The anti-sugar thing is now mainstream (check Twitter for #sugarrush).

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Deoxyribonucleic acid. I mean, acid. That sounds scary. And who can pronounce deoxyribonucleic? Don't trust it if you can't pronounce it. Big words bad.

YIKES!!!! That sounds super scary. I hope I don't have any of that inside me!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    i-3593e27ae057195fcf7d2e0ecf68a681-dietwater.jpg

Does this have fewer calories?
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i-3593e27ae057195fcf7d2e0ecf68a681-dietwater.jpg

I'd buy it just to see people's reactions.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Deoxyribonucleic acid. I mean, acid. That sounds scary. And who can pronounce deoxyribonucleic? Don't trust it if you can't pronounce it. Big words bad.

It starts with deoxy. Does that mean it destroys oxygen? That sounds bad. Can I detox myself from it with the diet water?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I ate three chocolate pudding cups earlier today and they were absolutely delicious. A tax on sugary drinks can't be a bad thing, though... It's not like we need them.

And what else don't we need? Most of our possessions fall under that heading, as do most things we eat and drink. All we really need is some kind of Soylent green mixture, water, a heat source, and a rudimentary structure to survive.

Everything else is then fair game.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Let others avoid sugar. Means more for us. Same goes for steak, regular potatoes (you can keep the sweet), beer, whiskey, cheese (or other diary), boxes of food, grain products (i.e., carbs), etc.
    They can keep the veggies (but pass over the butter).
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Does it make you wonder if it isn't just a fad?

Nevermind, I shouldn't ask that here. LOL

:smiley:

I hear ya.

Thing is, Jamie Oliver is blaming sugar for the obesity crisis as opposed to people just eating too much.

I can't be bothered to get into a Twitter argument but it's ripe for the taking as everyone is now thinking Jamie Oliver is a god, with some idiots saying he should be PM.

Nope the obesity crises was caused by that mum pushing fast food through the school railing several years ago when they tried to improve the standard of food in schools.

As for PM - maybe. He does make fab bacon sandwiches and well....vodka watermelon (do I need to go on).
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Anti sugar is not new! We ve known the evils of sugar for years!

Well the witch didn't live in a whole food house in Hansel and Gretel! Just saying!

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

YIKES!!!! That sounds super scary. I hope I don't have any of that inside me!!

I know! Apparently scientists have known about this acid since the 1950s! How long have we been walking around with this inside us?!
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

It starts with deoxy. Does that mean it destroys oxygen? That sounds bad. Can I detox myself from it with the diet water?

It's the only way!

Blame Watson and Crick for inventing it.

• seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Eggs were bad, now they are good. I always ate eggs and butter and I will keep eating sugar, a quarter of a hershey bar at a time. Balance!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Eggs were bad, now they are good. I always ate eggs and butter and I will keep eating sugar, a quarter of a hershey bar at a time. Balance!

It takes a while for science to catch up.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Anti sugar is not new! We ve known the evils of sugar for years!

Well the witch didn't live in a whole food house in Hansel and Gretel! Just saying!

:D LOL
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Jamie Oliver is on the sugar bashing bandwagon. He's lost a load of weight and the media has leached onto the fact he was eating seaweed and that was the main reason (he was burnt out surviving on 3hrs sleep, I think sorting out his lifestyle was the main reason his eating habits improved). He's got a new cookbook out with skinny food and superfood recipes. Plus a TV programme about the evils of sugar and how we should tax sugary drinks. I think it's just as much for his financial benefit and for his public image as it was to educate but I was surprised how many people were shocked on Twitter at the amount of added sugar in foods.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    scyian wrote: »
    . I think it's just as much for his financial benefit and for his public image as it was to educate but I was surprised how many people were shocked on Twitter at the amount of added sugar in foods.

Numeracy and literacy are obviously bigger problems than we thought. It's on the freaking label in plain view.

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Does it make you wonder if it isn't just a fad?

Nevermind, I shouldn't ask that here. LOL

:smiley:

I hear ya.

Thing is, Jamie Oliver is blaming sugar for the obesity crisis as opposed to people just eating too much.

I can't be bothered to get into a Twitter argument but it's ripe for the taking as everyone is now thinking Jamie Oliver is a god, with some idiots saying he should be PM.

Nope the obesity crises was caused by that mum pushing fast food through the school railing several years ago when they tried to improve the standard of food in schools.

No. Obesity is caused by eating too much.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    scyian wrote: »
    Jamie Oliver is on the sugar bashing bandwagon. He's lost a load of weight and the media has leached onto the fact he was eating seaweed and that was the main reason (he was burnt out surviving on 3hrs sleep, I think sorting out his lifestyle was the main reason his eating habits improved). He's got a new cookbook out with skinny food and superfood recipes. Plus a TV programme about the evils of sugar and how we should tax sugary drinks. I think it's just as much for his financial benefit and for his public image as it was to educate but I was surprised how many people were shocked on Twitter at the amount of added sugar in foods.

Aha! I knew there must have been a new product out or something.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    a4ff7df1b92cfdabade400cbac00d2c4.jpg

One of my favourite quotes. You rock.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    To create a new fad you need to do one or more of the following:
    1. Create a problem that doesn't exists, or overstate a minor problem, then propose a solution for it.
    2. Criticize the latest fad (or legitimate diet) and propose the exact opposite approach but with a different spin on calorie restriction with sciency-sounding words.
    3. Take a random, cheap to produce, but not globally well-known product, create magical claims for it, call it a superfood and sell it.
    4. Take an obscure study on an obscure product and inflate the findings to make it commercially viable.
    5. Take any good old diet perceived as healthy by the public, create a romanticized story and rituals for it, cherry pick research to make it sound legitimate, build a cult around it, profit.
    6. Take something people are already bashing/praising, but put a new spin on it, bashing/praising it in more creative ways to leech on the popularity better than others.