Bench Press (Trying to increase weight)

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    How are you with push ups? I would try those, do them on your knees first and progress to full push ups, see how many you can do in 20 seconds and try to reach 30 seconds, if you have to stop that's fine, eventually you will be able to do them without stopping, this will help you build strength and make bench press easier, hope this helps
    That's muscle endurance training which doesn't translate well to increasing strength. It's like a long distance runner running longer, but it's not going to increase their 40 yard sprint speed necessarily. Different type of muscle fiber recruitment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    I haven't been able to add weight to each exercise like your supposed to but I have added weight a lot since when I started. Since I don't have a spotter I try to do what I can handle. But when it's just the bar or with weight I do it slow and controlled. I keep my hands around shoulder length apart for 5 sets and then keep my hands tightly together for 5 sets targeting my triceps. I always make sure that my back is flat on the bench and my feet are firmly planted on the floor
    [/quote]

Check the BP 101 video (also look at youtube for proper form videos) already posted in this thread, your back should not be flat on the bench.

[/quote]

That's a good point as there are two main variations with bench, powerlifting and bodybuilding.
    You'd want a good video by search for powerlifting (or strength) bench setup.
    If you want a heavier bench you'll want an arch and you'll need to learn how to use leg drive.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    I have been trying to increase the weight I use on the bench press gradually. I started with just the bar 5x5 and for the past few weeks I have made it up to 10lbs on each side 5x5. I cant seem to push beyond that though, I cant do 12lbs for 5x5 or even 1x5. How should I move forward, stick with 10lbs or should I do like 5 sets of 1 or 2 reps with the higher weight?

When you were just benching the bar, how was the bar speed? Were you controlling it well on the eccentric and a controlled explosive concentric for a lack of better words? Bar speed is also a good indicator of when to progress the weight. One of the negatives of SL5x5 is that it's absolute as far as how weight is increased. If your reps are kind of slow and "grindy", you probably shouldn't progress the weight even if you can finish all sets.

Secondly, it could be a form issue so watch some videos on form. You don't need to go full-on powerlifter style, but a little arch and definitely good leg support and drive will keep your shoulders healthy and provide with a better base to press from.

I haven't been able to add weight to each exercise like your supposed to but I have added weight a lot since when I started. Since I don't have a spotter I try to do what I can handle. But when it's just the bar or with weight I do it slow and controlled. I keep my hands around shoulder length apart for 5 sets and then keep my hands tightly together for 5 sets targeting my triceps. I always make sure that my back is flat on the bench and my feet are firmly planted on the floor

For most people, back flat on the bench and a narrow grip like shoulder width is a recipe for injured shoulders in the long run. The best form for anyone is s combination of arch, grip width and touch point that keeps your shoulders in good position the entire movement.

How much you can arch is a function of how much laxity you have in your ligaments. Yes, you can stretch and improve it, but if you have generally stiff ligaments you will never develop a crazy high arch. Arching helps you use your back as well as transfer leg drive into useful power while you bench, which is part of how you are going to add more weight.

Widening out your grip will not only reduce stress on your shoulders but generally add more weight again, by helping your back muscles take most of the load.

Where you touch the bar on your chest will also either increase or decrease the stress on your shoulders.

Find your set up - everyone I know has a slightly different setup, that works every set every time. You want to be in the exact same place, everything exactly the way you lift best, every single set. It doesn't matter if it's your first warm up with just the bar or your heaviest working set.

Practise with a weight that is easy for you - you will find a grip width and a touch point that combined with whatever level of arch you do just feels easier and much less stressful on your shoulders.