Am I ready to bulk?

Options
Start with some stats.
Male
28 years old
171lbs
6'1"

I started my weight loss journey last June at 250lbs and I've been maintaining ~170lbs since May of this year with 2500 cals/day+eating excersize calories back. I would like to add some muscle mass to my frame. I lost the weight doing cardio(running and boot camp classes) and eating a calorie deficit. Since May I started doing SL5x5. I've reset on SL as I had to take about 3 weeks off and want to dedicate myself back to it. I do not know what my BF% is, I did check it on one of those impedance scales(commercial grade one) and it was ~10% but I've read they are not very accurate. Here is what I was thinking for a bulk.

Increase calories to 2900/day+eating excersize calories
Minimum 170G of protein/day
Minimum 90G of fat/day
Rest of calories from Carbs
Continue with SL5x5

How long will I want to take this? I plan on doing some measurments(thigh, chest, bicep, waist) to track progress. Is it a problem if I end up over on protein and fat for the day? I tend to have no problem consuming the required protein and fat as they are the foods I enjoy more. or do I really not want to go much over those numbers?

Replies

• coryrood
    coryrood Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Also I LOVE cycling, to build muscle I've read conflicting opinions on if I have to give this up, I don't push hard when I ride(HR stays around 140BPM) Or should I wait until the end of cycling season to start a bulk?
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    No one can really tell you if you should "bulk" or "cut" you need to decide if you like what you look like in the mirror while doing both. Experiment with both, you'll find the niche you like.

Recommendations:

I'd wait until you get a good foundation of muscle to decrease/increase your caloric intake.

Many people fail at a cut, they drop the weight too fast, killing all the hard work they earned. Be patient!

If it was easy everyone would do it! I for one find I gain the same amount of muscle on a low caloric increase than I do gaining 20 pounds then having to cut it, plus it's a pain and can mess up the metabolic rate, aka metabolism.

Not everyone is the same, what works for some might not work for you.

You will lose some muscle in a cut, and gain some fat in a bulk.

Just be comfortable with yourself, remember this whole fitness thing is more about dedication than anything.

Good luck~
  • coryrood
    Options
    I'm not looking for some to tell me if a bulk is right for me. I'm asking if it seems I'm ready to do one or if I should wait. I've already decided I'll be doing one. Just want to know if my body is ready for it.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    coryrood wrote: »
    I'm not looking for some to tell me if a bulk is right for me. I'm asking if it seems I'm ready to do one or if I should wait. I've already decided I'll be doing one. Just want to know if my body is ready for it.

The only way you'd know is if you tried it.

Either bulk, or don't bulk.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Generally BF% is what is used to judge whether one's body is physically prepared for a bulk...sub 15% is generally recommended. I know you said you don't know yours...if you're comfortable posting pics, the members here can give you an estimate.

The other thing I'd point out is there's a difference between being physically prepared, and mentally prepared. Especially after coming off a long, successful weight loss (80 lbs by the way is awesome...congrats!!) changing your mentality that it's OK to eat above your TDEE and it's OK if you gain weight can be more difficult than it sounds. And only you can really judge whether mentally you're ready.
  • JoshLibby
    Options

Without pictures (even though it's still opinion) it's hard to tell if you should, but it seems you want to, so I would say go for it. Just be realistic with goals.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Generally BF% is what is used to judge whether one's body is physically prepared for a bulk...sub 15% is generally recommended. I know you said you don't know yours...if you're comfortable posting pics, the members here can give you an estimate.

The other thing I'd point out is there's a difference between being physically prepared, and mentally prepared. Especially after coming off a long, successful weight loss (80 lbs by the way is awesome...congrats!!) changing your mentality that it's OK to eat above your TDEE and it's OK if you gain weight can be more difficult than it sounds. And only you can really judge whether mentally you're ready.

Pictures would be helpful, but based on the poster's description of his weight loss and exercise history, I would be surprised if less the 15% BF.
  • coryrood
    Options
    I understand how hard it is to add calories, it was war to transition to maintain.

I've got not problem posting pictures, let me know if you need something else.

