Your body actually doesn't know about mfp

Options
At the end of the day, mfp is just a guide, a tool, a diary. Your body doesn't actually know what numbers you put into a computer.

So many people seem so focussed on the reality of the numbers, which is great as a starting point and as a way to stay on track, but realistically, there's no way to be 100% certain of the CI or CO parts of the equation (outside of controlled experiment type settings) for each person.
Your body, though, does know the CICO equation, and the real secret is learning to read your body's language. Losing weight at a sensible steady rate, and feeling well? Your body is telling you you're doing it right! Not losing, or losing too fast and/or feeling rubbish? Your body is telling you you're doing it wrong and something needs to be tweaked. Your body doesn't care if the numbers you've written down don't agree.

Long story short: no amount of arguing on the Internet is going to convince your body that you actually are eating at a deficit and it should start losing weight. Your body doesn't even know about the internet.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    But the elliptical tells me that I burned 1500 calories in 45 minutes!!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Lies.

Not really.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You make some good points, but my mind is part of my body.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Does your brain have trouble losing weight?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

No, but it knows about the internet and MFP.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Depends which philosophy you subscribe to...
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Does it know about the metaphorical distinction between mind and body often used in discussion such as these?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, mfp is just a guide, a tool, a diary. Your body doesn't actually know what numbers you put into a computer.

So many people seem so focussed on the reality of the numbers, which is great as a starting point and as a way to stay on track, but realistically, there's no way to be 100% certain of the CI or CO parts of the equation (outside of controlled experiment type settings) for each person.
    Your body, though, does know the CICO equation, and the real secret is learning to read your body's language. Losing weight at a sensible steady rate, and feeling well? Your body is telling you you're doing it right! Not losing, or losing too fast and/or feeling rubbish? Your body is telling you you're doing it wrong and something needs to be tweaked. Your body doesn't care if the numbers you've written down don't agree.

Long story short: no amount of arguing on the Internet is going to convince your body that you actually are eating at a deficit and it should start losing weight. Your body doesn't even know about the internet.
    Weight loss and health isn't just about what you eat though. It's an important part, but variables like sleep, age, genetics, environment, risk behavior (like smoking), stress, etc. can all lead to someone feeling they are doing it wrong with the numbers.
    I've had several clients who were right with food, right with exercise and wrong with everything else and had a hard time losing. It takes addressing all of those to see what might be deterring someone from losing weight or reaching goals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Very true and why the numbers should be used as a guideline. Like anything if you don't track it you cannot investigate and improve upon it. If you're seeing results - great! If not, then you have a log to review and identify potential root causes.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

The OP is basically saying wit this:
    no amount of arguing on the Internet is going to convince your body that you actually are eating at a deficit and it should start losing weight. Your body doesn't even know about the internet
    that trying to convince yourself you are eating at a deficit because of the MFP numbers is fruitless.

Any calculation, no matter where you get it, is an estimation to start with, the rest is trial and error.

Also, setting your mind aside, your body really does not know about the internet. :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a really nice post I read a few years ago on another site. The title was :"It's just a tool," which is also a pretty good thesis statement.

MFP is a tool which gives you a set of guidelines. It is a powerful tool, no question, but it's just a computer program. It doesn't know how hard you exercised, how much you really ate, whether you're retaining water, or any of innumerable other variables and life circumstances.

It's a great starting point, but in the end it's what happens with your body - not whether you stayed within your budget or hit your macros - that matters.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So my body knows about an equation, but not the internet. It needs to get out more.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It is all estimates.

I've been at this for a long time, now, and do believe that everyone has to do it differently and that if they pay some attention, they'll learn a little something about their body and what helps them lose weight.

Logging the calories only helps if people do it forever (unlikely) or use it to learn about how to eat to remain healthy and strong.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My body is losing weight, but feels pretty "meh". It wants to eat food to not feel "meh". Does this mean my body wants to be morbidly obese again?

My body knows about MFP or it wouldn't snicker at the gifs.
    18-720x360.jpg
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    This post inspires me to just keep going. There are a lot of know-it-alls on this board, and this is yet another one who wants to sit here and mince words for three days about what gets you at a deficit and what doesn't.

I will not let it frustrate me. MFP works for a lot of people because it's based on the only real way to lose weight: burning more than you eat.

Also, how does it not know my exercise? It knows at least an approximate figure of calorie burn because my Apple Watch estimates burn based on my heart rate and what kind of exercise I'm doing and then feeds that into my MFP equation for the day. It can't be too far off, because I've lost 53 lbs. So it did know my exercise and it must have been a pretty close estimate because a lot of days I eat back my calories from exercise and still lose at almost exactly the rate MFP says I should.

I apologize for sounding combative, but I'm tired of people being discouraging all the time.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    This post inspires me to just keep going. There are a lot of know-it-alls on this board, and this is yet another one who wants to sit here and mince words for three days about what gets you at a deficit and what doesn't.

I will not let it frustrate me. MFP works for a lot of people because it's based on the only real way to lose weight: burning more than you eat.

Also, how does it not know my exercise? It knows at least an approximate figure of calorie burn because my Apple Watch estimates burn based on my heart rate and what kind of exercise I'm doing and then feeds that into my MFP equation for the day. It can't be too far off, because I've lost 53 lbs. So it did know my exercise and it must have been a pretty close estimate because a lot of days I eat back my calories from exercise and still lose at almost exactly the rate MFP says I should.

I apologize for sounding combative, but I'm tired of people being discouraging all the time.

I must have missed the discouraging part of the OP. I read it as a different way of saying "Start with the numbers from MFP and adjust according to your results." That's not wrong or discouraging.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    You can trust your body... It's got your back
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options

I must have missed the discouraging part of the OP. I read it as a different way of saying "Start with the numbers from MFP and adjust according to your results." That's not wrong or discouraging.

That's exactly what I was saying. People get so caught up in what the numbers say when what actually matters is the results you get, which means paying attention to your body and tracking your weight long term.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    OP well said. Those who want to understand, will. Those who want to argue, will.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The thing about CICO is that it's as much art as it is science. No, you're probably never going to know EXACTLY how many calories you're eating, or burning. But the best evidence is that if you apply the formula, it works. It's entirely too easy to get caught up in the inprecisoon of the system and convince yourself that it doesn't work, when it really does. It's not perfect, but it does work.