I'm struggling to exercise because I'm too heavy.

Options
Hi MFP community

I'm happy to say I have managed to keep off the alcohol for 2 whole weeks and I'm starting to see some small results already :-)

I am however struggling to exercise at my current weight. What can I do that won't kill me or take too long but has good results. I have thought about weights and swimming ?

Replies

• vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    weights, swimming and just walking
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Walking and swimming are very doable, and if you have access to an exercise bike or cross-trainer they are good to. Weights also good for strength and at least maintaining lean body mass.

Take it easy, start of slow..as your fitness improves increase your intensity or speed. It doesn't hurt to get a little out of breath or work up a sweat...but at about 200lb unless you have medical issues you should be fine.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you were 201 lbs. starting weight? I was 226 lbs when I started. I actually love Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It is tough at first and I took a lot of little breaks, but I saw results fairly quick and it got better even after 1 week. I also walk a lot. I have a treadmill but I also live about 1/2 mile from downtown and the beach so I walked with my daughter to the beach at least two days a week.

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You can also try the elliptical. It burns calories and gets your heart rate up.
    Start out with 5-10 minutes and work your way up from there.
    Walking is great! Start out slow and short walks and gradually build up distance and time.
    Make exercise an everyday habit and soon you won't be able to do without!
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I started walking at 370 pounds and haven't stopped since. 103 pounds down. Firstly I couldn't even make it to the end of the street, now I can do 5 mile. Take it easy to start with. I used to trail behind my family constantly, now they say they can't keep up!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Walking, and if you have access to a pool, aqua jogging. Both are low impact and burn lots of calories, especially if you're obese. :)
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    To echo what others have said, start slow and build from that. ANY movement is good! !!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Look into a lifting program like stronglifts or nrol . I did both when I was heavier then you are.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Lots of people start with just walking. Actually, that's the only exercise some people do, and it works out very well for them. You might find cycling or swimming easier, too. I always liked the elliptical, but some people report it was really hard for them at first.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    You can walk. That's a good place to start. It is ALWAYS hard when you start. It gets easier. Don't give up. I promise you'll learn to love it. It just takes time. We've all been where you are right now. Swimming is good. Do you have a gym or YMCA around you - a lot of them have pool exercise classes.
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just to echo what others are saying, walk. I can't walk fast really, but I walk every single day, and it really helps.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your small results :)

As for the exercise, don't worry too much at this point. Eating at a deficit will help you drop the pounds initially and after a while, you may feel you are physically able to introduce some small exercises.

I'll also echo every one else - Walking will definitely help :)
  • Jokersurv
    Jokersurv Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition you can do anythin you want. It will probably be uncomfortable at first but you will adjust and it will become easier. Start out slow. Don't overdue it. Like anything else it takes time and patience. Some weeks will be easier than others. I personally started running at 244lbs. I didn't get very far at first but now I'm up to 2 1/2 miles a day
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Walk, swim, or just move in general.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    one thing that made my walks more enjoyable is that I bought a headset to use with my phone and I downloaded a crap-load of music that I really like....
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Don't mistake being unfit for being unable. At 200lbs you aren't so overweight that you need to only walk if you want to do more. You just need to build your fitness levels, exercise isn't easy for anyone just starting out. I was 220lbs and did pretty intense cardio and resistance work from the outset. I'm now 189lbs and run and still do intense resistance work. I just had to be careful of my knees at first as they weren't strong enough to be too high impact at my start weight. Now I have pretty much no knee problems.

So just get started on anything, be careful, watch your form and persevere. It gets easier, I promise!
  • Victœria
    Victœria Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a short walk. 30 mins slow pace. I feel it a little bit but I could have done a bit more. So I plan to use the 5kg kettle bell and do a little workout using workout trainer by ski blue I found in the App Store :smile:
  • Victœria
    Victœria Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Victœria wrote: »
    I just came back from a short walk. 30 mins slow pace. I feel it a little bit but I could have done a bit more. So I plan to use the 5kg kettle bell and do a little workout using workout trainer by ski blue I found in the App Store :smile:

By SKIMBLE Not sky blue.. Auto correct ...
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP community

I'm happy to say I have managed to keep off the alcohol for 2 whole weeks and I'm starting to see some small results already :-)

I am however struggling to exercise at my current weight. What can I do that won't kill me or take too long but has good results. I have thought about weights and swimming ?

For cardio you need to keep your heart rate in a cardio zone for a minimum of 20 minutes non stop, and a minimum of 3 times per week to get a minimum training effect.

For muscular you need to do 3 sets of each exercise, and each set you have to do until you cannot do another rep. The amount of resistance will determine the number of reps you can do per set. more weight less reps will work more toward strength, and less weight more reps will work more toward endurance.

There is really no way to shortcut these things, and you have to put in the work, but there are ways to combine things into a smaller number of activities that do more than one thing at a time.

For example, I walk and ride my bike. So I get good cardio and a good endurance workout for my legs, but I was looking for something for my upper body. I discovered that kayaking works every muscle group in the upper body and core all in a single activity. In kayaking, you are using you pulling muscles on one side and your pushing muscles on the other side, and stabilizing with your core all at the same time and with each stroke. And if you do it fast, you can get a pretty good cardio as well.

I walk every day (at least 5 miles), bike (30 to 60 minutes) 2 to 3 times per week, and kayak (30 to 60 minutes) 2 to 3 times a week. So, with just those 3 activities, I get a good full muscular and cardio workout.
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Hi MFP community

For cardio you need to keep your heart rate in a cardio zone for a minimum of 20 minutes non stop, and a minimum of 3 times per week to get a minimum training effect.

For muscular you need to do 3 sets of each exercise, and each set you have to do until you cannot do another rep. The amount of resistance will determine the number of reps you can do per set. more weight less reps will work more toward strength, and less weight more reps will work more toward endurance.

There is really no way to shortcut these things, and you have to put in the work, but there are ways to combine things into a smaller number of activities that do more than one thing at a time.

For example, I walk and ride my bike. So I get good cardio and a good endurance workout for my legs, but I was looking for something for my upper body. I discovered that kayaking works every muscle group in the upper body and core all in a single activity. In kayaking, you are using you pulling muscles on one side and your pushing muscles on the other side, and stabilizing with your core all at the same time and with each stroke. And if you do it fast, you can get a pretty good cardio as well.

I walk every day (at least 5 miles), bike (30 to 60 minutes) 2 to 3 times per week, and kayak (30 to 60 minutes) 2 to 3 times a week. So, with just those 3 activities, I get a good full muscular and cardio workout.

That's great advice for someone who is looking to improve an existing workout routine, but for someone who is struggling, setting the bar so high from the start can be quite off-putting and may discourage them. The OP is just starting off, and making some progress. She, and indeed anyone, can lose weight and become more fit without the level of workout you describe for yourself, which is 10-20 hours a week of exercise including the walking. OP, just keep walking, a little harder and a little faster each day. You'll get there.