eat at BMR, tdee or what mfp sets?

Options
I'm a still a little confused. I have mfp set to lose 2# a week and that sets me at around 1700 calories. Should I just stick with that or up it to bmr? Or go by my tdee? Sorry, I'm just confused about all this

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Just pick one and stick with it. Either your MFP goal (plus exercise calories or a percentage of them) or TDEE-a certain percentage (e.g., TDEE-20%.)

Do it for four weeks and then tweak it up or down as needed.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    if you post your stats, we could give you some suggestions (current weight, activity level and height). But really the important thing is to pick a reasonable deficit and eat that for a while and see how you feel.

The way MFP is designed, you eat what it tells you. And then you log exercises you do. This earns you additional calories to eat. Most here would recommend only eating back about 50-75% of those "earned" exercise calories.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    c_ross624 wrote: »
    I'm a still a little confused. I have mfp set to lose 2# a week and that sets me at around 1700 calories. Should I just stick with that or up it to bmr? Or go by my tdee? Sorry, I'm just confused about all this

Personally, I used ScoobysWorkshop to figure my TDEE and then subtracted 500 cals for a ~1 lb/week loss. BUT there's absolutely nothing wrong with using MFP's figures as long as you don't set your goal too high (which it seems like you haven't).

If you're using the MFP food logging system, going by their numbers does make it simpler and more convenient. As jemhh said, just make sure whatever you choose is the consistent choice.
  • blessingsfromabove721
    blessingsfromabove721 Posts: 161 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    if you post your stats, we could give you some suggestions (current weight, activity level and height). But really the important thing is to pick a reasonable deficit and eat that for a while and see how you feel.

The way MFP is designed, you eat what it tells you. And then you log exercises you do. This earns you additional calories to eat. Most here would recommend only eating back about 50-75% of those "earned" exercise calories.

I am female, 5'7, 253lbs. I have mfp set to lightly active (I chase around two toddlers all day ) and exercise about 4-5 days a week
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Stick with what MFP tells you. IF, after you try this for a month, you feel changes are needed, then adjust from there.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I am female, 5'7, 253lbs. I have mfp set to lightly active (I chase around two toddlers all day ) and exercise about 4-5 days a week

I put your stats in here (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/) and it does show your BMR at about 1900. But, really, since you're about 100 lbs overweight, it's ok to eat a little below this if it doesn't result in you being famished.

Do you do any exercise at all outside of your daily activities as a mom?

I'd say 1700+50% of exercise calories

or 1900 flat every day (no extra on days you exercise)

are both good STARTING places. Only you can decide if you're too hungry at that level. Know this, though. You can change the MFP settings to "lose 1 lb" per week if you find that at the level it suggests you're simply too hungry. If you change the setting, it'll show something like 2200 as your calorie goal. This is enough food to get a lot of things you enjoy into your diet. But the important thing is consistency and accuracy in logging. Here's some links.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options

I put your stats in here (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/) and it does show your BMR at about 1900. But, really, since you're about 100 lbs overweight, it's ok to eat a little below this if it doesn't result in you being famished.

Do you do any exercise at all outside of your daily activities as a mom?

I'd say 1700+50% of exercise calories

or 1900 flat every day (no extra on days you exercise)

are both good STARTING places. Only you can decide if you're too hungry at that level. Know this, though. You can change the MFP settings to "lose 1 lb" per week if you find that at the level it suggests you're simply too hungry. If you change the setting, it'll show something like 2200 as your calorie goal. This is enough food to get a lot of things you enjoy into your diet. But the important thing is consistency and accuracy in logging. Here's some links.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Yes, I do a combination of t25, just dance on my Wii and on some days I walk..and usually I do this about 4-5 days a week. I actually do feel pretty good at the calories mfp has set. Thank you so much for the feedback!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Try using the app as it's intended to be used (eating extra calories when it gives you some for exercise you did) and see how that goes for a few weeks. If you lose nothing, maybe eat half of those extra calories.

The easiest way is to just follow the app. It works for many people! :)
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    So far using MFP calorie goal is working for me. I am down 14lbs in a month. One small gain due to overindulgence on Labor Day. I don't think that is true weight gain (I didn't eat enough calories over to gain that much weight). I am now using fit bit as well to keep track of my activity and calorie intake. Good luck on your journey regardless of which way you go.