Fun debate about CICO

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So to clarify on original point, CICO always applies and where those calories come from is irrelevant unless you have a pre-existing medical conditional, like insulin resistance or a thyroid problem. All that aside, in a normal person with no discernible medical problems, a calorie is a calorie, whether it comes from fat, salt, carbs, protein, whatever.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    A bit more reading suggests that activity may be responsible at least in part, Cornier cites Levine http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9880251 as finding large variations in NEAT responsible for variations in fat gain during overfeeding :
    ewuvagpsav87.png

In other words the maths only works if you measure everything rigorously and correctly and don't assume CO is a constant.

With all that said, the confusion is, CICO is still valid.

Yes, but I think the point is that CO is hard to establish because it varies so much between people, and even day to day, or meal to meal. Some foods (CI) will change what an individual's CO is for a time, and some foods (CI) make it easier or harder to eat at a caloric deficit.

Just my interpretation.

The differences are far from huge in the vast majority of people of the same stats. That's the nice thing about averages, most people is somewhere close to it.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    You also have the issue that the CO part is virtually impossible to calculate with any accuracy independently -- most calculate it based on a lot of assumptions (such as common BMR numbers) or in reverse based on their weight loss result (which once again with the fat/muscle issue is only an estimate at best). So when people talk about the law being indisputable, it is true but also not completely accurate as applied to the extremely complex system of the human body.
    It's virtually impossible to calculate where a leaf falling to the ground is going to land. That doesn't mean the leaf is violating the laws of physics.

Even talking complexity into account, you're arguing edge cases in which the absolute numbers might not always line up, but they don't always line up in any approach.

I never said it violated or invalidated a law of thermodynamics. Just that there are inherent limitations when you apply those laws to a complex biological system for the practical purposes of weight loss. The fact that some can't seem to understand those differences is troubling.

Because people like you like to talk about "edge cases", that's why I cite IR as an example as it affects over 40% of US adults -- those are not "edge cases". And IR is just one of many examples. When you add them all up -- IR, thyroid, vitamin D deficiencies, other autoimmune issues, adrenal insufficiency, etc. -- it's probably more than half of the population.

• stevencloser
    Options
    You also have the issue that the CO part is virtually impossible to calculate with any accuracy independently -- most calculate it based on a lot of assumptions (such as common BMR numbers) or in reverse based on their weight loss result (which once again with the fat/muscle issue is only an estimate at best). So when people talk about the law being indisputable, it is true but also not completely accurate as applied to the extremely complex system of the human body.
    It's virtually impossible to calculate where a leaf falling to the ground is going to land. That doesn't mean the leaf is violating the laws of physics.

Even talking complexity into account, you're arguing edge cases in which the absolute numbers might not always line up, but they don't always line up in any approach.

I never said it violated or invalidated a law of thermodynamics. Just that there are inherent limitations when you apply those laws to a complex biological system for the practical purposes of weight loss. The fact that some can't seem to understand those differences is troubling.

Because people like you like to talk about "edge cases", that's why I cite IR as an example as it affects over 40% of US adults -- those are not "edge cases". And IR is just one of many examples. When you add them all up -- IR, thyroid, vitamin D deficiencies, other autoimmune issues, adrenal insufficiency, etc. -- it's probably more than half of the population.

None of those things are even in the same ballpark as eating too much when it comes to not losing weight.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @lindsey1979 'And then you have things like pesky hormones and how they can effect the equation -- which a lot of people don't want to admit exist because it can get soooo complicated at this point. Whether you're talking insulin, thyroid, HGH, grehlin, leptin, etc. -- it goes on and on and we really are only starting to scratch the surface of how this all works.'

Who is the we and starting to scratch the surface of what?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    CICO is a great guideline but it has its limitations when applied to the human body -- because unlike the physics law in a closed system, the human body has a lot more variables -- we literally have 1000s of chemical reactions in our metabolic pathways, and the coefficients and efficiency of those reactions can vary greatly, especially as influenced by various hormones. Plus, you have the issue that a lb of fat releases 3500 cals, but a lb of muscle releases a lot less (something like 900-1700). So depending on your fat to muscle ratio in your weight loss will greatly change your numbers on the scale -- if you're losing more muscle, the numbers will go down quicker. If you're losing more fat, the numbers will go down slower.

And then you have things like pesky hormones and how they can effect the equation -- which a lot of people don't want to admit exist because it can get soooo complicated at this point. Whether you're talking insulin, thyroid, HGH, grehlin, leptin, etc. -- it goes on and on and we really are only starting to scratch the surface of how this all works.

