Whole natural peanut butter vs pb2

Options
which one would you rather have ? Whole natural almond/peanut butter (with no oil, no salt , no sugar) but higher calorie about 100cal per tbsp or pb2 (with small amount of sugar and salt) but is 45cal per 2 tbsp?!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I eat full-fat peanut butter because some of the beneficial vitamins are in the fat. I watch the portion that is all.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I eat both - it just depends on which one calorically/macronutiently fits better in my day.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    PB2 tastes like nothing to me. Peanut butter for me.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I just tried PB2 a few days ago. I would rather take the calorie hit with the real stuff.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The proper stuff tastes better but I'm happy to eat both depending if I can fit it into my calories. I have to be mindful with nuts and nut butters and have to preweigh them or I will keep eating them.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've only ever had "real" peanut butter, but if I couldn't fit it into my day, I'd probably try pb2 to see if it would satisfy my peanut butter craving. Maybe try prelogging your day and see which one fits into your goals better.
  • DennyB1964
    DennyB1964 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like PB2 in a chocolate protein shake, but otherwise I just use real peanut butter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    peanut butter has more actual nutrition. dietary fat is essential and peanut butter is a good source of healthy fats.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Erfw7471 wrote: »
    I eat both - it just depends on which one calorically/macronutiently fits better in my day.

This.

PB2 is a decent substitute in some things - for example for a peanut butter flavor addition (eg - I like to mix some in with greek yogurt).

But it's no substitute when the 'real thing' is called for. I tried it once re-constituted with water as a peanut butter substitute on a PB & J and promptly threw it out after one bite.
  • doralim1990
    doralim1990 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've never had pb2 myself either because powdery peanut butter sounds weird for me as i like the crunchy real peanut butter (which satisfy me mostly) and yes do need to watch out the intake or else i'll just put heaps on my food.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    The real stuff.

That would be PB&Co white chocolate wonderful at the moment.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I use pb2 as an additive for a shake

It also is great if you make stir fry and want a peanut flavor added. Put in the soy sauce and then sprinkle some pb2. It gives it a little flavor change up

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I use both. Typically real PB on toast or whatever, unless I'm trying to stay lower cal. PB2 is great for oatmeal, yogurt, etc.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I use pb2 as an additive for a shake

It also is great if you make stir fry and want a peanut flavor added. Put in the soy sauce and then sprinkle some pb2. It gives it a little flavor change up

Hm, hadn't thought about that. I typically just use peanut butter, but you have to use a fair amount of acid (rice vinegar or lime juice) to get it to not be clumpy. PB2 or peanut flour would be a good solution for that...
  • doralim1990
    doralim1990 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    I use both. Typically real PB on toast or whatever, unless I'm trying to stay lower cal. PB2 is great for oatmeal, yogurt, etc.

I normally eat my nut butter with oatmeal and banana, but i still like the crunchy texture of peanut. I might want to try pb2 as i am addicted to nut butter and are trying not to let my calories balooned up
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This^

PB2 is a great way to save calories, as a dip or add-in (oatmeal or Greek yogurt). But as a spread on toast or crackers....nothing beats the real thing.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I am using it for. In smoothies, PB2 since it works better in my blender bottle with my protein powder. But if I'm eating a sandwich or something it's got to be the real stuff.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

This.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    i use them differently (and i dont like the oily natural pb LOL)

i use pb2 on english muffins sometimes for breakfast, but for a sandwich or on graham crackers i use the real stuff.