So in theory you could do no exercise at all and still lose weight with a deficit

Options
i don't personally do this because I want to exercise to be healthy and because being toned looks and feels nice but in theory could you technically lose weight with no exercise at all? As long as you maintain a deficit?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    This is a fact, not a theory. Losing weight is all about the food.
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options

That's so interesting to know
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. Exercise is one way to help create one.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I lose more on the weeks I don't exercise
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm not exercising. I'm logging my walks and trying to do more walks (walk to local shop instead of car to big shop) and walk faster but not really going to a gym type exercise.
    I've lost 14lbs in 3 months and was only 146 to start with. I'm hoping to start exercising next month.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Many people lose without exercise, particularly when they're starting out. Some meal replacement diets (this is another reason I don't advocate for them) actually recommend that you don't exercise and/or tout that they are designed so you don't have to.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight without exercise - but I do believe that exercise will always help in the long run to maintain a healthy heart and lifestyle :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight without exercise - but I do believe that exercise will always help in the long run to maintain a healthy heart and lifestyle :)

Awesome post. So very much this.

(Disclaimer: my heart goes out to anyone in a wheelchair who has no chance of exercising. I wish I knew more to help you except CI<CO works.)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Is it possible to lose weight with no exercise? Ofc it is.
    Does exercise have an effect though? Yes because it burns calories, so it affects the cico equation.

Weight loss is 100% deficit no matter how that is created.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Lost 30lbs with no exercise.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Awesome post. So very much this.

(Disclaimer: my heart goes out to anyone in a wheelchair who has no chance of exercising. I wish I knew more to help you except CI<CO works.)

People in wheelchairs can exercise as well, there are plenty of youtube videos and information for wheelchair workouts. Think how fit the wheelchair athletes are or how fit generally your upper body has to be if you wheel yourself around.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. Exercise is one way to help create one.

^This.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Yes all that's needed for weight loss is a calorie deficit
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 340 lbs to 185 since December without any exercise. It was all diet. I know exercise is important for health, but it's not a necessity for weight loss.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Yes - this is how physicians manage weight for comatose and patients with severe mobility limitations.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    I've gone from 340 lbs to 185 since December without any exercise. It was all diet. I know exercise is important for health, but it's not a necessity for weight loss.

Nobody every says exercise is necessary, but plenty of people say its all diet and discount any exercise that may be being done. Well done on the weight loss btw.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The only thing absolutely required for fat loss is a calorie deficit. It's not a theory. You could sit on your butt all day every day and eat at a deficit and still lose weight. No exercise required.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »
    The only thing absolutely required for fat loss is a calorie deficit. It's not a theory. You could sit on your butt all day every day and eat at a deficit and still lose weight. No exercise required.

You can.

However, that doesn't mean to say it's the 'done thing'. You probably won't get any definition or shape out of it whatsoever. But I suppose if you are losing weight for health reasons alone, that doesn't matter too much. Sometimes it's important for people just to lose those extra pounds.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    ESotrops wrote: »
    i don't personally do this because I want to exercise to be healthy and because being toned looks and feels nice but in theory could you technically lose weight with no exercise at all? As long as you maintain a deficit?

"Trying to lose weight and not go to the gym is like trying to have sex with your cloths on"

Always liked that line, you can do it but it's better for your health to workout also.

Also if you have allot of weight to lose, you'll have a lose skin issue if you just diet and don't workout at all. (that's my opinion not a fact)