Anyone Successfully Quit Sugar?

Options

Replies

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I would assume since its a hormone balancing diet this is doctor recommended?
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I've been 98% off obvious sugar for 2 months, no honey or any effective sugar like stuff - just decided one day and went cold turkey. I wasn't super high on sugar, but a coffee yogurt every night and a chocolate bar once a week, and maple syrup on a home made gluten free waffle adds up.

I still have a small quantity [3 tablespoons a day of a pasta sauce I love that has some sugar. Two days go I switched that to tomato paste. Two weeks ago I went ketogenic when I realized many carbs are sugar in disguise.
    I have been sugar free 2months by going ketogenic. Its not for everyone but works for me. Never felt so positive and full of energy

• BlueSkiesGirl
    BlueSkiesGirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank-you for all of these posts. I really appreciate the info espceicially the two people who mentioned that it helped them with chronic pain control and energy. This is one of the major issues that I am hoping that it will help with.

For the people who did it gradually, what steps did you follow? (Thanks to the person who mentioned the pasta to tomato paste gradual transition...)

BSG
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Never. But I've tried many times, especially since logging and realizing just how much sugar I'm really eating all day!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I'd hope you wouldn't switch from a pre-made pasta sauce to tomato paste, as tomato paste on pasta doesn't sound good at all. It's really easy to make pasta sauces at home and add no sugar if you prefer (I've never added sugar to any of mine).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    I've been 98% off obvious sugar for 2 months, no honey or any effective sugar like stuff - just decided one day and went cold turkey. I wasn't super high on sugar, but a coffee yogurt every night and a chocolate bar once a week, and maple syrup on a home made gluten free waffle adds up.

I still have a small quantity [3 tablespoons a day of a pasta sauce I love that has some sugar. Two days go I switched that to tomato paste. Two weeks ago I went ketogenic when I realized many carbs are sugar in disguise.
    I have been sugar free 2months by going ketogenic. Its not for everyone but works for me. Never felt so positive and full of energy

Just out of curiosity, if you really weren't consuming that much sugar, why did you feel you should try to give it up?

Also, what do you mean when you say many carbs are sugar in disguise?

• WinoGelato
    Options
    Hello,

I would like to quit sugar as part of a hormonal balancing diet ...

Has anyone quit sugar successfully and if so please share your story.

THanks!

What is this hormonal balancing diet, and how does sugar impact it relative to other foods/food groups?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I would like to quit sugar as part of a hormonal balancing diet ...

Has anyone quit sugar successfully and if so please share your story.

THanks!

I eat very little added sugar...really, only occasions like birthdays and such where there is cake or pie. I will have the occasional soda...like maybe 3-5 per year.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It's funny how a chemical compound can get such a different level of acceptance depending on how it is ingested although the compound remains chemically constant.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    It's funny how a chemical compound can get such a different level of acceptance depending on how it is ingested although the compound remains chemically constant.
    I think a better way to approach this would be, "I am trying to reduce my calorie intake, and reducing foods with added sugars seem like a good place to start because generally they are the most calorie dense variety..."
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I think a better way to approach this would be, "I am trying to reduce my calorie intake, and reducing foods with added sugars seem like a good place to start because generally they are the most calorie dense variety..."

I think that is totally reasonable and would provoke far fewer arguments...

Even better if the person said, "I've been diligently tracking my calories and macros for several weeks now and have noticed that a disproportionately large percentage of my calories come from foods with added sugars..."

• J72FIT
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Even better if the person said, "I've been diligently tracking my calories and macros for several weeks now and have noticed that a disproportionately large percentage of my calories come from foods with added sugars..."
    Agreed...

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

If only that were how people presented the subject. It isn't. Thread after thread gets started that demonize sugar while trying to claim that a molecule somehow has different properties depending on how it is consumed. The approach that WineGelato proposed requires analysis when simply ranting that X (sugars, fats, grains, whatever the scapegoat de jour happens to be) is "bad" is so much easier.
  • J72FIT
    Options

If only that were how people presented the subject. It isn't. Thread after thread gets started that demonize sugar while trying to claim that a molecule somehow has different properties depending on how it is consumed. The approach that WineGelato proposed requires analysis when simply ranting that X (sugars, fats, grains, whatever the scapegoat de jour happens to be) is "bad" is so much easier.
    Yep...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Exactly this.

Or I am trying to reduce my calorie intake, so will start by cutting way down on less filling, lower nutrient, and higher calorie items.

For many that would be sugary foods, although for others it might not be much of that, but more fries or chips or some such.

For me it was takeout Indian food. (Which isn't really low nutrient, but was unnecessarily high in calories for something I had as often as I did.)
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Exactly this.

Or I am trying to reduce my calorie intake, so will start by cutting way down on less filling, lower nutrient, and higher calorie items.

For many that would be sugary foods, although for others it might not be much of that, but more fries or chips or some such.

For me it was takeout Indian food. (Which isn't really low nutrient, but was unnecessarily high in calories for something I had as often as I did.)

Great now I'm craving Tikka Masala, Naan, and Samosas with Chutney. Why do you sabotage me @lemurcat12? Why!?

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I haven't quit sugar but I do try to keep my sugar levels down (below the goal MFP sets for me if possible), and now consume far less than I used to.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have largely eliminated sugar from my life. I think I usually have between 0-7 g of sugar per day. The sugars I do get are from low GI fruits (avocado, berries, cucumbers, tomatoes) or from processed foods like a pepperoni stick.

I started eating a very LCHF diet to stop the prediabetes I am developing. I was not overweight by much, and am now not overweight, so simply losing weight wasn't enough to help me. I also wanted help with my autoimmune arthritis and my knee and hip osteoarthritis. I needed to reduce inflammation because OA, and that much pain, was ridiculous for someone in her late thirties, early forties who enjoys sports. My pain has decreased by a large amount, especially my AI arthritis. My OA has improved, but there are bone issues now that a good diet won't fix... It did help though. As a bonus, my skin cleared up, my hair thickened, migraines went away, I have more energy, and I am noticeably sharper mentally - I didn't realize how foggy I was until I got out of it.

I eat to be in ketosis. The first week or so were tough. I didn't up my sodium, potassium, and magnesium enough to avoid the keto flu. I feel very good now though, and a nice benefit was that I found it much easier to eat at a caloric deficit and lose weight.

I would recommend it.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    So many pretty snow flakes in here!!!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    So many pretty snow flakes in here!!!!

Grow up.