13»

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    nm212 wrote: »
    I love black beans! Here are some ideas for meals:

Black bean burger

Curious about this one -- do you have a good recipe you like?

@abetterluke - this recipe for black bean burgers is SO GOOD!

Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayo

That looks fantastic. Adding that to my menu soon!

I hope you do. They are ridiculously good - the first time I made them years ago I puréed some roasted red peppers instead of the chipotle for half of my guests. Amazing
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I love black beans, but probably don't eat them a much as I should after seeing all these great ideas. I love them on a taco salad. Actually love them at Chili's with the fajitas. Love them but canned usually don't have any seasonings on them. I will have to try some of these ideas on seasoning them. Black bean salsa is awesome. The paul newman black bean and corn salsa is super good. I am sure the home made is great, I will have to try that. I put some in quesadillas with a little chicken and salsa, side dish for tacos. I will have to try them with eggs since so many have suggested it. Thanks for the ideas.
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Taco soup! I made it last night. 1 lb ground turkey cooked with 1 packet low sodium taco seasoning & a little water. Add that to a crock pot with 1 can black beans, 1 can kidney beans, 1 can diced tomatoes with chilies, 1 can regular diced tomatoes, 1 can of corn & a 32 oz box of fat free chicken broth. I threw a little extra garlic powder in and a little water...but its awesome and gives you many meals. My boyfriend adds rice to his & I top mine with shredded lettuce and a dollop of greek yogurt.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite, super-simple ways to make black beans is this:

Drain and rinse one can of black beans.
    Add to a small pot with some water (maybe about 1/4 cup).
    Add a couple tablespoons of taco seasoning. (I mix my own and always have a container of it on hand.)
    Simmer the beans until they are heated through and the water/taco seasoning create a nice coating on the beans. (Of course, you can always leave them saucy.)
    You can adjust the water and taco seasoning quantities to your taste/desire.

I use this as meat substitute in many dishes - I add it to salads, use it in tacos, make it into quesadillas, top nachos with it, eat it with veggies and brown rice or quinoa. It's very versatile and it seriously takes about 10 minutes, total, to put together.
  • blueriotgirl
    blueriotgirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I actually made stuffed peppers with chop meat black and red kidney beans chiles and some onions and diced tomatos they were awesome. Even my kids ate them!
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If I buy dried beans, I bake them in the oven. No soaking required. Just cover with water, put a lid on the casserole, and bake at 325 degrees for an hour and a half. Check them once in a while and add more water if they are looking dry. Cook a little longer if they aren't tender - sometimes older beans need a bit longer to soften up.

For black beans and rice, I generally use canned beans for convenience, as we can whip up this meal quickly. Goya black beans cost a bit more, but I like them much better than other brands. Goya makes a seasoning mix called Sazon. I always use the con culantro y achiote kind. I saute onion, garlic, and green pepper, then add the rinsed and drained beans and Sazon. I learned this recipe in college and was told this is a Puerto Rican preparation.

Goya also makes two seasonings that come in jars or frozen - recaito (green cilantro based seasoning) and sofrito (red tomato based seasoning). Either one is good either mixed in the black beans or mixed in with the rice. To reduce the calorie density of the meal, I often add a can or more of diced tomatoes. I especially like to add cans with jalepeno or diced green chilies. I am happy with a 50/50 mix of beans and tomatoes. My husband likes to mix in a bag of frozen corn when he is cooking, which is fine for variety but can be a bit rough on the digestive system.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I make a faux chipotle burrito bowl with black beans soyr crwam rice guac abd mozerella! Also cook a corn tortilla til light brown top with beans sour cream lettuce tomato avacado. Black beans and chicken. Black beans salad, black bean tuna salad, black bean cowboy caviar!