Replies

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    jmule24 wrote: »
    So many pretty snow flakes in here!!!!

Grow up.

Wut? I didn't even read your post until now.....

With that said..... your n=1 arguement is let's just say "woo"
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    It's funny how a chemical compound can get such a different level of acceptance depending on how it is ingested although the compound remains chemically constant.
    I think a better way to approach this would be, "I am trying to reduce my calorie intake, and reducing foods with added sugars seem like a good place to start because generally they are the most calorie dense variety..."

I think that is totally reasonable and would provoke far fewer arguments...

Even better if the person said, "I've been diligently tracking my calories and macros for several weeks now and have noticed that a disproportionately large percentage of my calories come from foods with added sugars..."

It sounds like you are saying the person writing the post is accountable for how other people choose to respond to it, and placing the responsibility for those responses on the OP, rather than the person responding. I don't see anything in the OP that is controversial, so I'm not sure how it is provoking arguments.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I would like to quit sugar as part of a hormonal balancing diet ...

Has anyone quit sugar successfully and if so please share your story.

THanks!

@BlueSkiesGirl I quit sugar successfully for pain management. When in 30 days the pain dropped from a subjective 7-8 level to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale I made this way of eating (5% carbs, 15% protein and the rest fats) my eating lifestyle. A year later the pain is still manage, I daily eat until I am stuffed, IBS was cured within six months, lab results continue improve and my weight continues to drop if I do not eat over 2600 calories a day permitting me to now be under 200 pounds for the first time in 22 years.

Learning that eating carbs are not a requirement for quality health by humans help permit me to break my emotional need for carbs.

In the real world very few will ever walk away from most sugar be it sodas, apples or ice cream because there may be no medical reason for them to do so. No one else in the house has given up sugar and it is everywhere I look. However they fully can see how removing sugar from my life has made mine and their lives better since I no longer have sugar crashes and get meaner than a Junk Yard dog. :)

I've heard that story before. :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Hello,

THanks!

@BlueSkiesGirl I quit sugar successfully for pain management. When in 30 days the pain dropped from a subjective 7-8 level to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale I made this way of eating (5% carbs, 15% protein and the rest fats) my eating lifestyle. A year later the pain is still manage, I daily eat until I am stuffed, IBS was cured within six months, lab results continue improve and my weight continues to drop if I do not eat over 2600 calories a day permitting me to now be under 200 pounds for the first time in 22 years.

Learning that eating carbs are not a requirement for quality health by humans help permit me to break my emotional need for carbs.

In the real world very few will ever walk away from most sugar be it sodas, apples or ice cream because there may be no medical reason for them to do so. No one else in the house has given up sugar and it is everywhere I look. However they fully can see how removing sugar from my life has made mine and their lives better since I no longer have sugar crashes and get meaner than a Junk Yard dog. :)

I've heard that story before. :)

ad nauseam
  • Serah87
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    It's funny how a chemical compound can get such a different level of acceptance depending on how it is ingested although the compound remains chemically constant.
    I think a better way to approach this would be, "I am trying to reduce my calorie intake, and reducing foods with added sugars seem like a good place to start because generally they are the most calorie dense variety..."

Even better if the person said, "I've been diligently tracking my calories and macros for several weeks now and have noticed that a disproportionately large percentage of my calories come from foods with added sugars..."

It sounds like you are saying the person writing the post is accountable for how other people choose to respond to it, and placing the responsibility for those responses on the OP, rather than the person responding. I don't see anything in the OP that is controversial, so I'm not sure how it is provoking arguments.

She didn't say the OP, she was just making a statement.

We all know that every time sugar threads are started it turns into a train wreck of sugar is the devil.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

FWIW - OP "subject" is scientifically flawed......
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    OP I'm not sure what hormonal balance your seeking but this week I maintained my calories from last week, increased by sensitivity to XXXXXX by running/cycling/lifting/walking. My cortisol hormone is in balance since my stress decreases as a result of the above movement. Hormones are like whack-a-mole. . . .you can't just try to look at one in a vacuum. Maybe you can with a Dyson. IDK.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    beliwoohoo wrote: »
    Ps I would bet Blue Skies Girl is Australian (as am I). There is a diet movement to quit sugar here which refers to processed foods. Google "I quit sugar". : )

I don't understand why a government would try to promote something that a population at large is going to be quite unlikely to do (NO sugar at all) vs. trying to encourage the kinds of more moderate, sensible cultural things that many of us grew up with and that were common until recently. Specifically, having something sweet occasionally, as a small dessert or after-school snack, and only if you ate a nutritious meal with vegetables. The problem isn't that humans like and want to eat the occasional sweetened thing--it's the complete lack of restraint where people eat them at all times and huge quantities and don't do enough exercise to account for the calories, etc.

