Stop sabotaging your body! Easier said then done.

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I'm always asking this and am NOT trying to start a fight, but am genuinely curious. If you cut out fruits and veggies, where are you getting your vitamins and minerals?

multi?

Not the same

How do you figure?

No fiber for one

I'm not sure if you are aware but there are other sources of fiber

Oh really, I did not know that.

Micro nutrients not found in a multi-vitamin.

quoted for posterity

What does that mean?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm always asking this and am NOT trying to start a fight, but am genuinely curious. If you cut out fruits and veggies, where are you getting your vitamins and minerals?
    Where do you see people cutting out fruits and vegetables here?

To be fair, the OP did say she was cutting out sugar - which my initial reaction too was to inquire if that meant she was no longer going to eat fruit.
    I guess it depends on whether the "or" is meant to connect "processed" only to "food" or also to "sugar."

It's been my experience that people will say they mean to stop eating added sugar, not sugar naturally found in the fruit.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Just about anything other than onomatopoeia is easier said than done.

Do what works for you, but counting calories achieves a lot for many people.

I couldn't agree more! It helps when you're counting the right calories like how many in almonds and sweet potato rather than how many calories in icecream and chocolate

It matters not

Maybe this is part of some newfangled math program. Common Core maybe?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

To be fair, the OP did say she was cutting out sugar - which my initial reaction too was to inquire if that meant she was no longer going to eat fruit.
    I guess it depends on whether the "or" is meant to connect "processed" only to "food" or also to "sugar."

It's been my experience that people will say they mean to stop eating added sugar, not sugar naturally found in the fruit.

Oh I agree that's probably what the OP meant and what her response would be if someone inquired directly if by cutting out sugar, that meant that she wasn't going to eat ANY sugar, even that in fruits, vegetables, dairy, etc. Because then we inevitably get the discussion of biochemical pathways and how your body can't tell the difference b/w sugar from an apple and sugar from a snickers. Then someone brings up the straw man debate of, "of course you can eat a diet of all snickers and lose weight, but you won't be healthy", and someone says, "who said anything about eating 1500 cals of snickers".

Sigh. Another day on MFP...

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh look, it's been so long since we had a thread demonizing sugar.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I guess if one wants to go without sugar, that's fine with me - we all make our own choices for one reason or another. What I did not get is this:
    I decided to redownload this app, not to count calories cause that achieves nothing but just so this time round I can keep accountability while trying to now factor in exercise.

Unless I am misunderstanding or misreading, but counting calories ..... does achieve...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I couldn't agree more! It helps when you're counting the right calories like how many in almonds and sweet potato rather than how many calories in icecream and chocolate

what exactly are the "right calories"?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's like counting the right inches.

(Although now that sounds dirty.)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Ooooh, I see. As opposed to the wrong ones?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    From offal I'd imagine. I think I remember reading somewhere that the Low Carb group did a meat only challenge a while back.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Isn't coffee a processed food?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

Good point.
  • gracehannah
    gracehannah Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    f

I didn't, I still eat fruit veggies meat and all things natural :)
  • gracehannah
    Options
    I

It's true I should have specified I still eat sugars when they come in their natural forms e.g. Strawberries yum!
  • gracehannah
    Options
    T
    MasterVal wrote: »
    I guess if one wants to go without sugar, that's fine with me - we all make our own choices for one reason or another. What I did not get is this:
    I decided to redownload this app, not to count calories cause that achieves nothing but just so this time round I can keep accountability while trying to now factor in exercise.

Unless I am misunderstanding or misreading, but counting calories ..... does achieve...

cause that achieves nothing for my body specifically*

Should have specified, my apologies :)
  • gracehannah
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

Ooooh, I see. As opposed to the wrong ones?

Sorry, in my own opinion, right calories to me is calories contained in natural food. I view counting the wrong calories as calories that are found in processed foods.

Again only my personal opinion and what I've experienced in my body :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It's true I should have specified I still eat sugars when they come in their natural forms e.g. Strawberries yum!
    @winogelato

"Because then we inevitably get the discussion of biochemical pathways and how your body can't tell the difference b/w sugar from an apple a strawberry and sugar from a snickers. Then someone brings up the straw man debate of, 'of course you can eat a diet of all snickers and lose weight, but you won't be healthy', and someone says, 'who said anything about eating 1500 cals of snickers'.

Sigh. Another day on MFP achieving nothing except triple digit weight loss, good blood pressure, and good blood work by counting the wrong calories..."
  • gracehannah
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »

Good point.

That it is I inserted it in brackets to infer that I understand it's still processed, it's the only thing I couldn't give up.

I'm not a 100% purist but for the sake of coffee I'm ok with that!