Anyone else angry with nuts?

Options
I feel like I'm constantly being tricked when it comes to nuts. Almonds, which are considered to be "healthy", have twice as much fat as protein and not that many carbs. Also, they're around 400 calories for a half-cup.

Why are these things called "healthy?" What do you all use for substitutions? Is there anything else besides the PB2 powder?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    They are healthy. They are just calorie dense. I don't think there are substations for nuts; just eat an amount that fits into your calorie goal if you want them. I skip them because I prefer high volume.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I eat almond butter instead for the high fat content. Less calories the way I do it but I dilute it in coconut oil
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    This wins for best thread title. Major click-bait but I must say, I'm disappointed
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Nuts to nuts!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You are confusing healthy with low calorie. You are also assuming that fat is not healthy, which is just wrong. You do need fat as part of your diet and fat found in nuts is considered to be "good" fat.
  • fmadika
    fmadika Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow no more nuts for me
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Yeah, nuts are pretty disappointing from a protein quality and nutrition completeness score.
    The most disappointing nuts of all: Macadamias.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I eat pistachios, by the time you've peeled 200kcals worth you've had enough anyway!.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Directing anger towards inanimate objects is kind of a waste of time

I direct anger at the elliptical, especially when it increases the resistance in the interval program -> anger causes me to push harder, you know, to punish the elliptical -> burn more calories -> eat almonds ;)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    Directing anger towards inanimate objects is kind of a waste of time

I direct anger at the elliptical, especially when it increases the resistance in the interval program -> anger causes me to push harder, you know, to punish the elliptical -> burn more calories -> eat almonds ;)

I rate this post an A+

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Oh, thanks for reminding me I have a whole pack of nuts in the cupboard and I have to top my cals up before bed.
    Have 88 left.
    Just got back to counting after 6 month off so am being really anal.

Cheers, h.
    Now sat nibbling 13g of mixed nuts (14) = 80 cal.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Things can be healthy but not low calorie. This is why portion sizes are key!
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I like them, but I often have very hard time fitting them in my daily calorie plan.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Lol. I like how they taste, and I'm trying to get more good fats in (watching cholesterol). Yeah, they have a lot of calories. 5-7 nuts really tops off 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese as a snack though, I find.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    that's the thing with nuts,,, have your small little handful and move along,,, I love them all, give me a glass of wine or whole bottle, and I will eat all the nuts. yum. to nuts... they make me nutty. ha ha
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The healthy fat in nuts is the primary reason for them being called healthy. I eat nuts every single day.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    You are confusing healthy with low calorie. You are also assuming that fat is not healthy, which is just wrong. You do need fat as part of your diet and fat found in nuts is considered to be "good" fat.
    This^^
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm constantly being tricked when it comes to nuts. Almonds, which are considered to be "healthy", have twice as much fat as protein and not that many carbs. Also, they're around 400 calories for a half-cup.

Why are these things called "healthy?" What do you all use for substitutions? Is there anything else besides the PB2 powder?

calories have nothing to do with whether or not something is "healthy". things like nuts and avocados are packed with awesome nutrition...and they are very calorie dense...one has nothing to do with the other.

by your logic, diet soda would be super healthy as it has not calories...but really, it doesn't offer any real nutrition either...one has nothing to do with the other.