Is healthy food really more expensive?

Options

Replies

• Jeannine711
    Jeannine711 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am spending less eating healthy...I eat less and eat out seldom.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    No, it's not.
  • BurnBabyyyBurn
    Options
    No, not at all! Oatmeal, chicken, spinach, etc. These simple foods are way cheaper than all that processed frozen crap!
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think that while some healthy can be expensive- if you are looking to remain on a budget, its more than doable. One of the best things my parents taught me was to cook everything from scratch- with that, i am much more conscious of the food i buy and therefore the money i spend. there is nothing worse than vegetables that start to go bad in the fridge but instead of throwing them out, make a pot of homemade vegetable stock or if you have the chicken bones from a rotisserie chicken, throw them in. using what you have to make many meals is the absolute best!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    It's not cost prohibitive if you plan it right.

It also depends on what you consider 'healthy'. Some folks won't eat any produce that's not fresh, and that can add up. I eat a lot of frozen veggies, with the exception of a big bag of spinach I buy once a week.

Eggs are cheap, and so is chicken and fish.

If you're not an organic, free-range-grass-fed only type of person, good food can be really cheap.

^ This. Also, learning to cook helps.
  • zderain
    Options
    it also really does depend on what you call healthy. many of the cheap variety of healthy foods like meats, oatmeal, canned soups or chili or most canned things, or even boxed health foods or pizza dough or breads..... they all have things like msg, corn syrup, high amounts of sodium, artificial sweetners, yeast or citric acids that make msg, hydrogenized oils or other hydronized things that are very unhealthy.
    And that is something to think about... many of those ingredients not only have harmful effects but actually make peoples bodies generate more fat and keep it.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Well I think to answer is relative to both what you consider healthy and the effort you are willing to make to find reasonably priced food.

Couple of thoughts...

I tend to notice people are all to ready to buy the newest phone, laptop etc at extremely high prices just to have it first or straight away but tend to be upset about the prospect of paying a little extra for quality food.

Often I hear friends saying they will not join the gym because it is too expensive but often they will have 1 to several lattes a day which far exceeds the cost of gym membership...priorities I guess.

In a sense it can be true as large food chains and restaurants have substantial buying power ergo they can afford to sell fast food at prices quite low whereas less popular food outlets have less buying power hence higher prices.

The question is if you believe your definition of healthy food is more expensive do you not believe your health and body are worth it.
  • Beet_Girl
    Options
    Anyone who thinks healthy food isn't more expensive doesn't live on a $20/wk food budget. I can NEVER buy fresh produce because it's often over a dollar a piece where I am, so I can forget the 6 servings a day or whatever of that. Canned and frozen for me, but even that isn't enough. However, I could easily fill all my caloric needs on crap.

I was thinking this. I usually end up doing all my shopping in $10 increments because that's often literally all I can afford. That means I can't buy in bulk (to take advantage of cheap chicken breasts, for example). Healthy foods are definitely more expensive than buying frozen dinners and ramen, especially when you need the calories.

Sure, I could buy a head of lettuce, but that's going to give me like 100 calories total. On the other hand, I could spend the same amount (it was about $1.50 when I bought one the other day) and get like five packs of ramen. Startup costs on eating healthy is also prohibitive. For example, stocking your pantry with basic items, like flour, sugar, seasonings, pasta, rice...makes for an expensive first few shopping trips. If you're like me, you don't have the money to go out and buy these basics that end up making cooking your own foods cheaper.

Add in time and learning how to cook, and a lot of people simply don't have the time or want to learn due to jobs, and it gets worse. I could spend an hour doing my job and making money...or I could make a meal with all fresh, healthy ingredients.

Same here. I am barely scraping by, and it's just not in the books for me to buy a bunch of cooking and baking equipment and ingredients right now. And there's just no way I have enough savings for bulk products, and no car to transport it all anyway. Not gonna lie, I have gone days with nothing but PB&J sandwiches when I run out of cash before my paycheck. Someone on food stamps might have it a little better, but I don't think it would be ethical for me to partake since I am a student and could theoretically drop out any time and have a full time job. But I'm just not willing to sacrifice my education to have a better quality of life.

