Logging stuff that probably doesn't matter but might to some.

Options
Ultimately, I know it's about what you average over the course of a week or more, but I'm curious what others might do in these 2 similar scenarios.

1)Let's say you log 3 pieces of pizza for dinner on a Tuesday night. You end up eating 2 pieces of pizza, but you don't remove the 3rd from your diary (putting you under your target for the day by the amount of calories in that slice).

If you have that slice for first thing in the morning for breakfast on Wednesday, do you just consider it a "free" food that was paid for already on Tuesday? Let's say you aren't typically a breakfast eater, and those extra morning pizza calories make it harder to avoid going over on Wednesday, and you don't like red numbers.

Or do you edit Tuesday's log and then add your slice to Wednesday and adjust the rest of Wednesday's consumption to avoid going over your daily target because you don't like red numbers, and you want to be accurate, and you figure it's bonus deficit calories?

Or do you edit Tuesday and add it to Wednesday for the sake of accuracy and then potentially go over your target on Wednesday knowing that it all averages out and red is just a color, and you are too cool to worry about it?

Or would this never happen because there's no way you would have leftover pizza and calories? ;)

2) You wake up in the middle of the night craving something sweet. You eat a banana. You had enough calories leftover before bed to cover that banana.

Do you track it as part of the day before bed? Or are you strict about your days ending at a certain time?

Replies

• eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    in the first scenario, I would change Tuesday and Wednesday to reflect what was actually eaten on those days. In the 2nd scenario, I would probably add it to the day that had just passed -- unless it was closer to morning. My days generally end when I go to bed (or at about 9:00 pm) as I only get up to use the bathroom and go right back to sleep.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I put foods on the correct days. If I added something to my dairy and never ate it, I remove that item. I do this even if I have to back the next day and change it. This way I can keep track of my trends better.

I would never get up to eat. I'm too heavy of a sleeper.

My days are from midnight to midnight.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I don't usually change the original entry and keep it as "free" food for the next day ....or, if I end up not eating it at all, I just absorb those calories in my diary for the times I may underlog unintentionally.
    My body doesn't know about the 24 hour clock so eating that third piece of pizza in the morning makes no difference to my body.

If I were to eat in the middle of the night, I'd log it as yesterday's calories. Bottom line, I want to eat all my calories and if I add the banana to today's amount, I'll end up not eating those "extra" calories from yesterday. That's not a big deal if I didn't wake up hungry enough to want a banana but since I was that hungry, I obviously did not eat enough that day and those calories belong to yesterday.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    1) I'd log it on the day I ate it, but would allow my self to go over my calorie goal by the amount of calories I was under the previous day. I wouldn't necessarily plan to go over, but if I ran out of calories and was still hungry I would eat something that would fit within those calories left from the previous day. At the end of the week it should balance out.

2) Again, I'd log it the day I ate it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would log things on the right day. I look for my average to be on point. One day over or under is fine as long as my average is in line.

I've never gotten up and eaten in the middle of the night. If I ever do, I'll log it based on the time. 12 a.m. is a new day.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If I didn't:
    1. remove the item (pizza) before closing out for the day--I'd eat it "free" the next day
    2. log the item (banana) before closing the diary, I'd just log it as part of breakfast the next day
    Try not to over complicate things. As long as its logged somewhere close to the time frame you ate it in, and before you start the next week, its probably fine. Everything is an estimate any way.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am a m I ddle of the night eater. I get up like 3 nights a week and eat something. If i have the calories left over from the day before i log it then, if i don't i log it the next day.

But in the pizza scenario once it is daylight i am on that day.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I log it on the day I eat it. I don't eat in the middle of the night. That's part of the lifestyle change I've needed to make.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    1) I go in and edit stuff and log it on the day that I eat it, but I probably wouldn't worry too much about one slice of pizza getting carried over occasionally.

2) I do sometimes wake up and eat fruit in the middle of the night. I log it as the previous day's food. My new day doesn't start until the sun comes up. Unless I was out of calories on the previous day. Then it gets logged as part of the new day.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'd log the 2 slices on Tuesday and 1 slice on Wednesday, logging on the day I eat it.

The banana I would log on the day I ate it, such as on Monday even if I ate it on Sunday "night" during sleep. I don't wake up to eat, so a best guess of what I'd do.
  • MaggotPig
    MaggotPig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'd eat the entire pizza, thus eliminating the dilemma in its entirety.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter overall for me as I go by weekly calories, but yeah, I log things the day I eat them.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    MaggotPig wrote: »

This works as well!
  • MaggotPig
    MaggotPig Posts: 89 Member
    Options

This works as well!

Possibly the reason that I got to over 350lbs though?!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

SNORT!
    Me too!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, I know it's about what you average over the course of a week or more, but I'm curious what others might do in these 2 similar scenarios.

1)Let's say you log 3 pieces of pizza for dinner on a Tuesday night. You end up eating 2 pieces of pizza, but you don't remove the 3rd from your diary (putting you under your target for the day by the amount of calories in that slice).

If you have that slice for first thing in the morning for breakfast on Wednesday, do you just consider it a "free" food that was paid for already on Tuesday? Let's say you aren't typically a breakfast eater, and those extra morning pizza calories make it harder to avoid going over on Wednesday, and you don't like red numbers.

Or do you edit Tuesday's log and then add your slice to Wednesday and adjust the rest of Wednesday's consumption to avoid going over your daily target because you don't like red numbers, and you want to be accurate, and you figure it's bonus deficit calories?

Or do you edit Tuesday and add it to Wednesday for the sake of accuracy and then potentially go over your target on Wednesday knowing that it all averages out and red is just a color, and you are too cool to worry about it?

Or would this never happen because there's no way you would have leftover pizza and calories? ;)

2) You wake up in the middle of the night craving something sweet. You eat a banana. You had enough calories leftover before bed to cover that banana.

Do you track it as part of the day before bed? Or are you strict about your days ending at a certain time?

1. On Tuesday night I would change my food diary entry to 2 pieces of pizza instead of 3. On Wednesday morning I would log my breakfast pizza slice as I prelogged my entire day. I would not go over my calories because the pizza is part of the plan. Not sure why it has to be complicated.
    2. I would log it on the next day if the banana eating came midnight. I don't wake up and eat like that though and don't think it makes much difference what day as long as you log it.