Do you guys like Quest Bars? Worth the price?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest bars sometimes (they are okay--I like some other protein/energy bars just as well). They are convenient for when you are driving back from a race (my last tri was over 3 hours from where I live) and expect to be hungry and don't particularly want to stop for fast food (which I don't much like) or have the time/company to stop for a longer lunch. They also can be handy when one is travelling by plane and either is going to miss a meal or worried about delays, and are easy to keep in one's office if one has a bad habit of ending up at work way past a meal time or on the weekend without having prepared food in advance.

Yes, in a perfect world I'd rather have some roasted chicken and broccoli, but they don't really fit in my purse as well as a Quest bar, and I am imperfect when it comes to pre-planning possible work meal needs, as indicated above.

It's nice if someone doesn't like them or see the need in their own life, but ragging on people who find them useful or enjoyable seems weird and unnecessary.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    i personally don't get all the hype...it's just a protein bar...they're ok an all, but the way people gush over them on here, you'd think they'd give you multiple orgasms or something.

I personally prefer Cliff Bars if I'm going to have something like that...usually when I'm going to have something like that I'm out on a hike or fishing or something like that and I want something that has a bit more in the way of complete nutrition than a quest bar...but oh noes, carbs...

The advantage Quest bars have over most others is their macro balance and the fiber. It really depends on why you are eating one. I eat Quest for the protein and fiber and lack of sugars and carbs (T2Dm). Others like the Clif because they need more carbs than protein.

Protein: 19-21 g per Quest bar compared to only 9-11 g per Clif

Carbs: 20-21 g per Quest compared to 44 per Clif

Fiber:14-20 g per bar (depending on the flavor) compared to only 4-5 for a Clif bar

Or, you could just eat real food ;)

I'm curious what about Quest bars (or bars in general) are not "real food"?

I eat bars occasionally...don't really have strong feelings either way about them. But this seems to be an awfully poor argument 'against' them.

In essence, they are a convenience food and full of preservatives. The more a person relies on convenience foods like protein powder or protein bars, the less they incorporate whole foods and actually learn how to cook/eat rationally.

I have nothing against convenience foods from time to time, but relying on them everyday is another story. It's almost like the world is slowly forgetting how to cook and compose a rational diet consisting of actual food that tastes good.

I understand this even less since you often go around the boards recommending protein powders.

No, I don't. Knowing much about a topic doesn't mean you are encouraging people to incorporate them into their daily diet.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    i personally don't get all the hype...it's just a protein bar...they're ok an all, but the way people gush over them on here, you'd think they'd give you multiple orgasms or something.

I personally prefer Cliff Bars if I'm going to have something like that...usually when I'm going to have something like that I'm out on a hike or fishing or something like that and I want something that has a bit more in the way of complete nutrition than a quest bar...but oh noes, carbs...

The advantage Quest bars have over most others is their macro balance and the fiber. It really depends on why you are eating one. I eat Quest for the protein and fiber and lack of sugars and carbs (T2Dm). Others like the Clif because they need more carbs than protein.

Fiber:14-20 g per bar (depending on the flavor) compared to only 4-5 for a Clif bar

I would if I could get the same macro mix without excess bulk.

Billions of people in the world do that just fine with a rational diet consisting of whole, minimally processed foods.
    Do billions of people have to eat with a hiatal hernia, which fact you conveniently cut out when you quoted her?

It wasn't relevant. Providing adequate nutrition via a rational diet has nothing to with that.

A person doesn't have to engorge themselves with every meal they eat to the point of feeling bloated and uncomfortable, hiatal hernia or not.
    Well, apparently the person you quoted feels it's relevant to her situation.

As if eating a protein bar is irrational.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I eat bars occasionally...don't really have strong feelings either way about them. But this seems to be an awfully poor argument 'against' them.

In essence, they are a convenience food and full of preservatives. The more a person relies on convenience foods like protein powder or protein bars, the less they incorporate whole foods and actually learn how to cook/eat rationally.

I have nothing against convenience foods from time to time, but relying on them everyday is another story. It's almost like the world is slowly forgetting how to cook and compose a rational diet consisting of actual food that tastes good.

Again, I don't necessarily disagree.

Still, don't get why they're not "real food".

I just think it was an incredibly poor argument.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I understand this even less since you often go around the boards recommending protein powders.

He does? That's funny!
  • sixxpoint
    edited September 2015
    Options

I just think it's a poor argument.

The ingredients are something like this:

Fiber syrup
    Protein powder
    Cookies
    Sucralose,
    Erythiritol
    Isomalto-Oligosaccharides
    Flavorings
    Preservatives
    Etc etc.

How is that the same as a steak, broccoli, and a potato?
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I really like them. They are pricey so I just eat one once a week or so for breakfast if I have either little time or inclination to make my meal.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Fiber syrup
    Protein powder
    Cookies
    Sucralose,
    Erythiritol
    Flavorings
    Preservatives
    Etc etc.

Strawman much? Where have I argued that a Quest bar is exactly equivalent to a steak, broccoli or a potato?

When will you answer the actual question I asked?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try them, but I can't justify the price ($4-$5 per bar, depending on where bought) when I can buy a comparable Pure Protein bar from Wal-mart for $7/6 bars.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I would if I could get the same macro mix without excess bulk.

