ONE tip from those who have been successful

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Patience...in the form of a long term approach. Like, I'm going to be smaller in a year from now. Not larger. Not the same.

I know a lot of people go into weight loss with the idea of "I am a size 14 (for example) and want to be a size 8 (for example) by Christmas/my wedding/my birthday".

My method was more like I'm going to weigh less in a year...probably at least X number of pounds...the X being a VERY doable goal that I know I can beat. Then if needed, do it again the next year, and forever.
  • likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    A *kitten* called me " Marshmallow Man", so I printed out a picture of him and hung it on my fridge. So whenever I get bored or snacky, it motivates me to leave the kitchen lol. True story. So my tip is let haters or doubters motivate you . Revenge is the greatest success
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Just listen to me..............................................................and be consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Don't Quit
  • 1320GO
    1320GO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Early on I failed at least once a week but continued to log daily and after a month was able to get into a routine where I could avoid calorie spike days. Closing in on 70 days and 20lbs. Gonna hit 100, 300, 500 consecutive days!
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Get your head right and your body will follow!
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I lose very slowly too so I know how difficult it is to stay motivated. Patience and a sense of humor have kept me going.
  • honeybunch656
    honeybunch656 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello definitely tracking.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Food scales. Weigh and log every single thing you put in your mouth.
  • Palmeralex
    Palmeralex Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Learn to love the numbers! Losing weight isn't a faith, like crystals or shamanic chanting. And human biology isn't listening to your mind saying 'you can have a treat from time to time, what the hell I'll have a day off, it's too cold to run today, she can eat what she likes it's not fair I'm going to give up not eating my children's leftovers is wasteful and I don't like waste and I'm not going to log 4 haribos for crying out loud they are only a cm long etc etc etc'. Calories in v calories out is an indisputable scientific reality. Once I accepted that, the weight started to fall off. Data can be beautiful!
  • Palmeralex
    Palmeralex Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Also, free food at work still contains calories unfortunately. That's not a tip, just an observation. :#
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I bought some scales that upload my weight to MFP via wifi - they have been a great tool to help me monitor my weight.
  • hollie894
    hollie894 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet... it's a lifestyle change x
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Palmeralex wrote: »
    Also, free food at work still contains calories unfortunately. That's not a tip, just an observation. :#

Truth! I found this so hard to stop but so worth it. So many hundreds of calories picked up here and there, eating things I didn't even want most of the time.
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Have goals but don't be disappointed if you fall short of reaching them. You will get there, just take it one day at a time.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Never look at it as a temporary situation...it's a lifestyle change.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member
    Options
    Believe in yourself and your self-worth.
  • Alastair007
    Alastair007 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to drink lots of water and log it
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Fact based health and nutrition information. Sometimes you have change things up to get things going again and the last thing you want is eating rice crackers and low fat because you were using old and outdated debunked information.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Remember why you started. For me, I remember I awful I felt physically and mentally before I started. If I'm not going forward, I'm going back to that place. That is what keeps me doing what I need to do.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!