The way people think.

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people - but I'm the only one in my group who is in that situtation. Most everyone else we socialize with in this age group and social bracket are in a really awesome place. And hell, I'm not even THAT far off, so I'm wondering why there's this notion that EVERYONE seems to veer into this outerworld at some point.

Because people ask about wacky diets all the time and demonstrate that they don't know. Or maybe that they wish they didn't have to make big changes.

But it's one thing to kind of have an idea of what you need to do, and totally another to get into the nitty gritty of weighing or measuring your food, leaving some food on your plate at a restaurant, figuring how much of what is going to keep you full & under budget. Etc.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    These message boards along with a few real life experiences with people have convinced me that western civilization has completely lost the basic human function of how to eat. It's quite a sad sign for the human race.

Do you really think that? Is that really what you encounter in your day-to-day life? I'm seriously asking (and removing the "internet forum" aspect)

Yes, absolutely. People know I'm a personal trainer and ask me the dumbest questions about what to eat & have the most bizarre ideas about eating and losing weight.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    In my RL, ive had colleagues give me a look or make a comment like "oh, you were doing so well! What happened?" when they see me drinking a 24 oz starbucks iced mocha, or if I'm eating chips and/or a burger with fries and/or anything that isn't plain raw vegetables with an un seasoned naked grilled chicken breast.

I have to explain cico to people, which usually gets met with "yeah, i know that, but..." and then the food demonizing begins. There is a lot of conflicting diet and nutritional information that is accepted and summarily rejected by many of the people I've encountered in life

Why do you have to explain anything to anyone? Honestly... I don't understand firstly why you'd even be discussing your "diet" with anyone, but then certainly not justifying it to them afterward?

I genuinely don't mind discussing my diet with others who ask, especially if it's something they can learn from and apply to their own health maintenance.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    To answer OP, the general understanding of nutrition by Joe and Sally public depends how the question is asked:

Few can give a quantitative answer to 'what is a Calorie ?' but
    if you asked 'Why do people gain weight ?', I bet almost everybody would say "they eat too much!"

The biggest problem I encounter in talking about weight loss with patients is bridging the gap from 'too much' to 'how much less.' It is non-intuitive that an obese person can continue to eat 95% of their current diet and become thin.

The idea of changing to a new equilibrium is however way belong average comprehension unless it is framed as a lifestyle change.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    To answer OP, the general understanding of nutrition by Joe and Sally public depends how the question is asked:

Few can give a quantitative answer to 'what is a Calorie ?' but
    if you asked 'Why do people gain weight ?', I bet almost everybody would say "they eat too much!"

The biggest problem I encounter in talking about weight loss with patients is bridging the gap from 'too much' to 'how much less.' The idea of changing to a new equilibrium is however way belong average comprehension unless it is framed as a lifestyle change.

I wish you were my doctor. Mine told me to eat less fried food. He didn't know how much fried food I actually ate. He just assumed big fat fatties eat a lot of KFC.

• 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have to explain cico to people, which usually gets met with "yeah, i know that, but..." and then the food demonizing begins. There is a lot of conflicting diet and nutritional information that is accepted and summarily rejected by many of the people I've encountered in life

That's the part that's so puzzling to me. When I see someone who is successful at something, I want to learn from them!

This has happened to me many times - with weight loss and in other areas where I've gotten good at something. People see my success, and ask about it, but then criticize and dismiss anything I say.

It's just so bizarre.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    These message boards along with a few real life experiences with people have convinced me that western civilization has completely lost the basic human function of how to eat. It's quite a sad sign for the human race.

Do you really think that? Is that really what you encounter in your day-to-day life? I'm seriously asking (and removing the "internet forum" aspect)

Yes, absolutely. People know I'm a personal trainer and ask me the dumbest questions about what to eat & have the most bizarre ideas about eating and losing weight.

Huh. I guess maybe that small subset shouldn't give you a sad sign for the human race though?

• Venus_Red
    Options
    In my RL, ive had colleagues give me a look or make a comment like "oh, you were doing so well! What happened?" when they see me drinking a 24 oz starbucks iced mocha, or if I'm eating chips and/or a burger with fries and/or anything that isn't plain raw vegetables with an un seasoned naked grilled chicken breast.

Why do you have to explain anything to anyone? Honestly... I don't understand firstly why you'd even be discussing your "diet" with anyone, but then certainly not justifying it to them afterward?

I genuinely don't mind discussing my diet with others who ask, especially if it's something they can learn from and apply to their own health maintenance.

Are you ever in a social situation with grown ups who ask you what you are eating and why?

Please explain this to me. I can't wrap my head around why this would ever happen unless you opened it up for a conversation.

• Protranser
    Options

Are you ever in a social situation with grown ups who ask you what you are eating and why?

Please explain this to me. I can't wrap my head around why this would ever happen unless you opened it up for a conversation.

I was at a bar (minimum age to enter: 21 years old) and an old friend who met me for drinks said "holy *kitten* did you lose like a ton of weight? What are you doing?"

How would you answer this? I have a feeling there is a very specific answer you want to see
  • Venus_Red
    Options
    Yeah, I lost weight.

Because you did. Right? That person really doesn't want the nuts and bolts. Why do you think they do?
  • Protranser
    Options
    Yeah, I lost weight.

Because you did. Right? That person really doesn't want the nuts and bolts. Why do you think they do?
    Because their follow up question was "What are you doing?"

Why do you think they didn't want to know even though they very clearly asked?
  • Protranser
    Options
    Yeah, I lost weight.

Are you ever in a social situation with grown ups who ask you what you did to achieve something that they found worthy of note but didn't really want to hear your answer?

Please explain this to me. I can't wrap my head around why this would ever happen unless you were being purposefully obtuse.
  • Venus_Red
    Options
    I can't imagine being in a social situation with grown ups who would be that all up in my business. It wouldn't go farther than 'you've lost weight' at that.
  • Protranser
    Options
    I can't imagine being in a social situation with grown ups who would be that all up in my business. It wouldn't go farther than 'you've lost weight' at that.

It's not like he was asking me how many inches i can handle before i gag, or if i wanted to top or bottom that night. Asking what i did to lose weight is not a personal question.
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    Options

Really?? It goes like exactly like this
    an old friend [or coworker, or acquaintance] who met me for drinks said "holy *kitten* did you lose like a ton of weight? What are you doing?"

And then you go "blah blah"

And they go "well I've just read blah blah, and blah blah" or "I just signed up for blah blah, and blah blah"

And you go "hey that's great!" or "you should check out blah blah" or "blah blah really worked for me, anyway"

If you're a woman talking to women, it goes on for way longer than that.
  • Venus_Red
    Options

It's not like he was asking me how many inches i can handle before i gag, or if i wanted to top or bottom that night. Asking what i did to lose weight is not a personal question.

Nice.
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    Options

Nice.

You can't be a woman, actually, if you asked that question. Food and weight talk is unfortunately often a whole lot of what goes on in conversation.
  • Protranser
    Options

Nice.

Did i give you the answer you were looking for, yet? o:)
  • Venus_Red
    Options
    Sorry?? Did you grab the wrong quote?
  • Venus_Red
    Options

Nice.

Did i give you the answer you were looking for, yet? o:)

No, you obfuscated efficiently. We're done. You can move along.