Shoul I drop to below 100kg (220lb) before I exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• w117seg
    w117seg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    C25K is really just a 10 week program on how to run for 30 minutes straight. As long as you set that expectation ahead of time you are fine. I tried it a few times and could never progress past the stage where you start running 5 minute intervals. I finally made it over that hump when I slowed down. It is hard to run as slow as you need to because you will see so many people on treadmills running 6MPH like its nothing. I had to be around 4.2 when I finally got it.

But once you run 30 minutes at that speed for a week or two you can keep going, and its nothing to add on another 10 minutes to finish that 5K.
  • FatRunningMan1966
    Options
    w117seg wrote: »
    C25K is really just a 10 week program on how to run for 30 minutes straight. As long as you set that expectation ahead of time you are fine. I tried it a few times and could never progress past the stage where you start running 5 minute intervals. I finally made it over that hump when I slowed down. It is hard to run as slow as you need to because you will see so many people on treadmills running 6MPH like its nothing. I had to be around 4.2 when I finally got it.

But once you run 30 minutes at that speed for a week or two you can keep going, and its nothing to add on another 10 minutes to finish that 5K.

Running 30 minutes and still being able to hold a conversation will be s great feeling.

As for today I started with a 2 mile brisk walk just to do Something physical
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm 252 lbs, I jog 4 days a week, and my knees are perfectly healthy. I started my journey at 299 lbs by walking until I built up enough cardio endurance to start C25K.

I would definitely suggest exercising NOW. There's really no reason to wait!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    i am told that running is bad for your knees when u r heavy. I have lost 12lb over the past 4 weeks but slowing down to 1lb a week which is putting me down.

I am already on 1200 calories a day and consume 1500 as I burn an extra 300 walking to/from tube and doing house chores. Should I drop to 800 calories? Or am I being ambitious wanting to lose 2kg a week?

Thanks

power walk
  • kbaker001
    kbaker001 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was 239 lb when I started C25K. I did not have any problems with my knees.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I started running at 240 lbs+. I took it super slow. I could run 1 minuet at a time now I can run for hours. Loose weight slowly and exercise lightly till you build yourself up. Don't try to rush loosing weight it NEVER works.
  • UCCrista
    UCCrista Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would go by the MFP guided goals, instead of going to 800 Calories. Less than 1500 Calories per day for a man is not really healthy, and is it really worth killing your liver to lose weight fast? You can't replace that one.

In any case, I started running when I was just under 300. I love to run. I run more now than I did before, of course. If you want to reduce impact, use an elliptical machine, or - if you are brave - a treadmill. I would recommend the elliptical until you find your pace, stamina, etc. Some days I run outside, others on a treadmill, and yet others I do the elliptical. I would not use an elliptical trainer (with the arms), it is not a running movement, it's skiing.