I'm struggling to exercise because I'm too heavy.

Options

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    yogacat13 wrote: »
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Victœria wrote: »
    Hi MFP community

I'm happy to say I have managed to keep off the alcohol for 2 whole weeks and I'm starting to see some small results already :-)

I am however struggling to exercise at my current weight. What can I do that won't kill me or take too long but has good results. I have thought about weights and swimming ?

For cardio you need to keep your heart rate in a cardio zone for a minimum of 20 minutes non stop, and a minimum of 3 times per week to get a minimum training effect.

For muscular you need to do 3 sets of each exercise, and each set you have to do until you cannot do another rep. The amount of resistance will determine the number of reps you can do per set. more weight less reps will work more toward strength, and less weight more reps will work more toward endurance.

There is really no way to shortcut these things, and you have to put in the work, but there are ways to combine things into a smaller number of activities that do more than one thing at a time.

For example, I walk and ride my bike. So I get good cardio and a good endurance workout for my legs, but I was looking for something for my upper body. I discovered that kayaking works every muscle group in the upper body and core all in a single activity. In kayaking, you are using you pulling muscles on one side and your pushing muscles on the other side, and stabilizing with your core all at the same time and with each stroke. And if you do it fast, you can get a pretty good cardio as well.

I walk every day (at least 5 miles), bike (30 to 60 minutes) 2 to 3 times per week, and kayak (30 to 60 minutes) 2 to 3 times a week. So, with just those 3 activities, I get a good full muscular and cardio workout.

That's great advice for someone who is looking to improve an existing workout routine, but for someone who is struggling, setting the bar so high from the start can be quite off-putting and may discourage them. The OP is just starting off, and making some progress. She, and indeed anyone, can lose weight and become more fit without the level of workout you describe for yourself, which is 10-20 hours a week of exercise including the walking. OP, just keep walking, a little harder and a little faster each day. You'll get there.

I was merely pointing out what it takes to get a minimum training effect. If a person is struggling, the first goal should be to achieve the minimum, and then improve from there. I had trouble walking a mile at first, and my first goal was to get to a level that I could do the minimum. Once I reached that goal, I was able to actually start getting a training effect.

My point is that it's not easy, and you have to put the work in to get there regardless of what level you are at.
    Hi MFP community

I'm happy to say I have managed to keep off the alcohol for 2 whole weeks and I'm starting to see some small results already :-)

I am however struggling to exercise at my current weight. What can I do that won't kill me or take too long but has good results. I have thought about weights and swimming ?

For cardio you need to keep your heart rate in a cardio zone for a minimum of 20 minutes non stop, and a minimum of 3 times per week to get a minimum training effect.

For muscular you need to do 3 sets of each exercise, and each set you have to do until you cannot do another rep. The amount of resistance will determine the number of reps you can do per set. more weight less reps will work more toward strength, and less weight more reps will work more toward endurance.

There is really no way to shortcut these things, and you have to put in the work, but there are ways to combine things into a smaller number of activities that do more than one thing at a time.

For example, I walk and ride my bike. So I get good cardio and a good endurance workout for my legs, but I was looking for something for my upper body. I discovered that kayaking works every muscle group in the upper body and core all in a single activity. In kayaking, you are using you pulling muscles on one side and your pushing muscles on the other side, and stabilizing with your core all at the same time and with each stroke. And if you do it fast, you can get a pretty good cardio as well.

I walk every day (at least 5 miles), bike (30 to 60 minutes) 2 to 3 times per week, and kayak (30 to 60 minutes) 2 to 3 times a week. So, with just those 3 activities, I get a good full muscular and cardio workout.

OP, all those things above aren't things the "have to be done". For example, taking advice like do reps until you can't do another way is a great way to end up injured. You do what you can and progress as time goes on. If today you walked for 30 minutes and felt like you could do more then that's great, next time add a couple of minutes. Eventually you can pick up the pace. Maybe some day soon you'll find yourself jogging for a block or 2. You don't need to throw everything at the wall and hope it all sticks. Work your way up at a pace you find reasonable.

3 sets are needed to break both muscle fibers down and achieve muscular failure, and each set needs to be until you cannot do another rep. You do not have to do this from jump street if you are struggling, but it should be the goal. I think most injuries are from using very heavy weights. You should also do the proper warm up and cool down as with any exercise.