An easy hormone example is someone that has insulin resistance. There was a study in 2012 or so that showed that women with good insulin sensitivity lost nearly twice as much weight as their counterparts on a higher carb diet isocaloric deficit diet (protein was the same and caloric deficit was the same). But their insulin resistance counterparts had the exact opposite happen -- they lost nearly twice as much weight on the lower carb diet. Same amounts of protein, same deficit and drastically different results based on carb/fat ratio depending on the individual woman's insulin sensitivity/resistance. So, that's a powerful example of how all calories are not all equal and would produce drastically different results in different women for the same amount of total calories.

And before anyone gets all up in arms about how insulin resistance is rare -- it's not. Per the CDC, over 40% of US adults have insulin resistance at diabetic or prediabetic levels -- the vast majority of which don't know it. I think actual numbers from their 2014 report (which had data from 2010-2012 I think) was something like 9.3% had diabetes and 37% had insulin resistance at prediabetic levels -- that's over 46%, or almost half of the population of US adults! That's a LOT of people.

So, CICO is a great guideline and definitely a place to start when you're looking to lose weight. But, if you find yourself not seeing results after following it (and you're truly accurately weighing/measuring your food), then you need to start to look at issues outside of CICO such as insulin resistance, thyroid, etc. Because you might be in that half of the population that has an issue that shifts the equation from its commonly understood applications.

There is nothing limiting applying the CICO to biological systems, other than expecting an unrealistic accuracy of outcome. Regardless of the number of metabolic pathways all living organisms follow the same pathways.

Of course hormones have impact, but not nearly to the degree you're suggesting. If you have objective evidence to the contrary please provide the source.

There is a great deal of evidence that insulin resistance is caused by obesity, the primary driver of which is eating more than your body needs. Insulin resistance is common in western society because obesity is common in western society. A comparison population study to the World shows no evidence to the nature of diet, but simply eating more that ones body needs to function.

CICO still applies regardless of disorders, only new variables are being introduced.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I argue that dietary compliance trumps everything when it comes to long term weight management.

Agreed. For some people, compliance is supported by often choosing foods and ratios etc. that promote satiety.

Yup. And those ratios vary for different people. I've seen people say they are sated best with low carb, high protein. I've seen people say they are sated best with low carb, high fat. I've seen people say they are sated best with high carb, low fat. I'm sated best with moderate carb, fat, and protein.

I don't think there's any ONE way that's best and this is probably the only area where I'd go for putting forth that silly "we're all different" argument. Macro balance satisfaction will vary by individual. What ultimately matters is what will work for any given individual for a long term dietary solution.

A separate, but I think also important, issue, is that of types of food to include in the diet for long-term compliance.

But that's a subject for another post ;)

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    CICO is a great guideline but it has its limitations when applied to the human body -- because unlike the physics law in a closed system, the human body has a lot more variables -- we literally have 1000s of chemical reactions in our metabolic pathways, and the coefficients and efficiency of those reactions can vary greatly, especially as influenced by various hormones. Plus, you have the issue that a lb of fat releases 3500 cals, but a lb of muscle releases a lot less (something like 900-1700). So depending on your fat to muscle ratio in your weight loss will greatly change your numbers on the scale -- if you're losing more muscle, the numbers will go down quicker. If you're losing more fat, the numbers will go down slower.

And then you have things like pesky hormones and how they can effect the equation -- which a lot of people don't want to admit exist because it can get soooo complicated at this point. Whether you're talking insulin, thyroid, HGH, grehlin, leptin, etc. -- it goes on and on and we really are only starting to scratch the surface of how this all works.

An easy hormone example is someone that has insulin resistance. There was a study in 2012 or so that showed that women with good insulin sensitivity lost nearly twice as much weight as their counterparts on a higher carb diet isocaloric deficit diet (protein was the same and caloric deficit was the same). But their insulin resistance counterparts had the exact opposite happen -- they lost nearly twice as much weight on the lower carb diet. Same amounts of protein, same deficit and drastically different results based on carb/fat ratio depending on the individual woman's insulin sensitivity/resistance. So, that's a powerful example of how all calories are not all equal and would produce drastically different results in different women for the same amount of total calories.