So ironically, I guess healthy food might not be more expensive if you are already rich.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    it also really does depend on what you call healthy. many of the cheap variety of healthy foods like meats, oatmeal, canned soups or chili or most canned things, or even boxed health foods or pizza dough or breads..... they all have things like msg, corn syrup, high amounts of sodium, artificial sweetners, yeast or citric acids that make msg, hydrogenized oils or other hydronized things that are very unhealthy.
    And that is something to think about... many of those ingredients not only have harmful effects but actually make peoples bodies generate more fat and keep it.
    I was under the impression a calorie surplus made you fat...can you cite references to validate this statement?
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks healthy food isn't more expensive doesn't live on a $20/wk food budget. I can NEVER buy fresh produce because it's often over a dollar a piece where I am, so I can forget the 6 servings a day or whatever of that. Canned and frozen for me, but even that isn't enough. However, I could easily fill all my caloric needs on crap.

I was thinking this. I usually end up doing all my shopping in $10 increments because that's often literally all I can afford. That means I can't buy in bulk (to take advantage of cheap chicken breasts, for example). Healthy foods are definitely more expensive than buying frozen dinners and ramen, especially when you need the calories.

Sure, I could buy a head of lettuce, but that's going to give me like 100 calories total. On the other hand, I could spend the same amount (it was about $1.50 when I bought one the other day) and get like five packs of ramen. Startup costs on eating healthy is also prohibitive. For example, stocking your pantry with basic items, like flour, sugar, seasonings, pasta, rice...makes for an expensive first few shopping trips. If you're like me, you don't have the money to go out and buy these basics that end up making cooking your own foods cheaper.

Add in time and learning how to cook, and a lot of people simply don't have the time or want to learn due to jobs, and it gets worse. I could spend an hour doing my job and making money...or I could make a meal with all fresh, healthy ingredients.

Same here. I am barely scraping by, and it's just not in the books for me to buy a bunch of cooking and baking equipment and ingredients right now. And there's just no way I have enough savings for bulk products, and no car to transport it all anyway. Not gonna lie, I have gone days with nothing but PB&J sandwiches when I run out of cash before my paycheck. Someone on food stamps might have it a little better, but I don't think it would be ethical for me to partake since I am a student and could theoretically drop out any time and have a full time job. But I'm just not willing to sacrifice my education to have a better quality of life.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I've gone for a couple of days with a dollar loaf of bread and a dollar pack of hot dogs (oh the nightmares), thankfully I already had ketchup and mayo but that was about it. I couldn't have lived for two or three days off of two dollars of veggies.
    So ironically, I guess healthy food might not be more expensive if you are already rich.

There's actually a term for this, I can't think of it right now. Basically the idea that rich people save money because they can afford to buy quality/bulk items that last much longer and are cheaper in the long run, while poor people have to buy smaller amounts more frequently because they don't have the excess money on hand, which ends up being more expensive.
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have totally different eating habits. I try to eat very healthily; he eats a lot of pizza rolls and junk food. We go half and half on our grocery bill, and I notice I spend significantly more on his groceries than mine for an equal amount (and I have celiac disease, which is effin' expensive). So no, in my opinion, I don't think eating healthy is more expensive; quite the opposite. I'm so glad he approached me this week asking me to help him eat healthier... saves on grocery bills and his health! :)

EDIT: Honestly, I think it depends on the area. Fresh produce in my area is pretty cheap.

I have celiac as well and I have not found this to be true UNLESS you end up buying yourself a lot of specialty gluten-free items every week. The only dedicated GF items I get on a regular basis are Udi's pizza crust, Gluten Free Pantry's All-Purpose Flour (which I buy a case of 4 boxes off of Amazon and that seems to last me literally forever haha), and GF pasta which I get out of the bulk bins in my grocery store (cheaper than buying it boxed). Anything else besides these items are splurges but are not necessary.

Everything else I get is naturally gluten free...meat, produce, etc. I also get grocery items that are already GF as they are.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    When I buy more produce, I actually spend less. I buy what's on sale in the produce section and I don't buy meat, so that helps me keep our bill low. I admit, groceries are a high priority I my life, so I a lot an appropriate amount of money according to my priority and income. I am very fortunate to be able to do this.

I would say, when you can hit farmers markets, that's where you'll usually find the best deals. Also look for the discount produce section. It might not be a perfect looking fruit or vegetable, but it will be just as nutritious! Vegetables last longer once they are cooked. I've been spending less since I began cooking all my food (about 2 large dishes) over the weekend.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

If you need some help with purchasing food, food stamps aren't what I'd consider unethical. That's what that program is there for. That being said you need to do what makes you comfortable, of course.

