The anti-sugar thing is now mainstream (check Twitter for #sugarrush).

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Jamie let himself go a bit of late :smile:
    F_200608_August16Ed_197924a.jpg
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    To create a new fad you need to do one or more of the following:
    1. Create a problem that doesn't exists, or overstate a minor problem, then propose a solution for it.
    2. Criticize the latest fad (or legitimate diet) and propose the exact opposite approach but with a different spin on calorie restriction with sciency-sounding words.
    3. Take a random, cheap to produce, but not globally well-known product, create magical claims for it, call it a superfood and sell it.
    4. Take an obscure study on an obscure product and inflate the findings to make it commercially viable.
    5. Take any good old diet perceived as healthy by the public, create a romanticized story and rituals for it, cherry pick research to make it sound legitimate, build a cult around it, profit.
    6. Take something people are already bashing/praising, but put a new spin on it, bashing/praising it in more creative ways to leech on the popularity better than others.

*prints it out and sticks it on his office wall*

You're invited to the opening party for my new island when I've bought it. :smiley:
  • Collobrieres
    Collobrieres Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I watched the show on catchup. I think a sugar tax might make people switch to diet versions, but I don't think it will make people give up soda. There will be left-wing political types saying it will hit the poor disproportionately, but it has to be said that the upper classes are mostly not necking litres of the stuff and stuffing burgers all day long.

That sugar is bad isn't controversial surely ?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I watched the show on catchup. I think a sugar tax might make people switch to diet versions, but I don't think it will make people give up soda. There will be left-wing political types saying it will hit the poor disproportionately, but it has to be said that the upper classes are mostly not necking litres of the stuff and stuffing burgers all day long.

Sugar isn't bad. Too much sugar is. Just like too much protein, too much fat, too much vitamin A, etc.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Sugar isn't bad. Too much sugar is. Just like too much protein, too much fat, too much vitamin A, etc.

But for most people (who overeat) it's a lot easier to have too much sugar than too much protein
  • yarwell
    Options
    I watched the show on catchup. I think a sugar tax might make people switch to diet versions, but I don't think it will make people give up soda.

Depends on which "people". In some large population groups in the UK the median consumption is zero. Perhaps returning fizzy drinks to their role as an occasional treat for kids is the solution, for the SSB-specific health issues that Jamie was getting excited about.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I watched the show on catchup. I think a sugar tax might make people switch to diet versions, but I don't think it will make people give up soda.

Depends on which "people". In some large population groups in the UK the median consumption is zero. Perhaps returning fizzy drinks to their role as an occasional treat for kids is the solution, for the SSB-specific health issues that Jamie was getting excited about.

How do you propose we do that? Where do we get the money from to do that?

I am 100% for a sugary drink tax not because SUGAR IS EVIL but because 1) it will help reduce consumption 2) it will raise money for health education and 3) raise money for the NHS.
  • yarwell
    Options

I am 100% for a sugary drink tax not because SUGAR IS EVIL but because 1) it will help reduce consumption 2) it will raise money for health education and 3) raise money for the NHS.

Edukashon perhaps ? Role models ? Satire ?

Take the VAT off diet drinks if you want to create an incentive, the bottomless pit that is the NHS will get any savings that may result. Diet drinks are cheaper to make already so have a higher profit margin, should be in company's interests to promote them.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Maybe any increase on 'perceived' added sugar products should be offset by a subsidization on the price of fresh fruit and veg (I know that's not practical and will never happen, but it would be nice).

Fruit is so expensive in the UK.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

But for most people (who overeat) it's a lot easier to have too much sugar than too much protein

Sure, mostly because apart from eating potein powder out of the jar, there's no foods that are low volume and very high in protein. And most sugar guidelines are very low where protein is something like "don't eat over 200-300 grams per day, that ain't good for you." Though for different reasons obviously.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

Edukashon perhaps ? Role models ? Satire ?

Take the VAT off diet drinks if you want to create an incentive, the bottomless pit that is the NHS will get any savings that may result. Diet drinks are cheaper to make already so have a higher profit margin, should be in company's interests to promote them.

Ahhh yes. Let's take money way from the Treasury because the NHS has so much to spare, our education is so good for every single child that not one is left behind and drinks companies will when given a tax cut immedalety lower prices and push the product people by less off.

Total sense made. You've converted me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    1. Create a problem that doesn't exists, or overstate a minor problem, then propose a solution for it.
    2. Criticize the latest fad (or legitimate diet) and propose the exact opposite approach but with a different spin on calorie restriction with sciency-sounding words.
    3. Take a random, cheap to produce, but not globally well-known product, create magical claims for it, call it a superfood and sell it.
    4. Take an obscure study on an obscure product and inflate the findings to make it commercially viable.
    5. Take any good old diet perceived as healthy by the public, create a romanticized story and rituals for it, cherry pick research to make it sound legitimate, build a cult around it, profit.
    6. Take something people are already bashing/praising, but put a new spin on it, bashing/praising it in more creative ways to leech on the popularity better than others.

Ancel Keys did a great job using those guidelines. LOL
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    n

Sure, mostly because apart from eating potein powder out of the jar, there's no foods that are low volume and very high in protein. And most sugar guidelines are very low where protein is something like "don't eat over 200-300 grams per day, that ain't good for you." Though for different reasons obviously.

Is jerky not common in the UK?
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Ancel Keys did a great job using those guidelines. LOL

Incredible job, he drove most of the world off the nutritional cliff. Yea Keys!
  • yarwell
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    n

Is jerky not common in the UK?

it isn't hard to find - in either American or South African styles. I wouldn't say it was a mainstream snack / food item.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Perhaps returning fizzy drinks to their role as an occasional treat for kids is the solution, for the SSB-specific health issues that Jamie was getting excited about.

This is my view.

But it requires a cultural change, which is pretty hard. When I grew up (I'm 45), that's how things were, even in the US.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    See upcoming documentary with Katie Couric - Veg'ed Up: How whole foods are making us fat.

:successkid:
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    WRT taxes and reducing use, taxes do not discourage use. CF binge drinking culture in the UK and ongoing tobacco use especially with children and young adults.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't want a tax on my Mars icecream bars, I pay enough tax!