And before anyone gets all up in arms about how insulin resistance is rare -- it's not. Per the CDC, over 40% of US adults have insulin resistance at diabetic or prediabetic levels -- the vast majority of which don't know it. I think actual numbers from their 2014 report (which had data from 2010-2012 I think) was something like 9.3% had diabetes and 37% had insulin resistance at prediabetic levels -- that's over 46%, or almost half of the population of US adults! That's a LOT of people.

So, CICO is a great guideline and definitely a place to start when you're looking to lose weight. But, if you find yourself not seeing results after following it (and you're truly accurately weighing/measuring your food), then you need to start to look at issues outside of CICO such as insulin resistance, thyroid, etc. Because you might be in that half of the population that has an issue that shifts the equation from its commonly understood applications.

None of that meals CICO not a valid formula. Everything you mentioned factors into CO but just because we can't fully determine what the numbers really are doesn't mean it's now invalid.

I didn't say it was invalid, but had limitations as far as applying it to the human body (especially for weight loss). Difficulty or impossibility in practical application is a pretty big limitation when you're talking about weight loss or other similar things.

It's ... not impractical to apply simply because the equation is sometimes complicated by other factors.

You're conflating things that shouldn't be conflated.

Your body will still work at an energy deficit and burn fat if you give it less calories than it needs to maintain your current weight, even if you can't suss out the numbers.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    A bit more reading suggests that activity may be responsible at least in part, Cornier cites Levine http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9880251 as finding large variations in NEAT responsible for variations in fat gain during overfeeding :
    ewuvagpsav87.png

In other words the maths only works if you measure everything rigorously and correctly and don't assume CO is a constant.

Yes, but I think the point is that CO is hard to establish because it varies so much between people, and even day to day, or meal to meal. Some foods (CI) will change what an individual's CO is for a time, and some foods (CI) make it easier or harder to eat at a caloric deficit.

Just my interpretation.
    Meal-to-meal and day-to-day don't matter for CO any more than they matter for weight. Look at the trends.

How do some foods make it harder or easier to eat at a deficit? Are you talking about caloric density and satiety or something else?

I was referring to satiety and factors like hormones (ex. insulin, cortisol, and IGF-1). Those hormones will have an effect, albeit not a huge one, on CO.

Majoring in the minors, really. For all I'm for gathering data and for all I like logging exactly, all you really need to lose weight is a scale and your eyes to see how CICO works. Eat less than you've been eating. Weigh yourself. Losing weight? That's CICO. Losing too fast? Eat more. Losing too slow? Eat less. Don't like how you feel? Change what you're eating.

It's not that complicated.

• PeachyCarol
    edited September 2015
    Options

Oh, you're back. Insulin resistance is still your favourite topic I see.
    ewuvagpsav87.png

Just my interpretation.
    Meal-to-meal and day-to-day don't matter for CO any more than they matter for weight. Look at the trends.

How do some foods make it harder or easier to eat at a deficit? Are you talking about caloric density and satiety or something else?

I was referring to satiety and factors like hormones (ex. insulin, cortisol, and IGF-1). Those hormones will have an effect, albeit not a huge one, on CO.

And it's not only CO but how yourbody is able to access energy.

For example, if you're storing more cals as fat (like with insulin resistance), you'll feel more fatigued. To battle the fatigue, you eat more and end up overeating. So even though you need the energy, your body isn't accessing it effectively and you either end up with people that are very fatigued or overeating. That's one of the reasons why it can be so difficult to lose/maintain with IR, especially if you have a lot of carbs in your diet. Similar issues can be seen with thyroid issues, but totally different mechanism.

The ability to metabolize foods effectively for energy is one of the variables I referenced earlier. I choose IR as an example in particular because (1) it's a metabolic condition and (2) it's incredibly widespread (at least in U.S. adults).

IR will not make you store "more" calories as fat, all things being the same unless you're eating more to begin with.

• lindsey1979
    Options

None of that meals CICO not a valid formula. Everything you mentioned factors into CO but just because we can't fully determine what the numbers really are doesn't mean it's now invalid.

I didn't say it was invalid, but had limitations as far as applying it to the human body (especially for weight loss). Difficulty or impossibility in practical application is a pretty big limitation when you're talking about weight loss or other similar things.
    You don't have to be accurate down to the kilocalorie for it to be practical.