As someone in a similar financial boat, I can offer you some ideas on what I do and you can see if it's applicable to your situation:

1.) My food budget is $20 a week. I eat a lot of eggs, chicken, lentils, some rice, frozen veggies because ain't no way I'm affording fresh.
    2.) 75% of my cooking is done in the same two pans I got from Big Lots for $12. I do mainly stove top cooking, only use the oven for baking chicken.
    3.) The glass thing I bake my chicken in was I think $8 from Walmart.
    4.) All other cooking I do in a cheap rice cooker that I got at a yard sale for...I don't even remember.

It's possible to be super poor and eat fairly well. I never go out to eat unless someone else offers to buy.

Also, old thread is old. I scrolled back and LOL'ed when I saw I posted the second post.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    No, not at all! Oatmeal, chicken, spinach, etc. These simple foods are way cheaper than all that processed frozen crap!

The average package of chicken here is about 5 or 6 breasts at a cost of about $25 a pack so for a family of three that does not go far.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

The average package of chicken here is about 5 or 6 breasts at a cost of about $25 a pack so for a family of three that does not go far.

I agree that chicken breasts are outrageously expensive. I eat only the thighs or legs which are almost always cheaper. Or the liver.
  • prairielilly
    prairielilly Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're buying and what is 'expensive' where you live. If I can get meat for less than $3/meal I'll buy as much of it as I can afford and freeze it. Then buy stuff in bulk like brown rice, canned beans and frozen vegetables. Only buy fresh what you can eat before it spoils.

I'd say overall I'm not spending more since I started eating healthily, I'm spending about the same but on different stuff. More on meat, less on lunch at the cafeteria (impossible to accurately log anyways). I treat myself occasionally but don't exactly live large. There's not really a big difference in the overall monetary budget. There IS a big difference in the amount of time I spend cooking, and the amount of pots I have to wash every night lol. If it's important enough you'll find a way to fit it in.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

I agree that chicken breasts are outrageously expensive. I eat only the thighs or legs which are almost always cheaper. Or the liver.

When you think about it, it's a bit strange that the lowest fat portion of the chicken is the most expensive. It's not the same everywhere. Chicken legs and thighs taste much better because of the fat content. Love them.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

When you think about it, it's a bit strange that the lowest fat portion of the chicken is the most expensive. It's not the same everywhere. Chicken legs and thighs taste much better because of the fat content. Love them.

I know, I can't stand white meat. Too damn dry and tasteless for the price.
  • Idahoshaw
    Idahoshaw Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a family of 5. Since we changed how we eat, our grocery bill has gone down. A bag of sweet potatoes is cheaper than a bag of frozen french fries. Apples and oranges are cheaper than chips and crackers. It is healthier and cheaper. My grocery bill goes way up when I buy boxed, frozen, or bagged items. Plus, since we have started eating healthy, we don't eat out as much either. We use to eat out weekly. Now we only eat out once every couple months. The dollar deals as McDonald's may seem like a great deal, but once you get use to eating better, the deal won't look that great.

Local farmer's markets and organic sections of your regular grocery stores will give you great prices. Look for sales on produce and organic products. Learn when things are in season. Look for those little farmers stands on the corner selling produce, sometimes they have great stuff. Grow your own produce, there is nothing better.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Exactly! I'll try a recipe once or twice with chicken breasts just to experience it the way the chef did , then it's on to thighs! I just bought four or five packs yesterday because they were on sale, looking around and running out of the grocery store as though I stole something!

$8 for a bottle of orange juice what?! Come on. Food finally becomes affordable then we let people tell us it's totally unhealthy, we actually believe them and suddenly are not satisfied with what we can't afford. I mean, really, if you want to be truly healthy, ditch the juice , buy the fruit (when it is in season LOL). Personally if a recipe calls for juice or apple cider , I'll by the cheapest store brand I can find.

For the college student who doesn't want to be on food stamps , I also get the impression that you know your condition is not permanent, hang in there!! Only thing I'll say is if you do the hot dog and bread thing or PB&J when money runs out , you could always intentionally do this for a week to get your initial food investment going. My college roommates ate pretty healthy and were Indian. It seemed they pooled their resources together to buy and make food they liked. You could always go halfsies on staples with a roommate if you have one!