Dairy? Yes or No

Options
i am hearing lots of things lately about dairy and how our body's don't need it.. Linking it to cancer? If so, why do pediatrician still recommend that kids drink milk when they can get more calcium from almond milk?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cow milk has much more protein than almond milk does.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Decades of use of cow's milk vs very limited experience of milk substitutes ?
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Everything is bad/good for you. I have dairy every day. Not gallons of it, but I probably have yogurt or cream in my coffee or ounce or two of cheese or cottage cheese .. not all at once, probably 1 to 3 servings a day.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk over cow's milk, but it's because I like the taste better and it more easily fits into my macros (I only need to take insulin for 2g of net carbs instead of 13g for 1% milk). Otherwise, I love dairy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    PETA campaigns against milk use for ethical reasons.

The very best food for infants (all mammals) is milk.

Nearly all the milk substitutes except for baby formula are short on protein, even if the calcium is the same.

Some adults lose the ability to break down the milk sugar, lactase.

Cancer risk???? Cite please.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Pediatricians recommend it because 1. Its highly nutritious, in that it contains a wonderful balance of protein, fat and carbohydrates along with a variety of vitamins and minerals, and 2. There is no reliable consistent evidence linking it with cancer. There are isolated studies here and there that have suggested there may be a link, and there are more studies showing the opposite. This is pretty normal in terms of medical research. The consensus is that milk is a wonderful healthy drink that's really good for small growing bodies - and whole milk is universally recommended for toddlers, not low-fat. Any source that you read saying otherwise should be questioned in a seriously skeptical manner. Neither milk itself nor rBST (which is rarely found in the milk supply anyway) should be a source of concern).
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Nothing could stop me eating cottage cheese lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    stop reading a bunch of woo.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Here in Wisconsin we have a minimum legal intake of dairy per day. ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Dairy ISN'T needed in the diet............that's true. But I'll be damned if I give up yogurt, cheese and ICE CREAM. As for cancer.............you can get it from sunlight, a cell phone, breathing in smog, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bekko57
    bekko57 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do not have any sources and am no means against dairy. My kids consume tons of milk. Some of my fitness friends have been telling me this as well as my chiropractor but I am yet to see or read an article where they are getting their info so I thought this would be the best place to ask. I appreciate all the POLITE responses.. Just a mom making sure I am doing the right thing for my children.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I have three kids, my Dr says milk for the reasons another post mentioned. Fat, protein, calcium. When my third kid refused to drink milk, I was worried until he told me as long as she is getting those from other sources she is fine. Primarily fat since little kids brain development requires fat in their diet.
  • bekko57
    Options
    Jgnatca, yes I agree that milk is the very best food for infants (all mammals)... But mammals drink their mother's milk not cow's milk. We are the only mammal (and I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong) that drinks another animal's milk.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I do eat dairy, but the milk comes from small family farms where the cows are well treated.

Is your milk and cheese the product of blatant animal cruelty?

Every time Mercy For Animals’ undercover investigators go behind the closed doors of dairy factory farms they document widespread acts of animal abuse that shock and horrify most people. Multiple investigations at dairy factory farms across the country have exposed sickening cruelty to animals, including workers viciously beating, stabbing, and dragging sick and injured cows. These investigations have uncovered:

Read more: http://www.gotmisery.com
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    bekko57 wrote: »
    I do not have any sources and am no means against dairy. My kids consume tons of milk. Some of my fitness friends have been telling me this as well as my chiropractor but I am yet to see or read an article where they are getting their info so I thought this would be the best place to ask. I appreciate all the POLITE responses.. Just a mom making sure I am doing the right thing for my children.

I'm glad you decided to ask and not just take someone's word for it.

Although there certainly are exceptions, "fitness friends" and "chiropractors" are honestly two of the last groups of people I would ever get dietary/nutrition advice from. In my experience there is a disproportionately high percentage of woo and fad diet promoters among those groups.

As many have said, unless you're lactose intolerant or have another medical issue that dairy may not be compatible with, there's no legitimate reason to give it up. That said, like all foods, moderation is best...
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing a lot about how milk is not good for you/possibly bad. What I'm mostly trusting, however, are seemingly well-researched videos, like this one from a medical researcher who includes sources at the bottom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzyFZcuHmeI

And this one, also based in research:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlaHsmJdwWw

It honestly stresses me out because I consume a lot of dairy :/ It's something I'm planning on working on, once I have a better handle on other nutritional issues.
  • bekko57
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    I've been hearing a lot about how milk is not good for you/possibly bad. What I'm mostly trusting, however, are seemingly well-researched videos, like this one from a medical researcher who includes sources at the bottom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzyFZcuHmeI

And this one, also based in research:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlaHsmJdwWw

It honestly stresses me out because I consume a lot of dairy :/ It's something I'm planning on working on, once I have a better handle on other nutritional issues.

Thank you! This is the research I was looking for. I should have mentioned that my Pediatric Gastrointestinal Doctor also recommend eliminating milk after age 2.