Billions of people in the world do that just fine with a rational diet consisting of whole, minimally processed foods.
    How are whole, minimally foods rational? If you want to get into actual rational actors, rationally maximizing their utility, whole foods are irrational. Highly processed foods mean less time spent preparing food, and more time usable for an economic specialization that returns money to buy more food at the nutrition desired, at an overall lower time cost.
  • sixxpoint
    edited September 2015
    Options

Fiber syrup
    Protein powder
    Cookies
    Sucralose,
    Erythiritol
    Flavorings
    Preservatives
    Etc etc.

Strawman much? Where have I argued that a Quest bar is exactly equivalent to a steak, broccoli or a potato?

I answered your question clearly and directly with an example of an ingredient list and how they differ from actual food. I don't know how much clearer you want the picture to be painted.

My only issue with food supplements is that people think they have to rely on a company to design a processed, pre-packaged food in order to have a rational diet. No... if you are taking food supplements on daily basis in order to meet your nutritional needs then you DO NOT have a rational diet and you should probably look into correcting that by predominating your intake with a rich variety of whole, minimally processed foods... and if you are serious about fitness & nutrition, eventually learning how to cook/prepare real food.

I am not demonizing Quest bars or protein powder. I make my own Quest bars without the preservatives and fillers and take them out of convenience, too. But there is a difference in taking them on occassion and relying on them daily to meet one's nutritional needs.
  • shanahz
    shanahz Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I always have a few on hand for a quick snack or meal. I love the smores and cookies & cream bars. They are a little pricey, but I like the quality and taste of them.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

since i agreed with him, I'll throw in my .02...when I say that I mean that I'd rather, for example, have my breakfast of eggs and pinto beans and green chiles than having a bar for breakfast...which happens occasionally when I'm running late...but it's never as satisfying as having my "real" breakfast

So would I but the pinto beans would digest slow enough that I might have a problem at lunch.

It wasn't relevant. Providing adequate nutrition via a rational diet has nothing to with that.

A person doesn't have to engorge themselves with every meal they eat to the point of feeling bloated and uncomfortable, hiatal hernia or not.

Eating enough to get the macros AND micros in without feeling bloated or uncomfortable is a balancing act, especially on 1400 net calories. Compromises have to be made somewhere and a Quest bar instead of 20 grams of protein and some kind of whole food to give me 15-20 g of fiber is the best choice for me.

• juggernaut1974
    Options

Fiber syrup
    Protein powder
    Cookies
    Sucralose,
    Erythiritol
    Flavorings
    Preservatives
    Etc etc.

I answered your question clearly and directly with an example of an ingredient list and how they differ from actual food. I don't know how much clearer you want the picture to be painted.

My only issue with food supplements is that people think they have to rely on them to have a rational diet. No... if you are taking supplements on daily basis in order to meet your nutritional needs then you DO NOT have a rational diet and you should probably look into correcting that.

No you didn't.

You made the argument that Quest bars are not real food.

The fact they contain different ingredients from other 'real food' does not disprove that they are 'real food'.

X =/= Y (Your argument)

Why does X =/= Y? (my question)

Because X = N+Z (your response - which in no way proves X =/= Y)

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Fiber syrup
    Protein powder
    Cookies
    Sucralose,
    Erythiritol
    Flavorings
    Preservatives
    Etc etc.

My only issue with food supplements is that people think they have to rely on a company to design a processed, pre-packaged food in order to have a rational diet. No... if you are taking food supplements on daily basis in order to meet your nutritional needs then you DO NOT have a rational diet and you should probably look into correcting that.

I am not demonizing Quest bars or protein powder. I make my own Quest bars without the preservatives and fillers and take them out of convenience, too. But there is a difference in taking them on occassion and relying on them daily to meet one's nutritional needs.
    In for awares of what's a rational diet, why it is rational, why preservatives or fillers are irrational, and why convenience is irrational or wrong.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'd like to try them, but I can't justify the price ($4-$5 per bar, depending on where bought) when I can buy a comparable Pure Protein bar from Wal-mart for $7/6 bars.

They are like $2 at the 7-11 here on sale pretty often.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    X =/= Y (Your argument)

Why does X =/= Y? (my question)

Because X = N+Z (your response - which in no way proves X =/= Y)

Math is hard.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "How is that the same as a steak, broccoli, and a potato?"

How can I fit a steak, broccoli, and a potato in my golf bag? Quest Bars seem to be a good snack. Only tried my first one today. It's a bar, about as tasty as the Nature Valley Trail mix bar I recently had. The Quest Bar has more protein and fiber therein making it more filling for a few more calories. Does anybody have something to say that's wrong with Quest Bars or why they should not be eaten?

Let's start comparing like things to like things. A Quest Bar is a 200 calorie 20g protein snack. It is not a full meal of steak, broccoli and patato. What are your alternatives for a 200 calorie protein snack? Should we, as TV implores, have a snickers bar because we are not ourselves when we are hungry? A tuna on rye with lettuce and tomato? Pizza slice? Hershey bar? Apple, banana, fruit salad? Another Bar, (stating brand and why).

Do we guys like Quest Bars? Should mean; if we don't, what would be our alternatives for a 200 calorie easily carried snack. OR, what type of lunch/meal/snack would you suggest at about 200 calories?

thank you

• juggernaut1974
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

How can I fit a steak, broccoli, and a potato in my golf bag?

If you golf like I do some days, after about 8 holes there will be plenty of room from the balls I've lost in the pond.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

How can I fit a steak, broccoli, and a potato in my golf bag?

If you golf like I do some days, after about 8 holes there will be plenty of room from the balls I've lost in the pond.

I've had this very experience. Guess I could pick up that steak dinner at the clubhouse at the turn. :-)