Nuts makes you fat ?

Options

Replies

• doralim1990
    doralim1990 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I guess i just screwed up my metabolism. i am afraid if i eat more than 1000, I will definitely gain weight. But i will heed your advice and try to increase my calories intake. I might need to take more accurately measurement of my food. Might eat more than i thought. Thanks for answering :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I guess i just screwed up my metabolism. i am afraid if i eat more than 1000, I will definitely gain weight. But i will heed your advice and try to increase my calories intake. I might need to take more accurately measurement of my food. Might eat more than i thought. Thanks for answering :)
    You didn't. At most, you screwed up your view of food.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

It is extremely unlikely that you "screwed up your metabolism". Starvation mode and set point are both myths for the average person with no underlying medical issues.

Yes, tightening up your weighing and measuring so you have a really good idea of how much you are eating is the best way. Make sure you weigh all solids and semi solids (like nut butters and mayo) and measure all liquids except plain water.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Nut are high fat foods. Not all high fat foods are nuts. Do you also crave sausage, mayonnaise, etc. or just nuts?

I loved mayonaise and cheese before i realized that i am lactose intolerant so nowadays no, only nuts though.

Mayo is not dairy. It is oil and eggs.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Nut are high fat foods. Not all high fat foods are nuts. Do you also crave sausage, mayonnaise, etc. or just nuts?

I loved mayonaise and cheese before i realized that i am lactose intolerant so nowadays no, only nuts though.

Fat makes food highly palatable. Why do you think cuisines which are noted for taste (such as French) use liberal amounts of butter and oil?

It's perfectly understandable and from the information you have outlined in this thread your body is working just fine.

You need to eat a little more, move a little more, allow some calories in your day for treats you like, be patient and be consistent.

You'll be fine.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    preeJAY wrote: »
    I'm 155 cm and felt dizzy and weak on 1200, let alone 1000.

I weight train 3x a week and do no cardio, and lose on 1350 a day. I think your love of nuts is both from you really liking nuts, but also due to your body really needing the protein and fat, which is very hard to get enough of on 1000 Cal.

This!

I'm 5'2 - I work out 4 times a week (2 strength, 2 cardio sessions), 128lbs and I'm on 1500 per day and still losing! I started on 1200 (like a lot of women think they 'should') and lost a substantial amount but the cost to my social life, mental-well being and SKIN (The spots..!) was just not worth it. I was so miserable and so fatigued all the time, it just wasn't working out. I *had* to up my calories for my own sanity if anything else! Yes I'm losing half a pound less than I was before but... who cares?! I'm satisfied and feeling like a human and for me, that is VERY important.

1000 is way, way too little.
  • doralim1990
    Options
    Hell yeah if nuts make me happy and satisfied then i am gonna incoporate them in my diet again. ;)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah if nuts make me happy and satisfied then i am gonna incoporate them in my diet again. ;)

Just don't eat a pound of them.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Nuts are quite good for you. The only problem with them is they tend to be very calorie dense. Last time I bought a package of nuts out of the vending machine it was only like a handful or so and it was 350 calories. That is like a complete meal's worth of calories for me. So for me, nuts are not worth it. I could have a whole peanut-butter sandwich for less calories than that package of nuts.
  • doralim1990
    Options
    Thats what i mean!! My breakfast is usually about 300 cal which is very filling (half cup of oats, 1 banana, dried raisins) but i could eat up to 2-3 tbsp of almond butter in just a blink without feeling any fullness
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    the calorie count on nut butters can accumulate quickly. do what you can to fit what you would like in your calorie allotment.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you love the satiating quality of nuts try pairing them with something like air-popped popcorn or pretzels. Portion out a tablespoon at a time of the nuts to keep the calories in check and fill in the corners with a couple cups of popcorn.

You can eat more without gaining weight.
  • HewyO
    HewyO Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nuts contain an extremely high amount of fat as read on the packaging, but the reason why they are such a good snacking food is the protein in them as well so they fill you up quicker than eating crappy foods. The molecular construct of nuts have a huge fatty deposit in the middle but your body doesn't break them down fully during digestion. So in a packet of nuts let's say there's 46G of fat, you are only taking in 20 - 35% of what there actually is :) #Sciencebitch
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Nuts are good for you but are very calorie dense. There's a reason I don't eat cashews anymore even though I love them! I know that the peanut butter powders that are out now remove a huge chunk of the fat, but I've not found one that will reconstitute into proper peanut butter. But I have been told it makes great peanut butter dips and smoothies, so that might be something to try.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Oh I could eat 1000 calories in one sitting with peanut butter (And I definitely did when I was pregnant) I found this amazing stuff called PB2. It's not as good as peanut butter but it's almost 1/4 the calories and I don't crave peanut butter when I eat it.
  • Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    when you say nut butter, do you mean peanut butter? If you crave peanut butter and need a fix, PB2 is a very good low fat/low cal alternative to regular peanut butter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eliminate my nut butter intake for few days and realized that i go cold turkey right away. I feel unsatisfied no matter how much i ate at that day.

I can eat 2 tbsp of nut butter (either with my oatmeal or dip it with fruits) per day which is too much fat for me.

Does anyone feel unsatisfied when reduce fat in their diets?

dietary fat doesn't make you fat...nuts are packed with nutrition.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I do indeed quite petite, my height is 159cm which yeah very petite. And i am working right now, with minimal amount of moving. I think that the calories are enough for me. But i do crave for fatty food despite having a full belly.

So 5'2... only 2 inches below average. When I said very small, I meant like dwarf height. If you were 4'4 and completely sedentary then 1000 calories would be about right for you. You could easily afford to eat the 300 calories of nuts you want a day and still lose weight.

Yeah...I'm 4'11" and could eat twice that and lose weight. My 69 year old grandma who averages 1000 steps a day and can hardly move due to rheumatoid arthritis maintains on 1350kcal . She's my height.

FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT. Nut will not make you fat. Eating too many calories get someone fat.

I've gone from 253lbs to 167lbs in 8 months. How much fat do I eat per day? Wait for it...here it comes...an average of 112 grams per day.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

This tells me that you may need to change your attitude to food. It is your fuel and will make your workouts more effective. Don't be afraid to eat, it really is good for you!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    excess calories make you fat - whether its nuts or bananas or lettuce....