Cheese and weight loss

Options

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I find it more satisfying to eat small portions of really good cheese than a lot of bad cheese. An ounce of robusto, brie, or roquefort leaves me feeling a lot better than 4 ounces of commercial cheddar. And it's more expensive, so I buy less of it, meaning there's less on hand to gorge on. Add an ounce of ruby port for additional flavor without too many more calories.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I dropped three sizes in 12 weeks eating 3 oz of cheese (minimum) every day.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I eat all the cheese pretty much on a daily basis. I don't want to live in a world where cheese exists but isn't in my mouth. I just weigh it in ounces and eat it according to serving size and most of the time more if it fits my macros.

I also indulge in all those "bad foods" a few times a week and it hasn't hindered my weight loss one bit.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Low fat cheeses I guess? The only cheese I really have been eating is Cottage, which is real good for you, BUT I occasionally top something with some cheddar, but less than a serving's worth. I have adjusted my taste buds accordingly, too much cheddar is either too salty, or even too greasy.

I got Mozzarella this time though, so I can even get a "better" cheese consumed.

In reality? Moderation is the key. I wouldn't advise having "bad" cheese everyday, but yeah, I consider Feta, Swiss, Cottage(all lower in sodium and fat), and a few other healthy choices compared to the American (crap) Cheese, and even Cheddar... But really.. there's none better than Cheddar.. YUM.

If you want to get the nutrition cheese offers, switch to Low-Fat or Non-Fat Yogurt, that is MUCH more beneficial for you.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    :heart: Cheese! Yay cheese!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I love dairy products. I eat cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream and yogurt all the time. My scale doesn't show much of a loss recently because I have been more concerned about meeting my daily requirements than meeting a calorie goal. I've lost 3+ lbs in the last few weeks. There are great nutrients in dairy and unless you have a sensitivity or medical condition, no real reason to give them up.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Another cheese eater here! I can't imagine .myself not eating it! :embarassed: I have it on most says,usually no more than 2 oz, if I find I had a little too much, I'll just go a few days without it. I'm really thinking that variety and moderation is the way to go!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything that is a "real" food is bad for you - portion/moderation is the only thing I think you need to consider. If I'm eating something that is higher calorie to begin with (tacos) then I'll skip sprinkling cheese on it because I'm already getting plenty of flavor, etc. and it isn't needed - it's just adding calories but for a sandwich, I always use a slice of cheese.
    A taco is a sandwich.:huh:
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese at least a few times a week. As a vegetarian, it's one of my sources of protein.
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I confess I love cheese. I will allow and allocate cheese to have on "date nights" - no wine (don't drink it) and get the lower fat/calorie options of cheese and use plain water crackers. I will also add lower calorie cheese to my sandwich for lunch if i'm having salad and no meat.

I do have other dairy - especially yogurts daily. I love greek yogurt or natural yogurt with berries mmmm.

All are weighed and logged :)
  • patronussky
    Options
    There is no circumstances ever in which I would never not eat cheese. It's obviously high in fat and calories, but if you enjoy it just work it into your diet sensibly and don't over do it :)
  • fakeuntilumakeit
    Options
    Watched a programme on this argument the other week, they had two diet groups one cutting out dairy and one enjoying a balanced daily intake of cheese, yogurt, milk etc. They even measured fat in poo (YUK) as well as short term and long term weight loss. They compared this over other longterm studies and guess what ............the dairy eaters weighed less and maintained weight loss better and for longer. The science bit .....Seemed something in the dairy helped stop fat absorption in the gut, as a higher amount showed in the poo. I assume similarly to some of theses fat metaboliser pills.

Anyway I am aware that many studies have bias etc and science arguments etc etc etc, and I am no expert etc etc and base this on my memory of the programme etc etc but although I've cut back on the stuff, this is enough for me to carry ion enjoying the stuff. YUM.
  • kittie4171
    Options
    I eat cheese daily and still have lost. I could never give up cheese:love:
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ive cut out dairy to very rarely, It was part of my being fat in the first place problem, same with bread, crisps and biscuits.
    Congratulations to those who can fit everything into their macros and calorie goal. I certainly cant :smile:
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese a few times a week. Parmesan on pasta, cheddar or double gloucester cheese on a home made hamburger, a little cheese into an omelette. Ok, it is a little bit high in calories but it can work. I always always always weigh it or you can really add a load of calories unintentionally. I use the fine grater section of my grater as it makes a little go a long way.......
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cheese is food - it's got protein, fat, calcium and a fair few calories, it is neither "good" or "bad".
    That it is calorie dense also doesn't make it a "bad" choice.

Work out your calories and then your macros and enjoy it.

If you are concerned about portion size then a strong flavoured cheese like mature Cheddar, Parmesan, Roquefort etc. will go a lot further flavour-wise than a mild tasting cheese.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    hi cutie
    i get my calcium from milk n cheese so some is ok, its all in moderation
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I am a huge cheese lover but I've switched to low fat cheese now (most of the time)... just too many calories in regular cheese!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I could never give up cheese and I could be wrong about this but low fat lacey swiss is the best cheese I have found in terms of calories, fat and sodium.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Cheese is delicious.

Eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your daily macronutrient goals. I don't go out of my way to eat cheese normally, but I think it's rare that I don't get some of it any given day.

I had half a huge pot of cheddar fondue on Thursday. It was glorious.