True, which is why I think it's a great starting guideline. But you've got to be aware of its limitations. If you're accurately tracking your intake (and this is probably the most common error) and not seeing results as would be expected by a basic CICO calculation, then it's probably time to look beyond the simple CICO guidelines to other contributory factors -- which may result in adjusting macros, looking for vitamin deficiencies, other conditions like air, thyroid, etc.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    3500 is a rule of thumb, not a law of nature. http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/111114p36.shtml

The 3500 calories is a measured value of energy content in a lb. of body fat.
    The Law of Conservation of Energy (First Law of Thermodynamics) is a law of nature.
    Application of the Law of Conservation of Energy to the body is theory called CICO.

Also, not all weight that is lost is fat. Other tissues and substances having weight might also change. And these do not have the same caloric energy value (3500 kcals/lb) as body fat.

See generally, http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/3500-calorie-rule.html/
    A pound of fat -- triglycerides -- has about 4000 kcal per pound of energy. 9000 kcal per Kg.

A pound of adipose tissue has about 3500 kcal. The difference is mostly water and protein.

As for the metabolic traffic of fats Vs carbs or proteins being substantially changed by what we eat during a fairly normal, months long diet, I am still waiting for a convincing research paper.

Tour De France riders respectfully excluded, normal people are fine with CICO and should ignore the pet hormone of the day fads except to moderate sugars intake (one or two ring sugars e.g glucose, fructose, sucrose.)

• lindsey1979
    Options

None of those things are even in the same ballpark as eating too much when it comes to not losing weight.

If you understood how IR or thyroid worked, they are absolutely linked. When you have issues that result in fatigue (whether ineffective metabolism like IR or thyroid), it's not an uncommon response for your body to compensate by increasing appetite to compensate. Then you get people who overeat because those mechanisms in their body are operating correctly. It's also the reason unexplained weight gain are clinical symptoms of both (in addition to many others).
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    @lindsey1979 'And then you have things like pesky hormones and how they can effect the equation -- which a lot of people don't want to admit exist because it can get soooo complicated at this point. Whether you're talking insulin, thyroid, HGH, grehlin, leptin, etc. -- it goes on and on and we really are only starting to scratch the surface of how this all works.'

Who is the we and starting to scratch the surface of what?

We as modern society are only starting to understand the various hormones and interactions involved with metabolism and weight issues. The research is in its infancy. Definitely good starts into leptin, grehlin, thyroid hormones, etc. but still a long way to go.

Oh, you're back. Insulin resistance is still your favourite topic I see.
    ewuvagpsav87.png

Just my interpretation.

And it's not only CO but how yourbody is able to access energy.

For example, if you're storing more cals as fat (like with insulin resistance), you'll feel more fatigued. To battle the fatigue, you eat more and end up overeating. So even though you need the energy, your body isn't accessing it effectively and you either end up with people that are very fatigued or overeating. That's one of the reasons why it can be so difficult to lose/maintain with IR, especially if you have a lot of carbs in your diet. Similar issues can be seen with thyroid issues, but totally different mechanism.

The ability to metabolize foods effectively for energy is one of the variables I referenced earlier. I choose IR as an example in particular because (1) it's a metabolic condition and (2) it's incredibly widespread (at least in U.S. adults).

Once again, all factors that go into the CO part of the equation. Just because it can be difficult to figure out does not make it invalid.

Where exactly are people having trouble seeing the differences? Everyone agrees that metabolic disorders through another variable in the equation, you also agree to that. Everyone has been saying that regardless CICO still applies, you agreed to that as well. Where's the problem? Why the need to keep emphasizing metabolic disorders? What exactly are you looking for people acknowledge.

There seem to be two things that go on here. (1) theoretical discussions about the validity of CICO and (2) how CICO applies to weight loss. Folks like yourself tend to get stuck on the ivory tower principle of CICO -- I personally don't think anyone cares about on a weightliss website.

Confusion comes I when you try to equate the two as synonymous. When you're talking practical application to human body for weight loss/maintenance, there are other factors to consider -- some of which may be considerable depending on the individual circumstances. But many seem overwhelmed by that and want everything to be simple -- so they go back to oversimplified application of CICO which can lead to erroneous results.

Then these debates arise about the validity or not of CICO. And it's not really about that AT ALL. Just that there are limitations to simplifying CICO in that context and why people should look at the oversimplification as an absolute.

• lindsey1979
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

There is nothing limiting applying the CICO to biological systems, other than expecting an unrealistic accuracy of outcome. Regardless of the number of metabolic pathways all living organisms follow the same pathways.

Of course hormones have impact, but not nearly to the degree you're suggesting. If you have objective evidence to the contrary please provide the source.

