304 lbs???? How did that happen

Options
Looking for friends who are on the same journey as me, 180 lbs to loose. Haven't set a goal weight yet. All friends welcome.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Read the sticky posts at the top of each forum. Read as many threads as you can. Information and self education is power! Lots of people here have done what you are setting out to do.

SW 301
    CW 196
    GW 150
  • rozznc
    rozznc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Elshe1977 wrote: »
    Looking for friends who are on the same journey as me, 180 lbs to loose. Haven't set a goal weight yet. All friends welcome.

Hi, we on the same journey!! Good luck!

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Start by simply logging what you would eat on a typical day and it'll be obvious how 304 pounds happened. :smile:

Get used to logging everything you eat. Buy a kitchen scale and weigh as much of your food as you can. The actual size of a serving of a particular food can be very eye-opening.

Don't be discouraged by the days where you slip up and go over your calories; days like that will happen at some point. Learn from the experience and move on. Tomorrow is always another day.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    At my highest I was 350, I'm currently at 265, with a first goal of 175. I feel it's completely attainable and sustainable. I've fluctuated between 270 and 300, up and down time and time again. I'm finally losing NEW WEIGHT!
  • Maryks23
    Maryks23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    310 lbs here and I feel the same way! Holy crap how did I even let this happen? I recommend joining groups and logging your food. Start slow if you have to start slow! I zeroed in on my main problems and have now successfully dropped energy drinks, soda/pop and sweets from my diet (other than the occasional treat of course :3)
  • kevinanderson520562
    Options
    I started out at over 500 lbs. I spent a few years calorie counting and spending 2-3 hours a day in the gym (easy to do when you have no social life). I got all the way down to 230 lbs. Then I lost my job and spent time looking and could not find anything. I ended up working fast food part time for a year and commuting for it. So basically I was broke as hell and the free food they would offer me was gladly accepted. I gained back 130 lbs.

I swapped jobs again to a full time job that pays much better and am back on my journey of weight loss. 19 lbs down so far.

How does it happen? For me, life happens. Crap hits the fan and you do your best to deal with it. For me depression set in and I comfort eat which become a huge cycle. I was depressed that I was gaining weight so I ate more to feel better. I am not saying that makes logical sense. Just saying how it worked for me.

For most people, it seems to just sneak up on them. They are aware of it but it is slow enough that for the most part you ignore it.
  • msharrington315
    msharrington315 Posts: 200 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I started at 403 (exactly the opposite of you!)... so, trust me, it can happen... Sad truth about today's world. I have lost over 200 pounds completely natural and have been keeping it off for almost half a year so far. It is not easy, but there are a lot of great supports here in MFP...

Feel free to friend me... that goes for anyone. I can tell you that despite having much success in losing, I need friends too to help motivate me and help me to learn.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It happens... quite easily too. I started at what I assume is 307-315 (my scales did not go that far and I was fatter than the time I weighed myself at a friend's and came out at 303). My intake was basically just one milkshake away from someone of normal weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. You've got this!
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I gained 200lbs when I quit smoking over 15 years ago, I replaced one bad habit with food habit and that's what happened.

SW 330
    CW 218
    GW 130
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I woke up one day after finding a scale with a high enough limit to finally get an accurate reading. What a wake up moment! You'd think the size 54 pants and 4xl shirts would have been a clue, but it wasn't.

SW 397
    CW 312
    GW 210

With over a hundred left to lose, I'd be happy to have anyone along for the ride. Let's motivate!
  • sistermargret
    sistermargret Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started out at over 500 lbs. I spent a few years calorie counting and spending 2-3 hours a day in the gym (easy to do when you have no social life). I got all the way down to 230 lbs. Then I lost my job and spent time looking and could not find anything. I ended up working fast food part time for a year and commuting for it. So basically I was broke as hell and the free food they would offer me was gladly accepted. I gained back 130 lbs.

I swapped jobs again to a full time job that pays much better and am back on my journey of weight loss. 19 lbs down so far.

How does it happen? For me, life happens. Crap hits the fan and you do your best to deal with it. For me depression set in and I comfort eat which become a huge cycle. I was depressed that I was gaining weight so I ate more to feel better. I am not saying that makes logical sense. Just saying how it worked for me.

For most people, it seems to just sneak up on them. They are aware of it but it is slow enough that for the most part you ignore it.

• sistermargret
    Options

• sistermargret
    Options
    Don't know how I did that.

For me... I have always been large, but not fat. Then I got sick. The combination of forced inactivity and medication caused me to go from 170 to 295. I've been at 245-265 since I quit the chair 8 years ago. I'm at 245 again. I want to be 170.