At least, that's what I see in the US.

The "I quit sugar" is not an Australian government program. Government guidelines do suggest moderation. The biggest push is against the overconsumption of calorific beverages and the increased reliance on highly processed food compared to whole foods and downward trend of activity of a, by and large, non calorie counting, macro aware population.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I eat almost no added sugar. The first week or so I had a lot of cravings, but after that it got much easier. Now, I almost never get cravings, I have much more energy, I don't get energy swings like I used to.

It just makes sticking to a healthy eating plan much easier for me. Best change to my diet I've ever made.
  • Serah87
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have plenty of energy all day long and I eat refine sugary food. So not sure what that has to do with it. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

We all know that every time sugar threads are started it turns into a train wreck of sugar is the devil.

Yes, speaking in general terms and specifically responding to the two posters above me who were referencing people who post that they want to quit sugar for weight loss (which actually this OP mentioned doing it for hormonal imbalance which is why I inquired above how sugar intake impacts hormonal balance, I truly have no experience with that and am curious).

But I do believe, as @Serah87 points out, many of these threads devolve quickly and I think some of that could be avoided if posters specified:
    1. What exactly they are trying to reduce (added sugars? Refined sugars? All sugars? Same with carbs)
    2. Whether they are doing so for medical reasons or to control calories
    3. What analysis they've done or research led them to this conclusion that they should try this.

Come to think of it, if a person did all of the above, they probably wouldn't need to post on the forums asking the question in the first place...

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I was going to say in threads like this the statements: 'Sugar isn't the devil' and 'there's sugar in fruit and veg' are normally spouted by the pro sugar lot, sometimes provocatively!

In this thread I think we know who it was!! :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    jo5kkikm2wlb.png
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I think in a lot (not all) but a lot of cases this is what the OP means.

Some of them just don't understand the rules of MFP and the need for exact wording.
  • Serah87
    Options

I was going to say in threads like this the statements: 'Sugar isn't the devil' and 'there's sugar in fruit and veg' are normally spouted by the pro sugar lot, sometimes provocatively!

In this thread I think we know who it was!! :)

Yep, you do. ;)
  • rbee2015
    rbee2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Heck no....coconut sugar is awesome (everything in moderation)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hello,

THanks!

Quit? No. Be very mindful of added sugars? Yes. I stopped eating candy, pastries etc. about 14 years ago when I lost my weight. Went cold turkey. Later I added *some* dark chocolate. That's about it. I'm careful about hidden added sugars too. It can be done. And man did it make losing weight easier and has been the key to me keeping it off. No more blood sugar crashes and ravenous freakish hunger and cravings. Cheers.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

If only that were how people presented the subject. It isn't. Thread after thread gets started that demonize sugar while trying to claim that a molecule somehow has different properties depending on how it is consumed. The approach that WineGelato proposed requires analysis when simply ranting that X (sugars, fats, grains, whatever the scapegoat de jour happens to be) is "bad" is so much easier.

I spent a couple days arguing with someone that your body doesn't recognize naturally occurring sugar differently than added sugar.

Yeah it's best to limit added sugar, but that's because it's very hard to limit naturally occurring sugar.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I would assume since its a hormone balancing diet this is doctor recommended?

I'd like to hear the answer to this question.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Three years ago I gave up eating lollies completely, and quit eating sweet foods while at work. I gained 8 kg.

5 months ago I started counting calories, and while I gave up soft drinks completely, I still eat KFC, McDonald's, chocolate and icecream in moderation, and I've lost 18 kgs.

Cutting out sugars doesn't cause weight loss. Watching your calorie intake does.