The anti-sugar thing is now mainstream (check Twitter for #sugarrush).

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    WRT taxes and reducing use, taxes do not discourage use.

I think it helps. When a product gets unaffordable, people may try to stop a bad habit (addiction). I know a few epode who quit smoking when the cost became prohibitive. $5 for a chocolate bar, rather than $1, might stop some people from buying it. It would have slowed me down, but I might have just bought a bag of chocolate chips instead.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The proposed tax (20%) is smaller than the variability of the price, I sometimes buy Pepsi Max at 25p/can (never more than 30p) but often it's sold at 50p or more. Pricing only works if the customer is price sensitive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Anti sugar is not new! We ve known the evils of sugar for years!

fruit should be banned...it's fecking evil *kitten*.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Whilst am not in the sugar is bad camp, too much sugar leads to overconsumption and obesity. Its very easy to over consume on products which are high in sugar, cheap, appealingly moresome and low in nutrition.

Obesity is a major problem for most western countries. Having a healthy balanced diet is one way of reducing consumption of excess calories. Stuffing your face full of processed sugar rich products is unlikely to be good imo, even if you stay at maintenance. I'd go education rather than taxes.
  • nvmomketo
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Education is definitely a HUGE part of changing behaviours. Very few people smoke in my city, especially when you look at the population with higher education levels. It is almost to the point where we are surprised to see smoking in public paces (plus it is banned indoors and in public gathering places).

A combination of education, prohibitive cost, and asking a behaviour difficult or socially unacceptable probably works best. JMO
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I don't want a tax on my Mars icecream bars, I pay enough tax!

Yum!

Indeed, I enjoy sugary snacks just fine.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I think it helps. When a product gets unaffordable, people may try to stop a bad habit (addiction). I know a few epode who quit smoking when the cost became prohibitive. $5 for a chocolate bar, rather than $1, might stop some people from buying it. It would have slowed me down, but I might have just bought a bag of chocolate chips instead.

- Protein bars are $5 here so I never buy them because unless they are made of the tears of unicorns, there is no reason for it to be more expensive than actual meat.

- Up to last month before I quit smoking, I would buy no matter how expensive it got, puffing while cursing the government like our grumpy 90 year old neighbor.

- Recently I couldn't find my favourite pudding anywhere and I offered to pay twice the price if the shopkeeper dug around his distribution circle for more stock.

- I like my once in a very long while twix bar, but not enough to pay $5 for it.

While price may deter some people, it tends to deter those who don't consume something enough for it to be a problem. Those who overconsume will continue overconsuming and those who eat nutritionally poor foods only occasionally will be the ones most affected by these taxes. People are creatures of habit, and if they feel their habit is being forcefully changed for them they will resist the change even if they have to be irrational.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

- Protein bars are $5 here so I never buy them because unless they are made of the tears of unicorns, there is no reason for it to be more expensive than actual meat.

- Up to last month before I quit smoking, I would buy no matter how expensive it got, puffing while cursing the government like our grumpy 90 year old neighbor.

- Recently I couldn't find my favourite pudding anywhere and I offered to pay twice the price if the shopkeeper dug around his distribution circle for more stock.

- I like my once in a very long while twix bar, but not enough to pay $5 for it.

While price may deter some people, it tends to deter those who don't consume something enough for it to be a problem. Those who overconsume will continue overconsuming and those who eat nutritionally poor foods only occasionally will be the ones most affected by these taxes. People are creatures of habit, and if they feel their habit is being forcefully changed for them they will resist the change even if they have to be irrational.

I agree that price will only deter some. About 20 years ago, my mother quit a 35 year, pack a day habit when the cost became too high. I have a couple of other family members who also quit for that reason. (Of course there were also health reasons but cost was their tipping point.)
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    And to think, there could have been a time when taxing fats and meats to deter consumption (vice tax) might have been a noble idea. For the sake of the children and everyone's heart health and blah blah blah blech. Is it a simple process to remove vice taxes once imposed in the UK?

• Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You see for me, I don't care about sugar in sweets etc. it's the hidden sugars in so-called healthy foods/ jars etc. that I think are wrong,

Rather than taxing the consumers, there should be pressure on manufacturers to refuse the amount of sugar they hide in foods. Especially in foods where it has no right being...
  • lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Carbs are necessary - like those from fruit, veggies, and so fourth but added sugar does absolutely nothing for us. I'll never say sugar is single handily causing obesity but when you start reading labels, the amount of things you would never call 'sweets' that have tons of added sugar is disturbing. Granted I know I'm extra sensitive these days as I just stood in the ICU of the local hospital two weeks ago watching my mother moments from her death declining faster than I could yell at the nurses that she wasn't okay, all from diabetes complications. We are beyond fortunate that a doctor arrived and put her on a respirator and correctly diagnosed the complications but after living through that, forgive me if I am armament about anti-sugar. I've always been concerned about sugar, even when I was 70 pounds heavier but it has always been from a diabetes prevention state of mind. Sure, there are people out there whose body will always process sugar properly but based on my family history even family members who others look at and say how could you be diabetic, you're skinny live with this life threatening disease. You could say I'm anti sure but I'm mostly anti diabetes and living my life in such a way to keep the disease from my life. I depends why people are avoiding sugar, some are bandwagoners sure but for me, its about living a long healthy life and that's not possible if I am not concerned with sugar. Its tough because I am very conscious about not filling up on fat or calories or other empty fillers.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    And to think, there could have been a time when taxing fats and meats to deter consumption (vice tax) might have been a noble idea. For the sake of the children and everyone's heart health and blah blah blah blech. Is it a simple process to remove vice taxes once imposed in the UK?

Income tax was introduced as a temporary measure (to fund a foreign war) a couple of centuries or more ago and is still with us. Once a tax or rule is in place we aren't good at getting shot of it - people move in and build empires on it which they then defend vigorously.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Yeah....except it's not.

Better go do some research. In fact, go read some books: Why we get Fat, The Rosedale Diet, and Keto clarity. Then we can continue this conversation.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Tesco banned Ribena a few months back due to the high sugar content and that had a bit of a backlash. Is it still banned? Didn't seem right they kept cola etc. on the shelves.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

The difference is that smoking is always bad for you. Chocolate is only bad in excess.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Yeah....except it's not.

Better go do some research. In fact, go read some books: Why we get Fat, The Rosedale Diet, and Keto clarity. Then we can continue this conversation.

And you had better go do some research other than books written by people who have no idea what they're talking about and only aim to make money by writing a book that claims to have all the answers.
  • yarwell
    edited September 2015
    Options
    scyian wrote: »
    Tesco banned Ribena a few months back due to the high sugar content and that had a bit of a backlash. Is it still banned? Didn't seem right they kept cola etc. on the shelves.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=255658833 still there, it was a ceretain pack format aimed at kids I think that they targetted.

IDShot_540x540.jpg
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I watched the show on catchup. I think a sugar tax might make people switch to diet versions, but I don't think it will make people give up soda. There will be left-wing political types saying it will hit the poor disproportionately, but it has to be said that the upper classes are mostly not necking litres of the stuff and stuffing burgers all day long.

That sugar is bad isn't controversial surely ?

Sugar isn't bad. Too much sugar is. Just like too much protein, too much fat, too much vitamin A, etc.

But for most people (who overeat) it's a lot easier to have too much sugar than too much protein

This became abundantly clear the first time I visited a food bank for work.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    well, maybe it is a fad, but I switched to packing my child a reusable water bottle in his lunch box instead of a juice box. I think between the peanut butter sandwich and the cookie or apple he has in there, additional sugar is probably overkill.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Wildstorms wrote: »
    You see for me, I don't care about sugar in sweets etc. it's the hidden sugars in so-called healthy foods/ jars etc. that I think are wrong,

Rather than taxing the consumers, there should be pressure on manufacturers to refuse the amount of sugar they hide in foods. Especially in foods where it has no right being...

yeah, when I found out that sugar is cereals, breads,condiments, fruit, etc... I felt like I should probably drop the sugar sweetened beverages, because I clearly get enough sugar in my diet :)