I HATE salads!!!!!

Options

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I also like to eat veggies with things, Like cottage cheese with diced tomatoes added
  • Asherberry
    Asherberry Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    do you like veggies in soup? The soups I make/buy are basically hot liquid salads.
    Yes, I do like veggies in soup. I just have a hard time with raw ones. And, I also don't eat meat! So figure that out, no meat and hates salads... LOL
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I hate salads too, but I eat a bunch of veggies. .5 cup each of broccoli, spinach, "mixed", and kale, FROZEN, in a bowl. Add BBQ sauce and olive oil and some random meat on top. Microwave for 3 minutes. Chop it all up with a knife when it's done and add some scrambled eggs on top. Awesome meal.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Lol. A salad drenched to a full fat dressing is the only way to go if eating salad.
    I disagree, I grew up eating my salads with no dressing at all while the rest of my family drowned their greens in it. It wasn't for health reasons, I just didn't like dressing.
    I don't mind naked salads but I prefer a full fat dressing - different tastes.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've never met anyone who didn't like a(n authentic) Greek salad.
    If I had, I wouldn't trust them... ;)
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Walden-Farms-WF47-Bacon-Ranch/dp/B00024D8SA

Then I crumble some bacon on the salad, maybe some almond slivers, and eat hearty.
  • Asherberry
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »

LOL!!!! :)

• Asherberry
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    I'm a fan of this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Walden-Farms-WF47-Bacon-Ranch/dp/B00024D8SA

Then I crumble some bacon on the salad, maybe some almond slivers, and eat hearty.
    Wow, they have an excellent selection of all kinds of products. Have you tried the coffee creamers?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Asherberry wrote: »
    Like seriously, ew. I have tried countless different recipes, ingredients, methods. Blech. I just can't do it - unless it's covered with something totally bad for me (think cheese or Caesar dressing).
    Anyone have any good ideas to help get veggies (especially in a packed lunch) that aren't salads?

Thanks everyone!

Nothing is bad for you. You don't have to eat salads if you don't like them either, just eat what you normally do at a deficit and you will lose weight.

I love my salads with lettuce, tomato, olives, lactose free cheese, avocado, chicken, and I've come to love a lite raspberry walnut vinaigrette. All these ingredients are weighed out, vinaigrette measured out, salt and pepper, and I've got a meal (along with a slice of homemade bread and butter, both weighed out as well).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

I love my Greek salad.
  • andrikosDE
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I love my Greek salad.

You seem trustworthy. :smiley:
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    ^ raw veggies with hummus and/or tzatziki. Yum.

I never buy this pre-made. Ever. Both are easy to make at home. Hummus I make in large batches - I pressure cook four cups of dried beans - and freeze in smaller packages I can thaw and use up over the course of a week. The combo is a good source of carbs and fibre and tastes good.

Tzatziki made with 2% or 4% Greek yogurt is delicious and even faster to make than hummus. Grate very finely a peeled cucumber; salt it and let the water drain out and/or press water through a sieve; meanwhile crush very finely a clove or two of garlic. Mix everything together in a large container of good yogurt; salt and pepper to taste, I add a bit of cayenne. Good for a week, tastes great on raw veggies, on meats, on Indian food even.

I'll use it as a base for salad dressing, sometimes will add dill to it, sometimes may thin with a bit of buttermilk if we have some and crumble a salmon burger on top. Want ranch, mix in a bit of mayo. Etc.

Add a few drops of vinegar and a bit of olive oil in your tzatziki. It makes the difference between yoghurt dressing and tzatziki ;)
  • andrikosDE
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

I never buy this pre-made. Ever. Both are easy to make at home. Hummus I make in large batches - I pressure cook four cups of dried beans - and freeze in smaller packages I can thaw and use up over the course of a week. The combo is a good source of carbs and fibre and tastes good.

Tzatziki made with 2% or 4% Greek yogurt is delicious and even faster to make than hummus. Grate very finely a peeled cucumber; salt it and let the water drain out and/or press water through a sieve; meanwhile crush very finely a clove or two of garlic. Mix everything together in a large container of good yogurt; salt and pepper to taste, I add a bit of cayenne. Good for a week, tastes great on raw veggies, on meats, on Indian food even.

I'll use it as a base for salad dressing, sometimes will add dill to it, sometimes may thin with a bit of buttermilk if we have some and crumble a salmon burger on top. Want ranch, mix in a bit of mayo. Etc.

