I think I will just QUIT! This is nonsense...

Options

Replies

• kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    So you are already slim, assuming your profile picture is recent and you've lost 5lbs in 4 weeks and an inch off your *kitten* in the last couple of months........... Oh and you just put your calories UP to 1200.

You are absolutely right, you should give up immediately!

Spend a couple of weeks regularly reading info on this site and do a little research into diet, weight loss, body image etc

Then come back and try again!!
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    5 pounds a month x 12 months = 60 pounds.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Sorry to point it out but the smaller you are when you start off the slower the weight loss. Your only looking to lose 10-15 pounds you cant realistically expect that to happen in one month. If you were obese or were looking to loose 100 pounds then perhaps.

Also a 1.25 pounds a week = 5 pounds in a month is great.

This is the reality of weight loss like it or not. Keep at it and dont expect miracles over night.
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    5 lbs a month is pretty great especially when you're so close to your goal. Stick with it and you'll get there. Also, a positive attitude will take you far.
    "Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I bust my *kitten* also. Like, BIG time. I'd LOVE to lose 5 lbs a month, and I have a LOT more to lose then you as well as a lot more lean mass. If it was really that easy every one would by thin all the time! Remember that 5 lbs a month is 60 lbs a year. And an inch is huge improvement. Don't knock it, that is fantastic progress for someone as close to goal weight as yourself. As for myself, I believe I need to reevaluate my caloric balance because the math just isn't working, no matter what formulas say.

As for your 1lb weight gain, I fluctuate up to 8lbs EVERY DAY. Inches are a better measure than lbs.

Because you have little to lose your progress will be slow. But progress is progress. You should be thinking long term. You want to keep your results the rest of your life. So what does an extra month really matter? It'll come off...

Consistent persistence will always win, no matter how long it takes. There is no quick fix so you may as well establish a routine you can stick to for life. BTW resistance training is also superior to cardio in a deficit.

One last thing: weight loss happens in the kitchen. Fitness happens in the gym. The two often go hand in hand but if you put your efforts where your goals are you will get better results.
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Took me a year to lose 39 pounds at an average of 3 pounds a month, so I think 5 pounds in 1 month is pretty good. Maybe reevaluate your expectations......are they realistic?
  • veronicad68
    Options
    1200 calories is WAY TOO little! You are causing metabolic damage!! Stop the cardio and start lifting weights and by all means EAT MORE!!!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You're only eating 1200 calories....

1) are you sure? Are you weighing and measuring everything? 1200 calories isn't enough for a woman who is 5'8".

2) only doing cardio. And probably overestimating its burn.

3) water weight. You're probably retaining water. Weight fluctuates all day long.

4) go by your measurements instead of freaking out about 2 pounds on the scale. You'll feel better. 1 inch off the hips is 1 inch off the hips.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You're only eating 1200 calories....

1) are you sure? Are you weighing and measuring everything? 1200 calories isn't enough for a woman who is 5'8".

2) only doing cardio. And probably overestimating its burn.

3) water weight. You're probably retaining water. Weight fluctuates all day long.

4) go by your measurements instead of freaking out about 2 pounds on the scale. You'll feel better. 1 inch off the hips is 1 inch off the hips.

^All of this..plus what veronicad68 said. When I did only cardio, I barely lost inches. Focusing more on weight training has been awesome because I would rather lose inches versus the scale #.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Quiting might be the right thing for you to do. One has to really want it to "do it." Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do to accomplish what you want.

Shirley in Oregon (loves MFP)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Don't forget your goody bag before you leave! Thanks for coming! :flowerforyou:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    You're totally right. Just quit.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    good decision!
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    5-lbs-of-fat.jpg

This is what you lost in a month girl!!! That's awesome progress! Don't be so bummed out about it.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    1200 is not enough if you are working out....
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You lost 5 lbs in a month, so what's the problem??????
  • KDGMOM
    KDGMOM Posts: 1
    Options
    Oh please don't QUIT!! You are doing workouts and really doing such a wonderful thing for your body!! Maybe drink more water? I chug it every day, even when I do not want any more. In my situation, I cannot quit, this has been a lifestyle change for me and I am going to eat this way and exercise this way for the rest of my life. You and I both will have good days and bad days, maybe even stretching into good weeks and bad weeks. Please hang in there, you are SO worth it and I really think 5 pounds in a month is still "good". Granted, I understand it's not ideal, we all want to lose 10-15 per month when we feel like we're killing ourselves working out. Do you feel extra tired? When I worked out too much one month, I was SO tired and my weight loss was at a stand-still. It was discouraging until I realized I was really over-working myself, and our systems actually shut down when they feel threatened by too much work, like lots of workouts.
    Sorry to ramble, but I hope this helps.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Five lbs in a month is actually really good.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Go to your local Library and check out a book on metabolism, and nutrition. Jullian Michaels has a great one about having a similar problem and finding the solution. Just a thought.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    136 @ 5'8 is fantastic. I hope you someday will see that. If you don't now, you don't. I just hope you get there.