How do I log foods/fruits like Eggs/Banana?

2»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    From what I'm reading here, if I eat watermelon I should weigh the slice, spit my seeds in a cup, weigh the seeds and rind, then subtract that from the original weight? Sounds a bit obsessive to me.

If you want to spend calories on watermelon rind go for it. I'd rather spend them on the parts I eat. I've not seen a watermelon with seeds in ages but I'd probably not worry about weighing them unless I had quite a pile. Odds are I'd actually just swallow the seeds if there weren't many.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    From what I'm reading here, if I eat watermelon I should weigh the slice, spit my seeds in a cup, weigh the seeds and rind, then subtract that from the original weight? Sounds a bit obsessive to me.

If you want to spend calories on watermelon rind go for it. I'd rather spend them on the parts I eat. I've not seen a watermelon with seeds in ages but I'd probably not worry about weighing them unless I had quite a pile. Odds are I'd actually just swallow the seeds if there weren't many.

I think you misread my post, I don't eat the rind. The rind is immaterial in any case. My point was that worrying about the weight of the seeds is about as obsessive as worrying about the weight of the egg shell.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member

I think you misread my post, I don't eat the rind. The rind is immaterial in any case. My point was that worrying about the weight of the seeds is about as obsessive as worrying about the weight of the egg shell.

While you don't eat it, by logging the water melon with rind weight your taking calories away from your day that could have been used elsewhere. That's what I believe @jemhh was referring to.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member

While you don't eat it, by logging the water melon with rind weight your taking calories away from your day that could have been used elsewhere. That's what I believe @jemhh was referring to.

"From what I'm reading here, if I eat watermelon I should weigh the slice, spit my seeds in a cup, weigh the seeds and rind, then subtract that from the original weight? Sounds a bit obsessive to me."
  • qubetha
    qubetha Posts: 83 Member
    I weigh foods with peels and shells on and that means I slightly overestimate my calorie intake. The only time I weigh after peeling is if the peel is extremely thick and makes up more than 1/3 the total weight. For all foods, when in doubt, I add a few grams when entering in my diary so that I can be 100% positive I am not underestimating how much I am eating.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    I get my eggs from a farm and they vary a lot in size. Two eggs could be 90 g or they could be 120 g. I tend to mix and match smaller and larger ones so they generally end up around 100-110, but in that I make an omelet with them it's easier to just weigh them in a bowl before mixing than estimating.

For fruit, I weigh what I eat if I'm home, weigh the whole and deduct a reasonable amount if I'm not, or simply estimate based on size if I never have an opportunity to weigh. I'm not neurotic about weighing, but it's simply easier to use the scale if it's possible and you are logging anyway.

I prefer trying to get the more accurate number vs. an overestimated number. If I'm not losing on my calories I can just reduce them, after all.