Again, I was only saying what is required to get improvement.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    +1 for the walking and swimming people. You really arent that large and id think your problem is more to do with lack of fitness rather than just your size. You arent in a race just trying to improve where you are at. Any movement is good, keep it consistent and progressive, then you will see improvement.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If it's not clear from my picture, I love skating. It's so low impact on the knees but actually builds muscles in new people. Core, glutes, quads, hamstrings, calves all get used and worked. At first you might be sore and unable to skate non-stop for the length of one song. But after 6 months, you'll improve your stamina and build muscles you didn't have (though many of them will be in your core and bum). I can casually skate 3 hours non-stop now (just stopping for a drink of water now and then). It also helped me with balance, flexibility, coordination, head independence, and other skills which have helped me be more active in general. (Just make sure to always wear knee pads and wrist guards.)

For $6+skate rental you can exercise for 3-4 hours to music if there's a rink nearby. (Or join a nearby roller derby team!)
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    If it's not clear from my picture, I love skating. It's so low impact on the knees but actually builds muscles in new people. Core, glutes, quads, hamstrings, calves all get used and worked. At first you might be sore and unable to skate non-stop for the length of one song. But after 6 months, you'll improve your stamina and build muscles you didn't have (though many of them will be in your core and bum). I can casually skate 3 hours non-stop now (just stopping for a drink of water now and then). It also helped me with balance, flexibility, coordination, head independence, and other skills which have helped me be more active in general. (Just make sure to always wear knee pads and wrist guards.)

For $6+skate rental you can exercise for 3-4 hours to music if there's a rink nearby. (Or join a nearby roller derby team!)

Love this idea!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I can do so much more today than a year ago. The fitness gains, truly, have been transformative. My advice is to start where you are and as that gets easy, do more. Try lots of stuff even non traditional fitness activities and keep doing those things that give you the most enjoyment.

For instance, push ups. If you can't do one from the floor, start from the wall.

http://pinterest.com/janetkarasz/fitness-at-home/
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a short walk. 30 mins slow pace. I feel it a little bit but I could have done a bit more. So I plan to use the 5kg kettle bell and do a little workout using workout trainer by ski blue I found in the App Store :smile:

There ya go! That's great to start! You'll increase it pretty naturally as you just get used to it and get stronger.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP community

That's great advice for someone who is looking to improve an existing workout routine, but for someone who is struggling, setting the bar so high from the start can be quite off-putting and may discourage them. The OP is just starting off, and making some progress. She, and indeed anyone, can lose weight and become more fit without the level of workout you describe for yourself, which is 10-20 hours a week of exercise including the walking. OP, just keep walking, a little harder and a little faster each day. You'll get there.

I was merely pointing out what it takes to get a minimum training effect. If a person is struggling, the first goal should be to achieve the minimum, and then improve from there. I had trouble walking a mile at first, and my first goal was to get to a level that I could do the minimum. Once I reached that goal, I was able to actually start getting a training effect.

My point is that it's not easy, and you have to put the work in to get there regardless of what level you are at.
    Hi MFP community

OP, all those things above aren't things the "have to be done". For example, taking advice like do reps until you can't do another way is a great way to end up injured. You do what you can and progress as time goes on. If today you walked for 30 minutes and felt like you could do more then that's great, next time add a couple of minutes. Eventually you can pick up the pace. Maybe some day soon you'll find yourself jogging for a block or 2. You don't need to throw everything at the wall and hope it all sticks. Work your way up at a pace you find reasonable.

3 sets are needed to break both muscle fibers down and achieve muscular failure, and each set needs to be until you cannot do another rep. You do not have to do this from jump street if you are struggling, but it should be the goal. I think most injuries are from using very heavy weights. You should also do the proper warm up and cool down as with any exercise.

None of that is "required", it is your preference. Muscle failure isn't necessary to achieve in order to get the proper muscle fiber recruitment. The amount of sets is also an individual thing and can be tailored to meet your training format. You do not need to work to failure because there aren't any proven benefits to pushing yourself to failure as opposed to meeting the goal you set out. If someone lifts heavy and at a low rep rate they can achieve slow twitch fiber recruitment as a primary and fast twitch on that back end as fatigue sets in but that doesn't mean the person needs to go to failure or where they can't push out the next rep. Also, recruitment of both muscle fibers all the time or evenly isn't a must. Once again, the person's goals will assist in dictating the direction that they take their training.

There are plenty of ways to structure a lifting program where it's conducive to the trainees goals and their current conditioning. The is no one set standard of what "needs to be done". That frame of thinking is a result of someone looking at what they found to work for them and thinking it needs to be applied across the board. Unfortunately when you work with individual clients that differ from each other you realize that the approach isn't black and white.

Would recommended be a better word than required?

