I want to boredom eat!

Options
I'm just lounging, probably going to sleep in an hour. I'm not really hungry but I just want to eat out of boredom and can really use support!

I'm a former compulsive overeater and still have a hard time being conscious of what I'm eating. I'm on day 4 of being 100% mindful again

Ohh the struggle

Replies

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Drink some water? A handful of nuts.. something small and satisfying.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Like I just posted in another thread, the best way for me to avoid this behavior is to not buy things that make it easy (like chips). I pretty much have to cook in order to eat. I enjoy cooking, but knowing it will take half an hour to get a salty potato fix, when I know I don't actually want it...

Is there anything you can do in the mean time? Talk to friends, hobbies? I like to play guitar, and that takes too many hands for me to eat of boredom at the same time. :)
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and what works for me is to chew a piece of sugarless gum.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When it's that close to bed time for me, I usually just go to sleep so I won't over eat. The worst that can happen if o get more sleep than I planned on.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Maybe Fit some pop corn as a bed night snack, cauliflower popcorn BBQ , 1/2 cup of ice-cream, gum, cold water , etc, don't wait for those moments to happen, pre plan and think ahead how are you gonna handle when those moment of boredom of eating come.

Good luck :wink:
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    I have the same problem and what works for me is to chew a piece of sugarless gum.
    This is what I do at work. If I'm not actually hungry, then it works great.
  • KeepGoinGirl
    KeepGoinGirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Save some calories for a night time snack. My go to is popcorn because it is low calorie, a little over 100 calories for the whole microwave bag, and it takes awhile to eat so I literally get to eat through an entire hour TV show.

My other go to is cutting up fresh veggies, celery, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, and snack on those. Once again low calorie but keeps your mouth busy for awhile.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    I'm just lounging, probably going to sleep in an hour. I'm not really hungry but I just want to eat out of boredom and can really use support!

I'm a former compulsive overeater and still have a hard time being conscious of what I'm eating. I'm on day 4 of being 100% mindful again

Ohh the struggle

Get up and rearrange your sock drawer ... clean the bathroom ... unload the dishwasher ... :grin:

If you need to relax for an hour before bed ... then curl up with a good book.

Basically, do something to take your mind off food.

• kaylaybanez
    kaylaybanez Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for thr reply guys!

I try not to buy too much junk anymore because I know I'll just want to eat it because it's there.

There's a box of pumpkin delights I want to annihilate haha I just love all things pumpkin. Le sigh

Chugging ice water like it's my job and watching Friday night lights. I have healthy meals planned for tomorrow so that helps.

I'm ready for a great week!
  • caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Why don't you find something else that you love to do? If your problem is boredom then you have to stop the boredom.. have a bath, paint your nails, clean the house, colour in (seriously good for mindfulness), read a book, listen to something inspiring on soundcloud, make a cup of herbal tea and watch some youtube...
  • kaylaybanez
    kaylaybanez Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I really do need to clean hahahaha especially with my two toddlers trashing the place on the daily. That usually can keep me busy most days