms!
  • cwolfman13
    edited September 2015
    Options

if it depends on why you are eating one (which it does) then Quest bars have no inherent advantage over any other kind of bar.

and I also agree with sixxpoint...generally speaking I'd prefer to eat some food, not a bar...bars simply don't do much for me and i really just use them where it is difficult for me to take along a lot of food and I know I'm going to need calories...i.e. when I'm hiking in the mountains and such.
  • earlnabby
    Options

I would if I could get the same macro mix without excess bulk. I need to eat smaller meals because of a hiatal hernia and I don't want to eat every hour. I eat 5-6 meals a day as it is.

• sixxpoint
    edited September 2015
    Options

I would if I could get the same macro mix without excess bulk.

Billions of people in the world do that just fine with a rational diet consisting of whole, minimally processed foods.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Billions of people in the world do that just fine with a rational diet consisting of whole, minimally processed foods.

So do I except my mid afternoon snack has to be small and light, otherwise I cannot eat my supper because of too much bulk in the stomach which causes severe pain from the hernia. Otherwise I eat whole, minimally processed foods, many of which I grow myself. I frequently make my own Greek yogurt from milk form a local dairy. By law it has to be pasteurized but they do not ultrapasteurize it like commercial dairies do.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Do billions of people have to eat with a hiatal hernia, which fact you conveniently cut out when you quoted her?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Wait, most people recommend whole, minimally processed foods as a way to increase volume of food so that people feel less hungry. I agree with @earlnabby, it's difficult to get lots of protein (and fiber) in a low volume with whole, minimally processed foods.
  • sixxpoint
    edited September 2015
    Options

Do billions of people have to eat with a hiatal hernia, which fact you conveniently cut out when you quoted her?

It wasn't relevant. Providing adequate nutrition via a rational diet has nothing to with that.

A person doesn't have to engorge themselves with every meal they eat to the point of feeling bloated and uncomfortable, hiatal hernia or not.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I'm curious what about Quest bars (or bars in general) are not "real food"?

I eat bars occasionally...don't really have strong feelings either way about them. But this seems to be an awfully poor argument 'against' them.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

I eat bars occasionally...don't really have strong feelings either way about them. But this seems to be an awfully poor argument 'against' them.

since i agreed with him, I'll throw in my .02...when I say that I mean that I'd rather, for example, have my breakfast of eggs and pinto beans and green chiles than having a bar for breakfast...which happens occasionally when I'm running late...but it's never as satisfying as having my "real" breakfast
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

since i agreed with him, I'll throw in my .02...when I say that I mean that I'd rather, for example, have my breakfast of eggs and pinto beans and green chiles than having a bar for breakfast...which happens occasionally when I'm running late...but it's never as satisfying as having my "real" breakfast

Oh I would much rather too.

I'd also much rather have that than, say, a bowl of oatmeal or cereal.

But that doesn't make oatmeal or cereal "not real food"
  • sixxpoint
    Options

In essence, they are a convenience food and full of preservatives. The more a person relies on convenience foods like protein powder or protein bars, the less they incorporate whole foods and actually learn how to cook/eat rationally.

I have nothing against convenience foods from time to time, but relying on them everyday is another story. It's almost like the world is slowly forgetting how to cook and compose a rational diet consisting of actual food that tastes good.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

In essence, they are a convenience food and full of preservatives. The more a person relies on convenience foods like protein powder or protein bars, the less they incorporate whole foods and actually learn how to cook/eat rationally.

I have nothing against convenience foods from time to time, but relying on them everyday is another story. It's almost like the world is slowly forgetting how to cook and compose a rational diet consisting of actual food that tastes good.

I understand this even less since you often go around the boards recommending protein powders.