I am making some basic suggestions, and you are overcomplicating.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Walking. Easiest exercise you can do. I was completely out of shape a year ago. I couldn't even walk around the corner without needing a break.Now I walk about 6-8 miles a day.(4 of them nightly on my walk) I walk faster and longer than my kids lol.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a short walk. 30 mins slow pace. I feel it a little bit but I could have done a bit more. So I plan to use the 5kg kettle bell and do a little workout using workout trainer by ski blue I found in the App Store :smile:

You've got this! You GO!
  • domgibson88
    domgibson88 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started walking at 370 pounds and haven't stopped since. 103 pounds down. Firstly I couldn't even make it to the end of the street, now I can do 5 mile. Take it easy to start with. I used to trail behind my family constantly, now they say they can't keep up!

Thats amazing!!!!!Great job!!!!
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Watch A Year to Save my Life/Extreme Makeover Weightloss Edition. 600lb+people working out you can do anything just go steady at first but don't be scared. When I started I thought I was going to die but you get used to the feelings of exercise and stop thinking of them as dangerous.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @bcalvanese a better word than required might be "target". It was off-putting to start when I thought I had to do at least an hour to see any benefit. When a lady is starting at zero as I was, a plan like yours seems impossible.

Now I want to get at least thirty minutes of cardio in to keep my gains. But it took a while to get here.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I wanted to mention another thing if it's available at your gym. Those machines that are kind of like bicycle pedals for your arms? If you use them properly so you're using all the muscles of your shoulder, chest and back, you're burning nearly as much per minute as riding a bike with your legs. If it's your current goal to increase stamina and burn calories without too much impact, those machines are winners.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Hi MFP community

For muscular you need[/b] to do 3 sets of each exercise, and each set you have to do until you cannot do another rep. The amount of resistance will determine the number of reps you can do per set. more weight less reps will work more toward strength, and less weight more reps will work more toward endurance.

Hi MFP community

I agree with setting goals, and I agree that we have to put the work into our own fitness programs. I train hard myself and have been doing so for many years, but I would not recommend my workout program to another person who is clearly struggling to just get up and move. It's not appropriate.

In your postings you are using words such as "you need to" and "required." None of what you said is actually required to achieve better fitness, and what you are telling her what should be her goal. Do you realize there are many fit people out there, and not all their fitness goals are the same or achieved in the same way?

While your program worked for you, and continues to work, it is not what is required to get improvement. There are many way to improve fitness, especially when you are starting at square one. ;)

• TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

That is awesome !! I'm a believer that ANY movement is better than NO movement. Do what you can, who cares if it's slow, at least you are doing something. In time you will get stronger and be able to do even more.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP community

The first time I lost weight, I just threw myself headlong into exercising. I felt dead at first, and I could feel EVERY MUSCLE in my body, but after a week, the cardio wasn't hard any more. I weighed well over 300 pounds (at 6'3"). I just cycled every day, and did body weight exercises, while cutting calories.

I would just recommend trying to do 30 minutes of whatever cardio that you can. Start at a very slow pace, then build as you see fit.

That said, exercise isn't necessary for weight loss. I exercise because I enjoy it. I like that feeling you get when you have an intense cardio session, and you can feel it in your chest. I like being able to run just because I want to without huffing and puffing right away. I like how much better I feel when I am in shape, regardless of what I weigh. If you want that, just keep plugging away. It's worth it. :)
  • funkitarian
    funkitarian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Over 200lbs and doing the 30 day shred and loving it! It killed me at first but you get a little stronger each and every day. Keep going!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Hi MFP community

The first time I lost weight, I just threw myself headlong into exercising. I felt dead at first, and I could feel EVERY MUSCLE in my body, but after a week, the cardio wasn't hard any more. I weighed well over 300 pounds (at 6'3"). I just cycled every day, and did body weight exercises, while cutting calories.

I would just recommend trying to do 30 minutes of whatever cardio that you can. Start at a very slow pace, then build as you see fit.

That said, exercise isn't necessary for weight loss. I exercise because I enjoy it. I like that feeling you get when you have an intense cardio session, and you can feel it in your chest. I like being able to run just because I want to without huffing and puffing right away. I like how much better I feel when I am in shape, regardless of what I weigh. If you want that, just keep plugging away. It's worth it. :)

QFT as to exercise not being necessary to weight loss, but boy can I relate to the rest as well.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    walk, bike ride, hand weights, I started at 232 pounds and walked 2 miles to get my kids from school. I could only do 15 minutes on my elliptical before getting tired. start off slowly and build up your workouts. swimming is a good exercise.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    That is great news and keep up the good work. You may want to not rush weight loss. We are all different so do some Googling and read research and the experiences of others and pick what sounds good and test it.

I just walk at least a quarter mile daily and have been doing that for a year now. In my case I have learned doing exercise to lose weight is counter productive to keep lost weight off long term. In life things can happen making exercise next to impossible from time to time. Now I do weight loss by my eating lifestyle and I move to build body strength.