What are your favorite high volume foods?

Options
_lyndseybrooke_
_lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Yeah, so you can eat 10 cups of raw broccoli for 300 calories, but why would you ever want to?

What are your favorite foods/meals that taste great and actually fill you up? What do you choose when you want to eat a bunch of food, but don't have a bunch of calories/macros to spare?

Replies

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Tuna! A whole can of tuna is like 90-120 cals, I mix it with tons of tomato, onion, celery and mustard. Just a bit of salt/black pepper and I'm good to go or if I have the calories I substitute the mustard for 2 of of hummus *_*

Also an eggwhite tortilla with tons of veggies, I eat it with usually 2 of the very thin slices of bread

And lastly my daily dinner smoothie is only like 137 cals and I love it, I just mix 1 cup almond milk unsweetened or original, 1/2 scoop ON double chocolate powder, 50g frozen banana and 1 sweet and low or splenda , ice and boom #heaven

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Oh and helloooooo cauliflower mash, huge amount and so low in calories B)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like to use tons of carrots and celery in stews and soups to up the volume. I would not eat 10 cups of broccoli but I would add a cup to my eggs in the morning to fill me up. By distributing veggies throughout your day you are not sitting at dinner staring down at a plate of celery. :#
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    Oh and helloooooo cauliflower mash, huge amount and so low in calories B)

Yeah that's one of them for me. Take a bag of frozen veggies, cook, mash with a wedge of laughing cow cheese and some spices, enjoy. Pretty filling and delicious for like 110 calories, if that.

A big bowl of lettuce with one ounce of goat cheese works great for me too... 80 calories (I just use salt, pepper, vinegar and a bit of Dijon mustard for dressing)

Egg drop soup - 2 cups of broth with one egg whisked in - 90 calories

Soups I guess - mostly cauliflower, leek, onion, broth

My favorite is one serving of lean ground meat with half a bag of coleslaw cooked in a pan with 1-2 tbsp of soy sauce and a bit of rice vinegar - about 220 calories and a huge serving

Cauliflower fried rice (with egg and random veggies, I like adding diced ham or bacon)

Spaghetti squash and meat sauce (can replace the squash with eggplant and bake it)

Stuffed peppers

Veggie and shrimp stir fry
  • nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    All the cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, brussel sprouts, veggie stir fry, black bean spaghetti (+ shiritaki noodles for extra volume), salads with lemon juice + hummus, spaghetti squash, and lastly POPCORN! B)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yeah, so you can eat 10 cups of raw broccoli for 300 calories, but why would you ever want to?

What are your favorite foods/meals that taste great and actually fill you up? What do you choose when you want to eat a bunch of food, but don't have a bunch of calories/macros to spare?

You don't say how low, but the lowest I can think of is a big plate of spaghetti squash tossed with mushrooms and garlic. If I had the calories/macros I'd definitely add some parmesan, but it's good without it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    vegetable noodles, vegetable rice, stuffed vegetables , pureed vegetable soups, chili, stew. Often my meals are really large and under 250 calories (mostly from cheese or something delicious).