Options
1235»

Replies

• ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Can you eat a pound of lentils, a pound of rice, and a pound of oatmeal with some vegetables peppered in there for 10 days straight?
    More like 3 pounds of each over 10 days.

To answer your question though, it is *extremely* common for poor people to subsist on a single grain like rice or flour. The Irish drove themselves to a Malthusian exodus due to over-population eating just potatoes.

A staples based diet in the US affords extra-ordinary variety on the really cheap.
    I said lentils, but there are dozens of easily available legumes, peas and beans.
    Soy and Tofu are really cheap
    Flours of wheat, corn and rye just require cooking and baking.
    Rolled oatmeal is fantastic
    In season fruits and vegetables are $1 a pound or thereabouts.

And yes, I can (and do) eat a diet very similar to the above. I'm not poor; I eat this way because I *like* a staples based diet and I am Vegan for the past 40 years. I am still alive, and I still have fingernails and hair. This week I underwent a VO2 max test out of curiosity and came out 'good' for a person 15 years younger. Not bad for someone who up until July had been sedentary for years.
    You are welcome to view my eating habits as logged. They are somewhat restricted because I am dieting so the grains are absent.

If you want to see lots of examples of limited variety diets, look at animal products eaters:
    'steak and eggs and potatoes and pig'
    'chicken, pasta and eggs'
    'cereal, pizza and McDonalds'

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    ChefRamsay wrote: »
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    You're bound to be deficient in your dietary fat and protein macros as well as more than a couple micronutrients with most of these plain rice and oatmeal meals people are suggesting. It's just very unhealthy.
    You are misinformed.

Take advantage of MFP and look up the nutrient analysis of a staple based diet.
    As for essential FFA, take a look at this table:

c5wrkmv7qd0m.jpg

Honestly, no. But thanks. It's funny that you trust mfp recommendations by the way.

Also, what are you trying to accomplish with that chart? That is just breaking down omega 3 and 6 intake rates. To even suggest optimal omega 6 is actually kind of funny. And the omega 3 chart ignores epa and dha for adults for ala, which is also funny.

How many times do I have to tell you STOP PLAYING ON YOUR PHONE WHILE AT WORK. Those dishes aren't going to wash themselves.

:lol:
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Honestly, no. But thanks. It's funny that you trust mfp recommendations by the way.

Also, what are you trying to accomplish with that chart? That is just breaking down omega 3 and 6 intake rates. To even suggest optimal omega 6 is actually kind of funny. And the omega 3 chart ignores epa and dha for adults for ala, which is also funny.
    MFP for calories and protein.

What do you find funny in knowing the RDA of the essential FFAs ?
    If you want to tilt at windmills over fat intake, you start with the RDAs and then look up their content in the food staples mentioned.

Want to stay ignorant ? Fine; I've wasted enough time with you.

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    ChefRamsay wrote: »
    You're bound to be deficient in your dietary fat and protein macros as well as more than a couple micronutrients with most of these plain rice and oatmeal meals people are suggesting. It's just very unhealthy.
    You are misinformed.

Take advantage of MFP and look up the nutrient analysis of a staple based diet.
    As for essential FFA, take a look at this table:

c5wrkmv7qd0m.jpg

How many times do I have to tell you STOP PLAYING ON YOUR PHONE WHILE AT WORK. Those dishes aren't going to wash themselves.

Lol, nice name troll boy.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    What do you find funny in knowing the RDA of the essential FFAs ?
    If you want to tilt at windmills over fat intake, you start with the RDAs and then look up their content in the food staples mentioned.

Want to stay ignorant ? Fine; I've wasted enough time with you.

It's not ignorance. Your rationale is just idiotic. So are your charts.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    A bottle of wine! Oh you mean food?
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Look for whatever meats are on sale at the grocery store and buy up. Rice is also very cheap and filling. Lentils are my favorite and cheap where I'm at. Depends on demographics and such. I eat all meats and I'm full.
This discussion has been closed.