Am I ready to bulk?

Options
2»

Replies

• coryrood
    coryrood Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    To be clear. I followed the sl 5x5 program to the t from may(when i started maint.) to early august.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    coryrood wrote: »
    To be clear. I followed the sl 5x5 program to the t from may(when i started maint.) to early august.

Is that your only lifting experience? If so, I would say get at least 6 more months of solid lifting experience before trying to bulk.
  • coryrood
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Is that your only lifting experience? If so, I would say get at least 6 more months of solid lifting experience before trying to bulk.
    Yes it is. Why do you suggest this? I seem to have stalled with progression.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Yeah bulk. Just eat 250-500 cals over your TDEE to avoid to much excessive fat gain and lift heavy focusing on Compound movements and any isolation exercises you enjoy. I've been slowly bulking for nearly two years (3000 cals a day) and have liked the results and enjoyed eating. Whenever I do decide to cut, I will do this very slowly too whilst continuing to lift heavy.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

I would think that with 3 months total lifting experience in you life. As others have said you do not have a good foundation of muscle and a BF in the 10-15% range. Looking at the pictures I don't think you are there.

You say your progress is stalled. What does that mean? I doubt a raw noobie, eating at least maintenance, would stall after 3 months.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    You'll look like a cancer patient if you try to trim the rest of the belly fat before bulking. You're stalling cuz you can't add muscle unless you're eating at a surplus. Bulk till April at .75-1 lb gain / week. Waiting 3,6 whatever amount of months, will be time wasted.
  • coryrood
    Options

I would think that with 3 months total lifting experience in you life. As others have said you do not have a good foundation of muscle and a BF in the 10-15% range. Looking at the pictures I don't think you are there.

You say your progress is stalled. What does that mean? I doubt a raw noobie, eating at least maintenance, would stall after 3 months.

I mean that I've been unable to add weight. I deload. And have made it back to where I stalled and am unable to add weight.

• Packerjohn
    Options
    You'll look like a cancer patient if you try to trim the rest of the belly fat before bulking. You're stalling cuz you can't add muscle unless you're eating at a surplus. Bulk till April at .75-1 lb gain / week. Waiting 3,6 whatever amount of months, will be time wasted.

I guess I'm thinking he's still at 20% or so bodyfat. Most of what I read says should be not more that 15% at most to bulk. I'd think more of a recomp until he lowers the BF %.

I mean that I've been unable to add weight. I deload. And have made it back to where I stalled and am unable to add weight.

You mentioned your doing Stronlifts 5x5. What kind of weight are you using?
  • coryrood
    Options
    I'm using barbell. My squat is @ 150. Dead were 185. BP is 100. Ohp is 70 (I got stuck on this right away) row is 95. Are those impedance BF scales that inaccurate that it would say I'm @ 11% when I'm actually @ 20%?
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    I'm using barbell. My squat is @ 150. Dead were 185. BP is 100. Ohp is 70 (I got stuck on this right away) row is 95. Are those impedance BF scales that inaccurate that it would say I'm @ 11% when I'm actually @ 20%?

They scales can be off quite a bit.

Take a look at this article.
    http://rippedbody.jp/12-weeks-on-leangains-what-you-can-expect-to-achieve/

Based on your description, I would say you match up with type 3, skinny fat. The article recommends more of a recomp approach for someone in your situation.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

It doesn't matter what his exact BF% is. From the pic you can tell he needs to add muscle and he's got low enough body fat where it'll be very beneficial to bulk. Once you've done a legit bulk and have a good baseline of muscle, then follow the 10-15% bulk/cut repeat protocol.

• Packerjohn
    Options

It doesn't matter what his exact BF% is. From the pic you can tell he needs to add muscle and he's got low enough body fat where it'll be very beneficial to bulk. Once you've done a legit bulk and have a good baseline of muscle, then follow the 10-15% bulk/cut repeat protocol.

Agree he needs to add muscle. He's only reached his maintenance weight and started lifting 3-4 months ago (and is fairly weak). IMO, he would be better off doing more of a recomp for 6 months or so, eating enough to cover the calories burned lifting to get the eating and exercise habits ingrained before doing a full blown bulk.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

^^^ This ^^^^

OP - I was YOU about 2 years ago! Same weight but 2 inches shorter. Now is the best time to decide on a goal and stick to it! Regardless if you want to build muscle primarly/build strength primarly/or mix the two you need to start eating!

I made some pretty awesome strength and muscle gains using a 5x5 program. You can do the same with any good program that has 'progressive overload' incorporated into it. Here are a few links of programs I've successfully used....

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

https://content.tigerfitness.com/juggernaut-fitness-linear-hypertrophy-program/ (most time effecient)

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Slow bulk for two-three years adding between 20-30lbs of muscle (with newbie gains). In that time you might add about 15lbs of fat which will still look fine because of the muscle gains (You will be looking noticeably different/better after a year). Then go on a 12-16 week cut and looked ripped. Enjoy.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Slow bulk for two-three years adding between 20-30lbs of muscle (with newbie gains). In that time you might add about 15lbs of fat which will still look fine because of the muscle gains (You will be looking noticeably different/better after a year). Then go on a 12-16 week cut and looked ripped. Enjoy.

If I'm reading this right you're saying 35-45 pound total gain over 2-3 years which would be a bit over a pound a month? I could go with this as opposed to someone that was suggesting a pound a week.
  • coryrood
    Options
    I think I'm going to up my calories to 2750 for the next two weeks and retake my measurements and reevaluate
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    I think I'm going to up my calories to 2750 for the next two weeks and retake my measurements and reevaluate

Sounds reasonable Best of luck.