Anyone else angry with nuts?

Options

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you are coming from. Nuts were a real eye opener when I started. I think about how many 1000's of calories I used to eat in nuts mindlessly watching TV.

I read a bout a guy doing a bulk, probably on here, who was gaining about 1 pound a week (on purpose) from adding 3/4 cup of almonds a day to his diet and changing nothing else! That's insane.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm constantly being tricked when it comes to nuts. Almonds, which are considered to be "healthy", have twice as much fat as protein and not that many carbs. Also, they're around 400 calories for a half-cup.

Why are these things called "healthy?" What do you all use for substitutions? Is there anything else besides the PB2 powder?

Who is tricking you? I think it's widely known that nuts are high cal and high in fat (although the so-called "good fats").

Are you under the misunderstanding that fat is inherently bad or that high calorie = unhealthy?

It's true that people weirdly claim they are good sources of protein sometimes and they really aren't. But they have other benefits if you like them (as I do).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    keefmac wrote: »
    I eat pistachios, by the time you've peeled 200kcals worth you've had enough anyway!.

The true negative calorie food, as you work off more calories peeling them than you eat.

(Just kidding.)
  • Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Almonds are delicious and are healthy! Not all healthy foods are low in calories. Moderation! I have a small handful when I'm short on calories. It can be hard to stop there though. lol
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of deez nuts.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I just call them delicious and work them into my calories
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I was watching a medical segment on the news one day and a heart doctor was going over foods that good for longevity and heart health. I always heard about nuts and thought well I like peanuts but he said "no not just nuts...they must be tree nuts". The type of fat in tree nuts is supposed to be very beneficial. The way I understand it our bodies require some fats so I put some walnuts in my oatmeal every morning. If handy I my eat a handful of almonds at times too.
  • kallemann67
    kallemann67 Posts: 92 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Directing anger towards inanimate objects is kind of a waste of time

But it does burn calories therefore one can 'get some nuts'.
  • kallemann67
    edited September 2015
    Options
    And how are we all feeling about the avocado?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I don't get angry about food. That's just not healthy. Less healthy then eating nuts that is for sure.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    The Avocado looked at me cross ways so I am mad at it!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    There's no substitute for nuts, but nuts aren't a requirement for a healthy diet. I think the serving size for nuts is sad and I don't find them the least bit filling, so I very rarely eat them. No big deal. I do eat plenty of nut butter, which is also calorie dense, but definitely worth it to me because it's so delicious.

So yeah, if it's not worth the calories/macros to you, just don't eat it.
  • kallemann67
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    The Avocado looked at me cross ways so I am mad at it!

ha!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I eat pistachios, by the time you've peeled 200kcals worth you've had enough anyway!.

The true negative calorie food, as you work off more calories peeling them than you eat.

(Just kidding.)

I thought that went for crab legs?
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I'm angry with the world because I can't eat 3000kcal of junk every day without becoming obese. I need help :(
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

(Just kidding.)

I thought that went for crab legs?

Best meal for that: crab legs (or lobster) with fava beans and some butternut squash (plus a poor knife). Followed by a mango-and-pistachio-based dessert.

(I know some people are good at mangos. I am not.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    And how are we all feeling about the avocado?

I feelz some avocado pretty much every day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Mangoes are slippery. Nuts are tricky. I measure nuts with a spoon or a shot glass.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fastest-Best-Way-to-Skin-a-Mango-10-Sec-Mango-Hack/
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'll preface this by saying that I really like nuts.
    But because I like them, it's really easy for me to eat 1000 calories worth.

However, if one is trying to lose weight while still needing to eat all the micros they need, nuts (and seeds) are a pretty poor choice micro/calorie wise.

Of course, if you are vegetarian/vegan your choices are quite limited but for alletarians I would recommend eating something else.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get mad at how much more expensive pecans and almonds can be. :/