"They" say

Options
13»

Replies

• lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have to lose a lot more to go down a size because my thighs are huge. Always have been. My waist is a size 11 my thighs are a size 15.
  • AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I went from 175 to 155 and stayed in 12's but lost my muffin top. Really hoping going from my current 168 to my desired 140 will get me into the single digits I dream of.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It varies. It also varies by how heavy you are. I've lost 90 pounds and went from size a 28 to a size 16/18, but when I was heavier each size needed more pounds and as I got thinner it took less to change sizes. I'm still losing and it's taking less and less each time.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    well let's check the wayback machine...

At 240 lbs, i wore a 22 bottom and 24 top. At 140 I wore a small top and 6/8 bottom. So, 100 lbs, but only 8-9 sizes.

When I regained, at 170 I was 2 sizes larger. So basically for me it averages out to more like 12-13 lbs = 1 size
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I have to lose a lot more to go down a size because my thighs are huge. Always have been. My waist is a size 11 my thighs are a size 15.

i feel your pain....... LOLOL
  • julieb47
    julieb47 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Carnhot wrote: »
    UK sizes are 2 below US sizes, so a UK 10 is a US 14. We don't have odd numbered sizes either.

isn't it the other way round? A UK size 14 is a US size 12
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and in college was about 125 pounds. I had a favorite pair of jeans size 6 that I loved and it was the one pair that I held onto through 2 pregnancies and weight loss journeys. This go around, I weigh 118 pounds and most pants are a size 4. I recently unearthed those favorite jeans and tried them on. They were tight! I have this feeling that clothing manufacturers have slowly changed sizing parameters to accommodate more weight while keeping the size number the same.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I am on the shorter side of things and carry much of my remaining weight in my middle. SW of 237. I didn't see a change in pant/skirt size until a loss over 20 pounds and no change in top size until a loss over 25 pounds. The next size drop was closer to the 10 pound average. Having lost over 47 pounds now, I am very confused about what size I am currently. Anything from a US size 16 to 20.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    starling01 wrote: »
    There are some striking differences in clothing size for the same weight. Even if I get down to my goal weight of 120, I doubt I'll wear anything smaller than a 10 and that's going to be a squeeze. Differences in body proportions are so interesting.

And brands too. For me I compared with the same brand (Lee, because it's cheap, lol!). I'm a 6. But for Old Navy I fit great in S (sometimes XS for tops), but I think size 4 or even 2 pants would work too. But Levi's? Probably size 8 (but I *need* high rise jeans because of my shape and they didn't have any last time I checked).

Bottom line, I never buy clothes online anymore unless it's a brand I am familiar with.

The last time I bought jeans at Old Navy the lady in the dressing room told me to grab several pairs of the same size. She said that even if they are the same size and same cut one they still may not fit the same.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    starling01 wrote: »
    There are some striking differences in clothing size for the same weight. Even if I get down to my goal weight of 120, I doubt I'll wear anything smaller than a 10 and that's going to be a squeeze. Differences in body proportions are so interesting.

And brands too. For me I compared with the same brand (Lee, because it's cheap, lol!). I'm a 6. But for Old Navy I fit great in S (sometimes XS for tops), but I think size 4 or even 2 pants would work too. But Levi's? Probably size 8 (but I *need* high rise jeans because of my shape and they didn't have any last time I checked).

Bottom line, I never buy clothes online anymore unless it's a brand I am familiar with.

Heck, I have slightly different styled capris from the same brand that are supposedly the same size but are actually a size apart >.<

• mimimunchery
    mimimunchery Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    oldbod wrote: »
    Carnhot wrote: »
    UK sizes are 2 below US sizes, so a UK 10 is a US 14. We don't have odd numbered sizes either.
    Thank you, I just can't work out how a 180 person can fit into a size 10. I can only think TakingBackForever must be very well toned.

It's the other way around - a U.S. Size 6 = UK size 10.

And a U.S. 14 = UK 18