Nuts makes you fat ?

Options
I've been trying to eliminate my nut butter intake for few days and realized that i go cold turkey right away. I feel unsatisfied no matter how much i ate at that day.

I can eat 2 tbsp of nut butter (either with my oatmeal or dip it with fruits) per day which is too much fat for me.

Does anyone feel unsatisfied when reduce fat in their diets?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to keep fat at such a low level? It's kinda necessary for your body to function.
  • doralim1990
    doralim1990 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to keep fat at such a low level? It's kinda necessary for your body to function.

Nothing much except i am trying to lose weight. I can easily consume up to 300cal of nuts per day (worst case) and its like a whole breakfast cal for me.

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Nuts do not make you fat, nor do fats make you fat... a surplus of calories is what makes people gain weight. If you do not have a medical reason, like deguellotex asked, then it's ok to eat fats like nuts and nut butter.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    If you don't have room for a satisfying amount, you might need to rearrange your macro goals, raise your calorie limit, or just cope until you can do so.
  • MrPriolos
    MrPriolos Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    All food makes you fat. Not just nuts. Reducing your calories by cutting out nuts is still reducing calories. :smile:
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I can understand the concern about nuts because the calories can be very frightening, even just for a scraping of peanut butter or another nut butter. The good news though is that as small as the amount looks, it is very satisfying and filling and worth the calories, I would say, if you keep it in its place.

The overall tally counts, not specific foods, as others have said. A high level of protein helps to keep you satisfied. When my protein is too low on any given day I feel starving, so I often choose the nut butter and give up other things to accommodate it.
  • doralim1990
    Options
    I agreed with all of you but the thing is i am kind of obssessed over nuts (like i can choose to eat them with bananas/ sweet potatoes over any other food). Or even savory food like veggie with spicy peanut sauce. Or snack them raw nuts like never before.

Its like an unhealthy obsession of mine.

Just wondering whether its because i ate way too little cal (1,000 per day while circuit training for 30mins per day) so i always crave for high fat foods?!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,147 Member
    Options
    I love my nutella on toast for breakfast once or twice a month! :grin: I'm definitely not giving that up!! Happily, it fits within my calories.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I agreed with all of you but the thing is i am kind of obssessed over nuts (like i can choose to eat them with bananas/ sweet potatoes over any other food). Or even savory food like veggie with spicy peanut sauce. Or snack them raw nuts like never before.

Its like an unhealthy obsession of mine.

Just wondering whether its because i ate way too little cal (1,000 per day while circuit training for 30mins per day) so i always crave for high fat foods?!

1000 a day is, unless you are absolutely tiny, way too little. Especially if you've only got 7lbs to lose. You should be aiming for a loss of about 0.5lbs/week. So yeah, that's probably not helping!
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you crave high-fat foods; it sounds like you crave nuts.

It seems unlikely that it's due to the factors you list, but it's not impossible, I suppose.
  • doralim1990
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I do indeed quite petite, my height is 159cm which yeah very petite. And i am working right now, with minimal amount of moving. I think that the calories are enough for me. But i do crave for fatty food despite having a full belly.
  • preeJAY
    preeJAY Posts: 46 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm 155 cm and felt dizzy and weak on 1200, let alone 1000.

I weight train 3x a week and do no cardio, and lose on 1350 a day. I think your love of nuts is both from you really liking nuts, but also due to your body really needing the protein and fat, which is very hard to get enough of on 1000 Cal.
  • doralim1990
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you crave high-fat foods; it sounds like you crave nuts.

It seems unlikely that it's due to the factors you list, but it's not impossible, I suppose.

Yes and it is a high fat food to be honest. I wouldnt mind if i was obssesed over lettuce hahaha
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Nut are high fat foods. Not all high fat foods are nuts. Do you also crave sausage, mayonnaise, etc. or just nuts?
  • doralim1990
    Options
    preeJAY wrote: »

I weight train 3x a week and do no cardio, and lose on 1350 a day. I think your love of nuts is both from you really liking nuts, but also due to your body really needing the protein and fat, which is very hard to get enough of on 1000 Cal.

Totally agreed! But mind that my 1000 intake is a plant based diet, which i often cook myself. I eat like oats, bananas, fruits, vegetables stir fry with white rice, sweet potatoes most of the days. They are relatively low in calorie, you gotta eat much of it compared to meat dishes. And i am not vegan, i do eat meat occasionally (on that day my intake could reach up to 1,500cal)
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I do indeed quite petite, my height is 159cm which yeah very petite. And i am working right now, with minimal amount of moving. I think that the calories are enough for me. But i do crave for fatty food despite having a full belly.

So 5'2... only 2 inches below average. When I said very small, I meant like dwarf height. If you were 4'4 and completely sedentary then 1000 calories would be about right for you. You could easily afford to eat the 300 calories of nuts you want a day and still lose weight.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

1000 calories is still too low, especially when it sounds like you're probably netting lower than that. My wife is the same height as you, 10 years older than you and loses at almost 1500. Your body is just flat out hungry. With only 7lbs to your goal weight, you shouldn't be cutting at such a low number.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Surely even your BMR is higher than 1000 calories.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    preeJAY wrote: »

Totally agreed! But mind that my 1000 intake is a plant based diet, which i often cook myself. I eat like oats, bananas, fruits, vegetables stir fry with white rice, sweet potatoes most of the days. They are relatively low in calorie, you gotta eat much of it compared to meat dishes. And i am not vegan, i do eat meat occasionally (on that day my intake could reach up to 1,500cal)
    1. 1000 calories is too little for someone who is 5'2". You should be aiming for a net of 1200
    2. Nuts, and nut butters, are calorie dense. They are also very healthy and can be eaten in moderation as part of an overall healthy diet
    3. If you are having difficulty with portion control, buy single serving packages. If you buy a box of several single servings, store them somewhere where they are not easily accessible. I keep my almonds in my car, which is parked in underground parking 2 floors down.

• doralim1990
    Options
    Nut are high fat foods. Not all high fat foods are nuts. Do you also crave sausage, mayonnaise, etc. or just nuts?

I loved mayonaise and cheese before i realized that i am lactose intolerant so nowadays no, only nuts though.