Add a few drops of vinegar and a bit of olive oil in your tzatziki. It makes the difference between yoghurt dressing and tzatziki ;)

Absolutely.
    Plus you can go two additional ways to make it:

1) add finely chopped fresh mint or hand-smashed dried mint to taste (Cyprus way)
    or
    2) add dried dill. That's the Greek American way, at least that's how we did it at a Greek restaurant.
  • Asherberry
    Options

Absolutely.

1) add finely chopped fresh mint or hand-smashed dried mint to taste (Cyprus way)
    or
    2) add dried dill. That's the Greek American way, at least that's how we did it at a Greek restaurant.

I have to try this!

• andrikosDE
    Options
    Asherberry wrote: »

Absolutely.

or

I have to try this!

I forgot to mention lemon juice to taste kicks it up a notch.

It gets better day after day. Even a week old well made tzatziki is heavenly awesome.

Try it as a "sauce" over a nicely poached or grilled fish. It's amazing.
    Even breaded/deep fried fish tastes awesome with it.
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You could chop tiny amounts of items like tomatos, lettuce, cucumber, red onion and add to sandwiches.
    With omelettes add in tiny amounts of chopped mushrooms, bell peppers, spinach etc just to get you used to salad and veg in tiny amounts at first.

As you are a vegetarian do you cook with quorn mince? it is similar to ordinary ground beef/minced beef in being the basis of bolognaise, shepherds pie, chilli con carne , meatloaf, meatballs, lasagne etc

I would cook your vegetarian "mince" with garlic, chopped onions, mushrooms, sweetcorn, grated carrot, white onion, bell peppers, leeks, any left over vegetables and then add a few cans of chopped tomatos, or plum tomatos or red tomato/pasta sauce, then tip it all in the blender and whizz for a few seconds so the vegetables are smaller than the tiniest lumps.

You could make that sauce from blended vegetables alone and serve over pasta with parmesan cheese

Like other posters have said nothing wrong with vegetable soups which you can also blend down to almost invisible.

You can liquidise many fruits and vegetables, kale and spinach are good in green smoothies. Beetroot could be blended into a berry smoothie.

If you are a cake lover you could make a very healthy carrot cake, i have added grated turnip to apple pies and beetroot can be grated into chocolate cakes, both before cooking obviously.

You could make savory vegetable muffins, add dried fruits such as raisins, cherries apricots, banana and apple to all kinds of cereal and biscuit bars. Carob, honey and raw grated coconut transform many baked goods.

Try roasting your vegetables the mediterranean way... just quarter raw potatos, tomatos, courgettes, aubergines, red onions and bake in the oven drizzled with olive oil, im fortunate in having a rosemary bush right outside in my front garden, it is a very hardy plant which has spikes all year round, that rosemary gets added to everything with garlic and olive oil. I use olive oil for everything as it is a monosaturate and very good for the heart. Mediterranean people have the best heart health in the world due to their use of olive oils. I literally could not cook without olive oil, garlic, rosemary, lemon juice in the house.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Vegetables don't have to be eaten in a salad. Make a soup, roast them, grill them, put them in a pie, add them to a pilaf, saute them, make them into a dip or a sauce, grind some with your ground beef (it actually makes it more juicy, try it!), put them on a pizza, stuff them with yummy things, make a veggie wrap, load your omelets with them, add them to shakes, bulk your pasta with them, add interesting spices to them, hide them in chili or meatloaf... the possibilities are endless.. and if all fails, make the salads the way you like them and eat them. As long as they don't take you over your goal you should be fine.

Don't make arbitrary rules in your head that you should eat this or that. You don't have to force yourself to like certain vegetables if you don't like them, other boring vegetables that you may enjoy but are not as hyped up are perfectly healthy and full of good nutrients just like the "cool" ones.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Try bolthouse dressing, it's fewer calories AND tastes good.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you don't like salads, don't eat salads. There are ten million ways to prepare veggies. Buy or borrow some cookbooks and start trying new things. You'll find some that you like. :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Today, zucchini breaded with garlic roasted and parmesan cheese in pan with some EVOO; sesame sticks, cashews, Ranch dressing with cilantro pureed in the dressing, and some olives on a bed of greens. It wasn't a salad. . . . . hehehe