ONE tip from those who have been successful

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited September 2015

Food scale made all the difference for me.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    "Just keep swimming".
    Seriously - just don't give up on yourself.
    You are so worth it!
  • Asherberry
    Asherberry Posts: 30 Member
    elothen wrote: »
    Sorry, I'll give 2.
    1) Log EVERYTHING religiously
    2) So long as you keep your calories above starvation mode enjoy hunger pains. Every time your stomach feels like that means your body is about to go eat some fat. Unless you're in starvation mode, then it's probably going to eat an organ. :)
    LOL! Eat an organ :p
  • desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    One bad binge doesn't mean the whole day or whole journey is over
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    You have received a lot of wonderful advice thus far so I will touch on something that has not been said. Please trust me when I say be kind to yourself.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited September 2015
    I agree with all of the tips. PATIENCE and be honest with your logging to ensure you are eating at a deficit.

My tip might not appeal to you, but it has really helped me lose 30 lbs. I do a short workout every single day - 30 min of something sufficiently intense to make me very sweaty. I'm not talking about some fancy routine (you can focus on that later) - just go for a walk, run, swim, go a DVD, lift weights...whatever. I find it easier to fit in a 30 min workout every day compared to a daunting 90 min in the gym several times weekly. That daily calorie expenditure lets me eat a little more each day (for me, it's that glass of wine with supper) and, of course, increases my fitness. Improving my physical condition is also gratifying - and typically leads to quick victories. So, those improvements help me be patient in waiting for changes on the scale or measuring tape.
  • hiphop10
    hiphop10 Posts: 135 Member
    vegan.
  • Mom2ATM
    Mom2ATM Posts: 147 Member
    Log in diary truthfully and faithfully. Every day. When I don't it's surprising how those few things I forgot ("till later) add up to "over cal. goal".

I've logged on for 30 days straight today and I can't stress this enough!! I log everything now as soon as I eat it so I know exactly where I am. Also I wear heart rate monitor that tells me exactly how many cals I burn during my workouts and let me tell you it can be a huge difference from what mfp tells you you burned
  • Mom2ATM
    Mom2ATM Posts: 147 Member
    xtrain321 wrote: »
    Use a food scale vs. measuring cups or "eyeballing" it.
    I lost 7 pounds by making that one small change.

After reading this tip a few times on here I'm definitely getting a food scale tomorrow!!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Always pack a snack so you'll never "have" to get something on the go. (Or stop at a grocery store if you need a snack.) And always have your water with you!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    And if you slip and take a cookie/ piece of pie or candy or cake/French fries or whatever it was that you hadn't intended eating, don't panic and start eating the house or restaurant down in a binge. Enjoy the ONE thing you ate, log it, and get back on track.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Ooh another one!
    Repeat after me "I can do this. I am worth it"
  • RosieJaynee
    RosieJaynee Posts: 12 Member
    Bootea :smiley:
  • Celebrate the small victories! Fitting into an old pair of jeans that hadn't fit me in years meant so much more than a number on a scale.
  • anicole0102
    anicole0102 Posts: 48 Member
    BUMP!
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Life changing.Never stop. Your pleasure if this choice is most Rewarding!
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Get your head right and your body will follow!

Ditto. Educate yourself so you consume healthy calories (vegetables not SlimEzz, Diet Soda, etc.) and log everything before you eat so you only eat what you intend. Sometimes I am so busy with work, shopping, cooking, working out, etc that I've forgotten to eat. AND its okay to feel a little hungry, as long as you are eating enough life supporting calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Patience

This ^^ Don't be discouraged by slow weight loss. It's a helluva lot better than no weight loss.
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Get your head right and your body will follow!

Ditto. Educate yourself so you consume healthy calories (vegetables not SlimEzz, Diet Soda, etc.) and log everything before you eat so you only eat what you intend. Sometimes I am so busy with work, shopping, cooking, working out, etc that I've forgotten to eat. AND its okay to feel a little hungry, as long as you are eating enough life supporting calories.

Exactly what I meant!!! Lifetime change...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited September 2015
    beth0277 wrote: »
    I've been a little discouraged at my slow weight loss and need some motivation from those of you who have been successful. So, if you could only give ONE tip that helped you the most during your weight loss, what would it be? It can be anything!

understand that it's a process...a slow one...have patience and be consistent. you don't need motivation, you need discipline...discipline leads to consistency and consistency is what is necessary to achieve your goals. motivation is an overrated and fleeting emotion.

I like to use the school analogy when discussing the process. when you decide to go to school, it can be overwhelming...all of these classes to take...tests and studying and years of work ahead...when you look at it as this big thing, it is daunting to say the least...but when you break it down into process...not so much. it's one class at a time...one semester at a time...you would likely have classes you struggle with and classes you do better in...you don't have to ace everything...you can get Bs and Cs and still graduate. you're not going to ace every test and it's likely you may even fail a test here and there...but if you are disciplined and consistent in what you're doing, eventually you pass classes...semester after semester goes by, as do the years...and finally discipline and consistency will win the day and you will graduate.

weight loss and weight management in general is a similar process.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!