3 meals vs 6 meals a day, what's your experience/opinion?

Options
1235»

Replies

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I've done both. I'm less hungry when I eat more often, but my main meals end up being smaller. Sometimes, that's just a pain for a family dinner. I like being able to have that extra 100-150 calories in my meal. Today for example I didn't bring snacks(mostly due to the need to grocery shop) and I'm hungry now and ate 2 pieces of chocolate that I normally wouldn't have if I had a snack planned. It's nice knowing that there is a planned snack coming I find that i have more self control. On the other hand, I enjoy getting to have a 500-600 calorie dinner when I skip snacks. I'm wishy washy on the subject, can you tell? Give the snacks+meals a try. You may find 4 or 5 meals is ideal. Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    LER67 wrote: »
    Found this topic searching for input and I think after reading every post my takeaway is, do what you prefer. The trainer I hired provided me with a meal plan of 5 meals and an after workout meal. For my schedule this is tough, also, the mid-morning meal is something that I would eat for lunch or dinner so I basically have to force it down.

She did say if I preferred I could combine the meals, so for breakfast I'll eat a breakfast meal and then the meal that I would normally eat for lunch or dinner?

Prior to getting the meal plan I was using MFP, logging my meals (using digital scale) eating three meals a day with two snacks like carrots, a juice, 1/2 protein bar etc. and I lost 21 lbs in 5 weeks. Was hoping this meal plan would kick it up a bit but its only created angst so I think it's back to after reading this thread I think it's back to three meals for me. Thanks to all for the info.
    Yes, do what works for you. :) Some people like to eat through out the day. Some do very well with one or two meals a day.

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    This is what works for me...

I generally work out in the late afternoon/evening. I'll consume about 40% of my calories pre-workout when I'm in my office or out and about during the day. I'll eat several (4-6) small meals/snacks ranging from 150-300 calories.

I consume the remaining calories post-workout when I get home in the evening. Usually it's 250 calories immediately post-workout, 600-800 calories for dinner and the remaining 500-800 calories for nighttime snacks.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Like it says in the title I want to know what peoples experiences are?

I'm currently 306lbs and have dropped from 355lbs by reducing my calories down to 1300 per day (breakfast around 200 calories, lunch around 200 calories, 2x snacks between 100-200 and then my evening meal which is whatever is left). this has worked so far, however I've just got a PT and she has advised I'm not eating enough calories, that I should be eating around 1500 and that I should have 6 meals a day.

I've read some mixed reviews, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it? does it work? how do you do it? what sort of things do you eat day to day?

Well, you're already at 5 "meals" a day. Close enough on that front in my opinion. If you want add the extra 200 calories as a a snack before bed. The most important thing is how well is your meal/snack timing managing your hunger? If it's really good I'd hesitate to mess with it. But if you're finding yourself more often hungry than not (esp after dinner), no harm messing with it!

As for 1300 vs 1500. How accurate is your logging? If you're not using a scale then 1300 ish is fine since it's a ball park number anyway (so you may have some buffer). If you are using a scale, you could try 1500. I assume that your exercise is about to become more intense now that you have a trainer so a little extra to eat might be needed.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories in the morning and afternoon. Mainly because I workout for 1.5 hours at 5am fasted and am hungry after. I think getting the right amount of protein, carbs and fat at each meal is more important than timing.