Any input on if I should wait until the end of cycling season?a14y8l1hpjud.jpg

0vbrellkfh7c.jpg
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    From your post, it sounds like you started lifting 4 months ago and took at least 3 weeks off in there. I would suggest getting a better base. Lift on a regular basis for about 6 months eat at at maintenance plus maybe 300 calories extra on days you lift.

Assess your progress at 6 months then consider starting a bulk.
  • coryrood
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    From your post, it sounds like you started lifting 4 months ago and took at least 3 weeks off in there. I would suggest getting a better base. Lift on a regular basis for about 6 months eat at at maintenance plus maybe 300 calories extra on days you lift.

Assess your progress at 6 months then consider starting a bulk.

Thanks for the input. I just feel like I've stopped Making gains which made me think of doing a bulk.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You look like a twig dude..I'm not huge by no means but I'm 5'9 160 lbs...but I honestly would suggest getting your diet in check and lifting consistently..once you get consistency down, bulk..
  • coryrood
    Options
    My diet is in check. I realize I'm a twig. Hence why I'm considering trying to put weight on. I have been consistent with the lifting up until about 5 weeks ago when I had some major 8n expected life issues happen. Hence the 3 week break. I'm now back in my routine.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you could get to 180 and look pretty good. 170 is definitely pretty light at your height
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why don't you eat in maintenance for a few months and get a good run on a program. Also, have you considered doing ICF or another program with more volume to add some hypertrophy work, especially in a bulk?
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    My diet is in check. I realize I'm a twig. Hence why I'm considering trying to put weight on. I have been consistent with the lifting up until about 5 weeks ago when I had some major 8n expected life issues happen. Hence the 3 week break. I'm now back in my routine.

From your post you went from 250 to 170 in about a year. That is a great job. Part of my reasoning to wait 6 months before trying to bulk is to ensure your diet is good, i.e, develop a habit and you've developed a good habit of lifting. IMO, you will be better off in the long run if you let your body stabilize a bit.

Also as you work on build the good habits, you may want to get an evaluation from a trainer or PT that does the Functional Movement Screen. Maybe it's just the pictures but your posture doesn't look the best and you look a bit knock kneed. If you have posture or mobility issues you can work on them over the next 6 months.
  • coryrood
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

From your post you went from 250 to 170 in about a year. That is a great job. Part of my reasoning to wait 6 months before trying to bulk is to ensure your diet is good, i.e, develop a habit and you've developed a good habit of lifting. IMO, you will be better off in the long run if you let your body stabilize a bit.

Also as you work on build the good habits, you may want to get an evaluation from a trainer or PT that does the Functional Movement Screen. Maybe it's just the pictures but your posture doesn't look the best and you look a bit knock kneed. If you have posture or mobility issues you can work on them over the next 6 months.

Sounds good. I'll keep running strong lifts at maintenence then. I was just thinking about it because prior to my 3 week break I seemed stuck.

I wish we had trainers around here that could do something like that. But I lost alot of hope for a good trainer when the one at the gym told me NOT to break parallel on my squats.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Take a look at this FMS self assessment video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8G6jkEf1uI

The trainer may have seen something in your movement patterns where he waned you to limit squat depth. Doubt it though, if that was the case you would think he would have said that. This article tells about correcting inability to squat deep.
    http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/4-reasons-youre-not-getting-deep-enough-in-your-squats
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Bulk. Bulk. Bulk. Go 500 calories over TDEE. Your body is ready to add muscle vey quickly.
  • JoshLibby
    Options
    Yeah, you're ready to increase calories for sure, but make sure you start lifting hardcore, or you'll just end up getting skinny fat.
  • caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Judging from your appearance, I'd say a consistent lifting program and maintenance calories would be a good start. You don't have much muscle, but that's not suprising considering how you lost weight. Considering you're male and blessed with testosterone start lifting regularly and you'll start seeing big changes, especially in the first 12 weeks. Might not need to focus on 'bulking' so much.. or maybe you will in 6 months or so.. but I feel if you're not already lifting regularly and consistently then that's probably the best place to start. Good luck!