Is healthy food really more expensive?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're comparing. I can get a bag of potato chips for $3.99, or a 5 pound bag of oranges for $3.99. I can make healthier burgers and fries at home for less than a trip to McDonalds. But if your idea of healthy is organic-only, then it might be more expensive.
  • ntaluzek
    ntaluzek Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes, in general it costs more for high quality/fresh/healthy foods. However, I think that everyone should think of it as an investment. The food we eat has such a large impact on our health that by buying quality products you are investing in your body. Your body is the most valuable thing you have, and should be treated as such. The investments you make in time and money for a healthier life will be covered by how much money you save from not having to pay for as many medical treatments down the road.

Pay more for great food now --> Pay less for terrible medication later
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Depends. It's possible to eat healthy and it be more expensive and it can also be less expensive...and it's possible to eat unhealthy and it be more/less expensive.

The problem is, someone suddenly decides to eat "healthy", so they go on a "healthy" shopping spree...and they don't know the tricks to getting the best deal and they pay full price for everything because they haven't caught sales on the "healthy" food when they could stock up.

To get a good deal on *anything*, it helps to have knowledge, patience, experience, practice, etc.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    In my area, farmer's markets are outrageously expensive. It's often far more than grocery store prices and some stuff isn't even locally grown.

If you live in an area that has them, Latino and Asian grocery stores are often far, far cheaper than standard grocery stores for fruits, vegetables, herbs, meats and fish rice, beans, etc.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Of course you can buy crackers, chips, etc for cheap - but they don't keep you full for very long. I've found whole foods last me in satiation a hell of a lot longer than processed "food" ever did.

Besides, what you spend on healthy groceries, you should save in the longrun on medical expenses and prescriptions! :drinker:
  • ALLENFLO
    ALLENFLO Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You can't put a price on health. Cut out something else from your life to compensate if it's too much. For example, cancel your cable subscription to compensate. That is a win win because it keeps you off the couch and let's you buy healthier food. Also, not eating out as much helps as well.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Depends. It's possible to eat healthy and it be more expensive and it can also be less expensive...and it's possible to eat unhealthy and it be more/less expensive.

The problem is, someone suddenly decides to eat "healthy", so they go on a "healthy" shopping spree...and they don't know the tricks to getting the best deal and they pay full price for everything because they haven't caught sales on the "healthy" food when they could stock up.

To get a good deal on *anything*, it helps to have knowledge, patience, experience, practice, etc.

QFT
  • ClumsyArtist
    ClumsyArtist Posts: 40 Member
    Options

THIS
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    No.

I just did my shopping list for payday on Tuesday.

I live with a friend from work, so we get our own stuff then go halves on things like salads and things we both eat. Basically, I buy veggie food and she buys meat and junk food.

My diary will go something like this:

Breakfast: Coffee + half a grilled veggie sausage sandwich (enough to keep me full as it's okay for protein but I'm never hungry in the mornings, hence the half portion)

First break at work: Porridge with some protein power and skimmed milk

Lunch: Quorn chicken salads or stir-fry or veggie Bolognese

Second break at work: Coffee and a yogurt. Then if it's a gym day I will have a protein bar afterwards

Dinner: Whatever. Salads, vegetables, pizza...

I'd class that as 'healthy' because it's pretty balanced. I would never cut out anything. The ingredients come up to around £25 for the week. I already have the whey for the porridge, though.

Frozen veg, eggs, bulk buy with offers...
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing online and in conversation with friends and coworkers that it's so much harder to eat healthy because healthy foods are more expensive. I am torn on the subject because I know produce can be expensive and can depend on your area. But I also know that when you eat healthy, you buy less junk foods and maybe even less food overall. I'm curious, what are your thoughts? It is a cop out or it is eating healthy really cost prohibitive?

I just totaled up my grocery receipts so far for the month of June: $77.41 for one adult. That doesn't include several restaurant meals that were just for fun, not a regular part of my diet.

I stopped buying junk food in April 2013. My diet base is organic brown rice, lentils, and fresh vegetables, plus Green Mountain espresso. Once in a while I'll eat an egg or some tuna, but I'm trying to cut out the tuna. I don't buy other meat, alcohol, desserts, or treats like special condiments. I'm also not trying to eat as cheaply as possible -- it's just ended up that way.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You can't put a price on health. Cut out something else from your life to compensate if it's too much. For example, cancel your cable subscription to compensate. That is a win win because it keeps you off the couch and let's you buy healthier food. Also, not eating out as much helps as well.

Yes! Pay for health now, save in the long-run; or, buy junk now and pay for illness and obesity-related diseases later.