There is a great deal of evidence that insulin resistance is caused by obesity, the primary driver of which is eating more than your body needs. Insulin resistance is common in western society because obesity is common in western society. A comparison population study to the World shows no evidence to the nature of diet, but simply eating more that ones body needs to function.

CICO still applies regardless of disorders, only new variables are being introduced.

This simply isn't wholly accurate. There is some belief that obesity may be a cause for SOME. But not all obese people have IR. And some people who have IR are not obese at all (some folks with thyroid issues, PCOS, etc.). Losing weight often improves IR, but not always.

• stevencloser
    Options

If you understood how IR or thyroid worked, they are absolutely linked. When you have issues that result in fatigue (whether ineffective metabolism like IR or thyroid), it's not an uncommon response for your body to compensate by increasing appetite to compensate. Then you get people who overeat because those mechanisms in their body are operating correctly. It's also the reason unexplained weight gain are clinical symptoms of both (in addition to many others).

That's an issue of eating more despite knowing you shouldn't. And to my knowledge, if you're on medication, at least for thyroid, there's barely a difference to a healthy person, metabolism wise.

You don't have to be accurate down to the kilocalorie for it to be practical.

True, which is why I think it's a great starting guideline. But you've got to be aware of its limitations. If you're accurately tracking your intake (and this is probably the most common error) and not seeing results as would be expected by a basic CICO calculation, then it's probably time to look beyond the simple CICO guidelines to other contributory factors -- which may result in adjusting macros, looking for vitamin deficiencies, other conditions like air, thyroid, etc.

The numbers you're getting in calculators are averages even for healthy individuals. As I said, on average you're going to be very close to the number named as long as you properly filled everything out, but it could be off a bit if you're especially jittery or your exercises aren't burning as much as the modificator in the calculation says (or you're counting stuff that's just not exercise as exercise, we've had all kinds of things already on here) and so on.
    If you're not seeing results as expected even though you're honestly logging everything is when you adjust your intake or increase your expenditure. When that would mean an intake that's way off (like multiple hundreds below what it should be) the expected numbers is when you should go to your doctor to check if there's something else.

I know many people have IR or something else, but looking at the threads popping up on MFP with people asking why they haven't lost enough as a an example of the average dieter, the vast majority of those are easily found out to be overestimating what was burned by exercise or inaccurate logging. A few others just have a distorted expectation of how fast they should lose (someone who was expecting to lose 30+ pounds in less than a month comes to mind), and the small percentage that is left where you can't tell at first or second glance what the problem is may have a condition they don't know about that is making it harder on them.
    Someone made a really nice flowchart on what to look for when weightloss isn't happening even though you think it should. Maybe someone could post it, I don't have it on hand.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

This simply isn't wholly accurate. There is some belief that obesity may be a cause for SOME. But not all obese people have IR. And some people who have IR are not obese at all (some folks with thyroid issues, PCOS, etc.). Losing weight often improves IR, but not always.

Smoking and lung cancer. We're pretty sure smoking is a major contributor to lung cancer. Even if not everyone with lung cancer smokes and not every smoker gets lung cancer.
    In the same way we know that if you're overweight/obese, there's a very significantly increased risk of all sorts of health problems.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So to clarify on original point, CICO always applies and where those calories come from is irrelevant unless you have a pre-existing medical conditional, like insulin resistance or a thyroid problem. All that aside, in a normal person with no discernible medical problems, a calorie is a calorie, whether it comes from fat, salt, carbs, protein, whatever.

Well, it a calorie always calorie, whether or not you have a medical condition. The caveat with medical conditions, including insulin resistance, hypothyroidism, and diabetes, is that they need to find their "sweet spot," if you will for CICO for weight management, as well as watch their carb intake because their bodies do not properly metabolize them.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I argue that dietary compliance trumps everything when it comes to long term weight management.

Agreed. For some people, compliance is supported by often choosing foods and ratios etc. that promote satiety.

Yup. And those ratios vary for different people. I've seen people say they are sated best with low carb, high protein. I've seen people say they are sated best with low carb, high fat. I've seen people say they are sated best with high carb, low fat. I'm sated best with moderate carb, fat, and protein.

I don't think there's any ONE way that's best and this is probably the only area where I'd go for putting forth that silly "we're all different" argument. Macro balance satisfaction will vary by individual. What ultimately matters is what will work for any given individual for a long term dietary solution.

A separate, but I think also important, issue, is that of types of food to include in the diet for long-term compliance.

But that's a subject for another post ;)

QFT.