Exercise doesn't have to cost a ton either. Good running shoes and a good sports bra (for us ladies) = $75. Then, run on trails. No gym fee required. :happy:
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing online and in conversation with friends and coworkers that it's so much harder to eat healthy because healthy foods are more expensive. I am torn on the subject because I know produce can be expensive and can depend on your area. But I also know that when you eat healthy, you buy less junk foods and maybe even less food overall. I'm curious, what are your thoughts? It is a cop out or it is eating healthy really cost prohibitive?

It's absolutely more expensive. And much more time/enegry consuming to prepare. It goes bad faster as well. But if you have the money and the time, I think you should stick with it anyway.!Think of it as an investment in health.
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing I'm in the lower percentile for MFP users here, but we are a family of five and very low income, living in a place where nothing grows locally (a food desert.) So food is our biggest expense, next to rent.

This week I spent $15 at the discount grocery on:
    - a gallon of milk
    - a small loaf of low-end quality bread
    - a frozen veggie pizza
    - a bag of frozen vegetables

It's not a lot of money, but it's also not a lot of food. And when you've only got $50 every two weeks to feed five people, fresh veggies are not always on the menu.
  • AdamBrown1974
    Options
    It also depends on how you define 'health' food.

A single burger with mustard is cheap and if not health, at least not unhealthy.

A couple of burgers with cheese, mayo, a side of fries and a can of coke is definitely more expensive and unhealthy.

I've learned that health food is less about health, and more about proportion. As another example consider spaghetti. A big carb and calorie bomb, but cheap right? That's if you're having tomato paste based sauce with ground beef and cheese on a heaping plate. But what if you're having a small bowl with a chopped tomatoes instead? Cheap and healthy.

Choose your food wisely but also in the proper proportion.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Per calorie eating healthier is quite often more expensive. However, if you are cutting 500-1000 calories a day and eating out less it won't be that much more. In some cases there are people that actually spend less on food when they eat healthier. It is really going to depend on your preferences and how smart you shop.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Fyi i've seen (and bought) a lot of vegetable/fruit items at the dollar store (99 Cents Only stores to be exact....i'm in Houston)

They have name brand bagged salads (Dole, Fresh Express) lemons, green peppers, green beans, onions. I've seen oranges, apples, limes and bananas as well. The expiry dates on the salad are usually 5-7 days away, the vegetables/fruit looks fresh and decent
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Let's face it - McDonald's has access to cheaper hamburger than anyone who isn't a farmer. Even after markup and making a profit, they still undercut... not in places like, say, North Dakota, but not everyone lives there and we're not comparing hamburgers to hamburgers. We're comparing portioned healthy things to them, which is where the dollar menu starts to lose.

Here's the cost breakdown of my lunch. These are at those North Dakota prices I keep saying aren't applicable to everyone, and sale prices at that... and at double what I spent, it would still be cheaper than the dollar menu.
    .11 - serving of pasta (1lb box = .88)
    .50 - serving of beef (1lb = 1.98)
    .18 - serving of green beans (1lb frozen = .88)
    .09 - 1/3 medium onion (2lb bag = 1.60)
    .50 - 1/2 cup cottage cheese (tub = 2.50)
    Total: 1.38

Side note: this was assuming someone ordered at least three things on said dollar menu... and as someone who worked at one, that was what I observed to be the rule rather than the exception.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on how much income your family brings in and how many people are in your family and how many calories a day each person needs...And if some people/person in the family unit eats more than they needs regardless of what their calorie need is. There are times when we will spend like $200 on fresh fruit, veggies, and lean meat and it will barely make it to our next pay check.

But everyone is contributing and it's not just me and my mom buying, and we eat it to match our calorie needs, it's very inexpensive and we're able to save money.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    it's probably never going to be cheaper than McDonald's value meal dollar menu.

I've never had anything on a dollar menu that actually left me feeling satiated or full. I can eat like 10 Mc Donalds cheese burgers before I feel remotely satiated.

Plus...all these people that can barely eat more than 1,000 calories because broccoli is so filling really shouldn't have too many grocery budget issues.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    No.. i dont think it really is more expensive..

Ok, i am eating a ton more fresh fruit... and fish, fish can be an added expense when your the only one in the family that eats it. But it just replaces the amount of crap i used to buy.

example binge night after a late shift: burger king bacon double cheese xl meal (large) x2 (1 for me 1 for the oh) normaly about £13.50, bottle of coke £1.99, bag of doritos £1.50, pot of hummus £1.50 Total £18.49

When i buy my fruit and salad stuff its about £15.. but last more than one night, an im the only one eating it.

I buy my meat/poultry from a butchers outlet which is cheaper than local supermarket.